Adreno 220 in touchpad actually outclasses tegra 2 ?

Associate
just found out that the adreno gpu (220) in the touchpad actually outclasses tegra 2. is this true ? a lot of sources claim its 2x as fast. this could make porting android to the touchpad so attractive with superior fps. subsequently does anyone have info on the tegra 3 ? and if theres a line up of tabs to use it ? i heard its release is august, but were nearly coming to its end. this whole shebang now makes the touchpad look so attractive ! too bad i didnt get one :(

Soldato
There should be at least one Tegra 3 tablet out in Q4 and around 5 times as powerful as Tegra 2.

Also I wouldn't be surprised, Tegra 2 doesn't actually seem to be that powerful in practice =/

Last edited:
Soldato
I also heard somewhere that the Tegra 2 was slower than the Adreno. Not sure how it works with the CPU/GPU portions. , not sure whether it was the OS or the chip but from my experiences with Tegra 2 devices they are far slower.

Soldato
Adreno 220 is not particularly fast. It's about on par with a good SGX540 and a little faster than tegra 2. Solid but nothing to write home about...

Tegra 2 was never high end, it was designed as a cheap dual SoC that could be manufactured asap (it was released before the OG iPad don't forget)
Perfect for stuff like the LG 2X and Vega, not for high end honeycomb tablets.
(Tegra 3's gpu could end up being limited due to nVidia cost cutting the memory bandwidth again but it solves most of tegra 2's problems with epic decoding and full neon hardware)

Oh yeah, the iPad 2 (two SXG543 cores) and SGS2 (4 Mali cores) both have significantly faster GPUs, esp the iPad.

Soldato
Adreno 220 is not particularly fast. It's about on par with a good SGX540 and a little faster than tegra 2. Solid but nothing to write home about...

Tegra 2 was never high end, it was designed as a cheap dual SoC that could be manufactured asap (it was released before the OG iPad don't forget)
Perfect for stuff like the LG 2X and Vega, not for high end honeycomb tablets.
(Tegra 3's gpu could end up being limited due to nVidia cost cutting the memory bandwidth again but it solves most of tegra 2's problems with epic decoding and full neon hardware)

Oh yeah, the iPad 2 (two SXG543 cores) and SGS2 (4 Mali cores) both have significantly faster GPUs, esp the iPad.

The Adreno 220 is around two to five times the speed of the Adreno 205:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4243/...mance-1-5-ghz-msm8660-adreno-220-benchmarks/2

It is faster than the SGX540. The Tegra 2 IGP is much slower.

It also looks like the MALI400 is also slower:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4177/samsungs-galaxy-s-ii-preliminary-performance-mali400-benchmarked

Last edited:
Soldato
Stop looking at old benchmarks run with beta drivers at trade show! lol ;)

Oh yeah, Anand was just rebuffing a fake article published by engadget and other dumb hype blogs. (webOS running 'twice as fast' on the iPad 2 tosh)

Have a look at the latest 3D benchmark results.

http://nena.se/nenamark/view?version=2

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp

The first link also has the benchmarks done at multiple resolutions too. There is also a large variation in results too due to the fact many of the CPUs are overclocked and some look quite weird too which seems to be also down to drivers too. If you look at the MALI400 results with the stock 1.2GHZ CPU in the SOC the results vary from 38 to 56. Most scores seem to be between 38 and 47. I suspect that the higher results are down to a CPU overclock which has not been picked up by the software.

The results for the Adreno 220 are very inconsistent too. Their are phones running at the default 1.2GHZ clockspeed which seem to produce higher framerates at 960x540 than 800X480. You are looking at 26 to 33 for the Adreno 220 at 960X540 with a 1.2GHZ GPU. With 35% less pixels that is between 36 to 44 at at 800X480 which is in the same ballpark as the MALI400.

On top of this the 1.2GHZ Samsung Exynos 4210 is a faster CPU than the 1.2GHZ Qualcomm MSM8260. The former is an out of order design and the latter is an in order design meant for high clockspeeds.

Considering that the MALI400 has been out for over 6 months as opposed to 3 months for the Adreno 220,I expect Adreno 220 performance to improve as will be used in more models than the MALI400. Even,in the GLBenchmark website the MALI400 wins the Egypt benchmark but still the Adreno 220 wins in the Pro benchmark considering it is pushing 35% more pixels.

All the MALI400 devices are WVGA. Unless there is a test of a MALI400 device at qHD the results don't indicate anything. You need more memory bandwidth if you are pushing 35% more pixels. The GPUs in the XGA tablets need to push even more pixels than the qHD phones.

Again it is pointless comparing results between different operating sytems though(second link). You might as well compare the gaming performance of Ubuntu 11.04 ,Windows 7 and OS X 10.6 using the same hardware. The benchmark also tests at multiple resolutions too.

This is why controlled testing from websites like Anandtech are a better indication of what the actual performance will be.

...or the latest set of Anandtech benchmarks here. (No SGS2 though)

The Adreno 220 is pretty new too so drivers will also take time to improve just like with Nvidia and AMD graphics cards..

Perhaps you need to look at the resolutions in the Anandtech review you linked to.

"Next are RightWare’s Basemark ES 2.0 which is the latest version of the ever popular 3DMark Mobile ES 2.0, itself an industry standard. The test has two main tests and then a variety of subtests, and Adreno 220 maintains a lead here over the faster SGX 540, but we can see already how much that extra ~100 MHz advantage helps the Droid 3 over the Droid Charge’s Hummingbird (A8 + SGX 540 at 200 MHz). We run at the same VGA resolution here so the results are comparable despite the different display sizes."

39978.png

The SGX540 is slower.

39979.png

The SGX540 is slower.

"The ever popular GLBenchmark 2.0 is also an industry standard and a regular fixation in our smartphone benchmarking section, and the Droid 3 results mirror what we saw both way back when the device popped up online in the results browser and our initial testing two weeks ago with the phone. GLBenchmark runs in full screen mode, so keep in mind the qHD versus WVGA discrepancy when comparing results. We can easily again see that the higher clocked OMAP4430 SGX 540 changes things up nicely. "

qHD=960X540(518400 pixels)
WVGA=800X480(384000 pixels)

The Adeno 220 phones have to render 35% more pixels.

39973.png

39974.png

So in three of the four benchmarks tested the Adreno 220 is faster than the overclocked SGX540 and the Tegra 2 IGP.

"Next up is what started it all for us, the Quake 3 Android port “kwakk3” which is starting to show its age and is basically at the FPS cap on newer devices with newer GPUs. We’ve kept it around for the Droid 3 however just to illustrate how quickly things like this have gone from being almost unplayable a year ago to fluid on modern hardware. Anand keeps saying hyper Moore’s law, and this is just one more data point you can point at as supporting that hypothesis. "

39963.png

So in 5 tests at qHD,the SGX540 is slower in three. The Droid 3 SKU also has an overclocked GPU which means other implementations of the SGX540 are slower. This is why the results of the first Anandtech article are valid as they use a standard SGX540 and not a special overclocked one.

Considering that the SGX540 has been around for a year,I suspect better drivers will mean the Adreno 220 will have improved performance in future reviews. It has barely been around for three months in production form. The original Anandtech article I linked to used a development platform too, so it means performance was not final either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why dont any of those benchmarks have a SGS II in them.

Anandtech has not tested a production phone yet as it has not been yet released in the US:

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/08/15/samsung-galaxy-s2-us-release-before-iphone-5/

There is this preview:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4177/samsungs-galaxy-s-ii-preliminary-performance-mali400-benchmarked

However,as mentioned before the drivers are immature.

I suspect next month Anandtech will test a production Samsung Galaxy S2 against the competition.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried the video in my previous post at 1080p and Big Buck Bunny at 1080p too. At times there was slight stutter although I cannot say whether this is more a WebOS driver issue or not. OTH,the battery is at 14% ATM. I will charge the battery up and try again later.

The SGX530 in my Defy was fine at 720p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anandtech has not tested a production phone yet as it has not been yet released in the US:

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/08/15/samsung-galaxy-s2-us-release-before-iphone-5/

There is this preview:

However,as mentioned before the drivers are immature.

I suspect next month Anandtech will test a production Samsung Galaxy S2 against the competition.

Ok thanks dude, would really like to see sensation vs SGS II in a proper benchmark instead of just quadrant.

P.S. benchmarks of the LG 2x arnt really fair as it doesnt have a cap at 60frames like most other phones.

Last edited:
Soldato
^ Err, just look at the results for yourself? I've already linked some of the benchmarks.
The SGS2 consistently delivers over double the Sensations fps (It's pushing 35% less pixels but the difference is massive compared to anything else)

Adreno 220 also supports High Profile x264 decode :D.

That's due to the S3's large decoder not Adreno 220, mobile GPUs have been able to output 1080p for ages.

The SGX530 in my Defy was fine at 720p.

:eek: The real 720p flash on the desktop site? What OS/flash build are you running? (Flash doesn't use the GPU or decoder on Android 2.x, it's all SIMD (VFPv3/Neon) ability. That's why playback sucks compared to native players)

Last edited:
Soldato
:eek: The real 720p flash on the desktop site? What OS/flash build are you running? (Flash doesn't use the GPU or decoder on Android 2.x, it's all SIMD (VFPv3/Neon) ability. That's why playback sucks compared to native players)

Just checked the Defy was defaulting to the YouTube mobile website. It was 720p HTML5 which was probably playing.

The TouchPad was fine on the desktop site at 720p but there was slight stuttering at 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom