4850 red light (again!)

Associate
Ok
I know I've had this problem a few times but I can't find a solution.
My computer suddenly switched off today after a week of BSOD and a randomly loud CPU fan. Now when I switch it on I get two red lights and then a constant red light. Computer powers up fine but the screen is blank.
I have also tried removing the battery
Specs:
Gigabyte ga-ma770t ud3p
Phenom 955
2gb xms3
600w zalman psu
Xfx 4850 1gb
Stock cooler (planning to replace this as pc was 80c during battlefield 3)
is it time to start spending some money on this budget build?)
Any help appreciated!

Caporegime
Is it the LED's on the HD 4850 which are lit up?

There are 2 on the card.

D1601 - Over temp protection enabled

D1602 - EXT 12V fault

Check the picture below for which LED it is.

So it looks like you have an overheating or power problem.

If it's an overheating problem try cleaning the cooler to get rid of dust etc. ot maybe even re-seat the cooler as a last resort.

If it's a power problem the ensure the power cable is securely connected and/or try a different power cable if you have one.

Associate
OP
its the one on the right and since that image is the wrong way around I would assume that is d1602. Now the signal has changed. Now its constantly flashing twice every 2 seconds or so.

Caporegime
its the one on the right and since that image is the wrong way around I would assume that is d1602. Now the signal has changed. Now its constantly flashing twice every 2 seconds or so.

Cheeky, wrong way around indeed.

And after all the effort I put into finding the image for you and identifying the LED's.

If it's the LED closest to the "rear" of the card (the "front" being where the video connectors are) then that's D1602 so it's a power issue.

Check the power cable, try a different cable, try a molex to PCI-E power adapter (there was probably one with the card).

Associate
OP
It's the one at the back closest to the 6 pin. I can't believe its a power supply issue. A temperature issue I can very easily believe. The only problem I have is that I've just had an operation and am in no condition to be messing around with my computer so I have to wait till the weekend for my brother to get back from uni. Will try though and see what happens

PS didn't mean to criticize :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's the one at the back closest to the 6 pin. I can't believe its a power supply issue. A temperature issue I can very easily believe. The only problem I have is that I've just had an operation and am in no condition to be messing around with my computer so I have to wait till the weekend for my brother to get back from uni. Will try though and see what happens

I'm only telling you what the LED's mean.

If you don't believe it....

Back
Top Bottom