No dvi display during post

Soldato
I have a new hazro hz27wc monitor. When i first connected it to my ati 5770 it both worked great.

I connected it to a gtx 480 which turned out to be faulty (corruption after fresh ibstall hangs etc)

The problem that i now have is that there is no display duribg post. When it changes to the windows login page, it flicks on and works. Connecting a samsung screen via vga, a post screen is seen then goes to the hazro on login page.

What has connecting the faulty nvidia card done to stop {vesa 320?} Mode from working on my ati card?

My motherboard is a gigabyte g-ep45-ds3p

Soldato
OP
I think im on the right trail here -

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvitrouble/dvitrouble.html

Symptoms: BIOS and powerup screens aren't visible but monitor works fine in Windows...

My hazr doesnt have 640x480 available, only 800x600. Strange that it worked before i plugged am nvidia card in.

Is it possible that connecting the nvidia has then pushed a change to the ati card or resolution sets of the monitor?

Soldato
OP
The monitor works fine once in windows (upto the login screen)
It can be set to 640x480 so no problem there
Ive tried a different dvi-d cable and the same issue happens
Graphics card has output for dvi, vga and hdmi.

Hazro monitor just has dvi (and 3.5mm stereo)

Have to say, im pretty stumped with this one

Soldato
OP
So have you tried resetting the cmos?

I've gone into BIOS and set defaults and tried removing the cmos battery then putting it back in after a minute or so. Does this reset cmos? (I havent had to reset cmos for years so unsure how to now) Is it still done with a jumper?

I have a clear cmos button, will try that now...

Last edited:
Soldato
Turn off power to the psu. Remove battery brieftly then replace and turn power back on.

If you can still get the bios up on the monitor that's something, that was a concern. I can't see what else could have changed if not for an option in the bios.

It sounds like your monitor does what my second "extended" monitor does on boot. The main screen shows the system checks and the second is in standby till windows login. Why it's doing it now when it worked before is a puzzle.

Soldato
OP
I tried restarting and pressing the 'clr cmos' button on my motherboard. Nothings seems to have changd but i couldnt see the post screen.

I can still get to the bios screen on a vga monitor

It is like its using it as an extended monitor. A vga screen works whilst in post then switches and works on my main screen.

I will try removing the cmos battery again tomorrow

Soldato
OP
Just having a read through this thread.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=185042

However some monitors don't play fair and provide the right signal to say "I'm here"

However, when I connect another graphics card (the faulty nvidia) then there is a signal during post, so it cant be the monitor not working correctly.

The only thing I can think that I need to fash the BIOS on my ATI 5770. (not sure why it would have changed though)

edit - seems like quite a few people have similar issues. Not sure why I should have to update my motherboard BIOS, i doubt that connecting an Nvidia card would somehow change something on my motherboard - maybe it would though?!

BIOS on my motherboard is F8 - http://www.gigabyte.pk/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2841#bios

Another similar problem-
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58229

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ive wokred out its nothing to do with a faulty nvidia card now, i think i left my pc on and plugged the monitor it. It was working in windows so then removed drivers installed the Nvidia 480 GTX.

The next time i put the ati back in, it didnt work on post

Back
Top Bottom