3x 120Hz Eyefinity Portrait Setup

Associate
3x 30" was a setup I had previous done and it was a bit overwhelming. Not to mention I do not care for 60 Hz.

This is my attempt at a portrait setup running 120Hz smoothness yet retaining some of the benefits of high resolution and also having a THIN bezel:

3xSamsungOwl1.jpg

This took quite some custom work and is about as thin as bezels as I think can be possible for Eyefinity. Now I knew before going into this that TN panels have serious viewing angle restrictions that is exacerbated in portrait. Although, the largest fall-off is on the right hand screen on the last 1/3rd, it doesn't bother me a great deal as it usually only is quite noticeable on dark images.

On the desktop above straight on you can see it handles fairly decent. Still tweaking the screen alignment.

Cons: Viewing angle especially on outer portion of right screen is livable but could be better.

Pros: 120Hz smoothness, thin bezels, glossy panels (personal preference), LED low power/heat, decent high-resolution.

Planning on playing BF3 and Guild Wars 2 on this setup.

What do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/zPACzI9yUSA?hd=1

Last edited:
Associate
This is my setup but really would like 120hz, only thing is will the 1920x1080p res lookover size on the Samsungs? what res is your desktop at? Ta

Associate
If you have the Graphics capability to run 3 screens at 120fps on High/Ultra then i think its definitely worth it, but personally i think 120Hz is slightly over rated but thats me.

Soldato
That looks very nice, it's the first time I've seen a triple monitor setup that looks like the bezels wouldn't be distracting. What custom work did you do?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry, I did not take any pictures of the whole process as I'd figure individuals willing to do such mods are extremely rare. Although, I could do a write up if people are seriously interested in purchasing these screens. I figure I have about 15 hours or so in this mod. The largest issue is that these monitors are real fragile inside. Especially when handling the circuit boards and ribbon cables etc. Along with that is removing the micro-fan with a heat gun when gutting the base/stand. Since the bezels and sub-housing retainers are removed I had to custom secure the LCD panels to the backlights so that they do not fall out. ;)

Associate
Sorry, I did not take any pictures of the whole process as I'd figure individuals willing to do such mods are extremely rare. Although, I could do a write up if people are seriously interested in purchasing these screens. I figure I have about 15 hours or so in this mod. The largest issue is that these monitors are real fragile inside. Especially when handling the circuit boards and ribbon cables etc. Along with that is removing the micro-fan with a heat gun when gutting the base/stand. Since the bezels and sub-housing retainers are removed I had to custom secure the LCD panels to the backlights so that they do not fall out. ;)

Definatelly be interested and would love to see any pics of the mod you did take as I'm sure a few others would as well as its a cracking job :)

Associate
OP
Thanks will your triple stand hold them landscape? if so what model is it :)

Sorry, I did not try landscape but it looks like it would hold them.

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-Trip...VF1U/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1319895115&sr=8-8

Oh and here is a video of my setup trying to get BF3 to run properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPACzI9yUSA

One bad thing about portrait Eyefinity/Surround is you invariably run into problems. Here you can see BF3 only using GPU's #1 and #4 for some damn reason.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom