DCS:- Black Shark 2

Soldato
This update to the original Black Shark brings the Ka-50 up to the standard of DCS:- A-10 Warthog and provides for Multiplayer compatibility between the two.

Black Shark 2 Released

DUXFORD, UK, November 2nd, 2011 – The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics have released the new benchmark in PC air combat simulation with the release of “Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark 2”. “DCS: Black Shark 2” is a simulation of the Russian Ka-50 attack helicopter and the next entry in the Digital Combat Simulator combat series. "DCS: Black Shark 2" is a greatly improved version of the original "DCS: Black Shark" that brings many new features.

The Ka-50 "Black Shark" is a unique and deadly single-seat, Russian attack helicopter that has seen combat in the Northern Caucasus. It combines a high performance dual rotor system with a deadly weapons payload of guided missiles, rockets, bombs, and a 30mm cannon. The Ka-50 is also unique in that it has an ejection seat.

The "DCS: Black Shark 2" upgrade requires "DCS: Black Shark" and is available for $19.99. "DCS: Black Shark 2" is also available as a full product at $39.99. Both versions can be purchased online at:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop&lang=en

Improvements over the original "DCS: Black Shark" include:

• Updated Mission Editor with many new features
• New air, land, and sea AI units at incredible levels of detail
• Improved AI for a smarter, more realistic behavior
• Expanded map area to the east to include Tbilisi and location of the 2008 Georgian War
• Dynamic weather with variable weather fronts, winds, and precipitation
• Improved graphics effects like HDR
• Improved low level terrain graphics like grass, bushes, tree shadows and high resolution textures provide a better sense of speed when hugging the Earth
• New campaign based on a follow-on to the 2008 Georgian War
• Network compatibility with "DCS: A-10C Warthog"
• Dynamic shadows in cockpit
• Improved 3D model of Ka-50 cockpit
• Fast mission generator to easily and quickly generate missions
• Takeoff and landings from pitching and rolling ships according to wind speed and direction
• Radio messages from all other friendly flights helps makes the battlefield come to life
• Improved FARP textures

“DCS: Black Shark 2” is internally developed by Eagle Dynamics for The Fighter Collection. Further information can be found at http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

I'll try to find some decent screenshots too.

Nate

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, that was the original plan, but plans change. It was decided that it wasn't viable to do for free and in turn some new features were thrown in as well. This is much more than the patch that was first proposed.

Soldato
I probably won't ever fly DCS until it has as dynamic campaign like Falcon4.
I love the graphics, physics and detail of the DCS series, but scripted missions do not interest me in the slightest.

Soldato
Cheers Nate--IRL-- mm now do i go into work next week or not ? the price of 3 and half beers and i see people on the dc forums are complaining seriously :D

Associate
I thought the update was going to be free to existing users, I guess I was wrong :(

Me too, bought both titles recently :(

*** Be warned, I dont think the update works with the steam version at present. ***

edit... why did I think it was free?

Also, Black shark is getting a big upgrade, for free, in the next month or so, to Warthogs Graphics and Sim engine.

Nate

Supposidly charging for the update has been on the cards for over a year =/

Last edited:
Soldato
$20 for an update of this magnitude on a sim that is several years old? Not what I'd call unexpected or untoward.

Far too many sims to play these days :p

Soldato
OP
Not sure, but I'm currently checking a fix for the Upgrade version that will work on the Steam BS1 version. Currently this can only be bought from ED themselves.

But honestly, given past experiences Gimpy, It could take ages to appear on steam, I just don't know.

Nate

Soldato
Yep , Classic Bait and switch

I should have figured something as under handed and low was on the cards

After all they marketed A-10C with the Nevada map .....
then when they released it ... no sign of it and then added the
master server requirement so people cant even play on LAN if they dont have a connection to
the internet.

So much for being "modular"

I might try the "Demo" version when it is rlsed in a few days , and see if it
is worth buying ......

Dons flame proof suit for the eagle lienamics fanbois , who are sure to appear
Proclaiming ...... wow dude I would pay $100 for this if I could,
so what if they lied to us,
its ok to have to pay for the software twice .... etc etc etc

Last edited:
Associate
If it was nobody outside of ED knew about it, I certainly didn't, and I'd hate to be accused of misleading anybody deliberately.

Nate

Deliberate or otherwise it was misleading. EtherealN who is also part of the ED Testers team to which I believe you are also a member was quick to state "Also, the relevant portion of the FAQ has said "upgrade", not "patch", for almost a year."

Personally I think they should have made it more clear. If I owned the game from release then I wouldnt grudge 20 quid for an upgrade, however just buying the game recently and thinking the update was comming for free, then it just feels like a ripoff.

Soldato
As expected the "mods" (term used loosely) on the Eagle Lienamics forums
have went and started deleting ANY posts asking any critical questions
eg why we are paying twice for the same thing.......

great PR this does not make.

My advice is spend your money else where until this company stops
acting in such an arrogant manner.

Soldato
Just posted this on the forum but it got deleted:

And here we go with the same **** we had with Warthog and Black Shark 1.

Will BS be on Steam
NO

Will Warthog be on Steam
NO

Will BS2 be on Steam
NO

Will the BS add-on be free
Maybe/we assume/sure it will be/maybe not

The incompetence in this place is astounding.

Someone, somewhere involved with publishing/marketing is doing a **** job.

Sorry if this sounds like I am trolling, I am not, just generally ****** off with all this from you guys.

Yes, you have your "hardcore" fan base which is awesome. I understand you make more money by selling games directly from yourselves and your "hardcore" base will always buy directly but there are a large number who do not want to buy directly and suffer the DRM restrictions etc etc. And believe it or not, there are people who just like to buy their games from Steam and not have download accounts scattered here, there and everywhere.

I do not understand the problems you guys have with Valve when nearly every indie dev who uses them have nothing but praise. The hardest thing about being on Steam, is actually getting on Steam. I can only surmise that when you talk about "terms" and "contracts" with Valve it is financial, if so, shame on you.

The games industry has evolved, no longer can a dev survive on just direct downloads from themselves and retail copies. People like choice and if you do not offer it to them, ultimately, you will be the ones losing out.

If you are worried about losing "day 1 monies" then stagger Steam releases to be a month or so after the release on your own website. The "Hardcore" fan base get their game straight away (The money goes directly to you) and those who want to buy on Steam get to do so (Sure, you make less money but less profit is better than no profit and ultimately the more people who play your sims, the better).

This probably has not came across has intended as I am in a rush but if not, have a nice day.

Edit: Why delete a post just because you do not agree with it?

Oh well, will keep my money in my pocket then.

Ooh.. email from the forum.

Your posts have been deleted as it is in direct contravention of rule 1.10.

If you cannot seem to state your opinion in a mature, civil and respectful manner then do not state it al all insofar as these boards are concerned.

If you have an issue with the moderation policy the PM a Community manager and report the issue. Do not however undermine the administrative action already undertaken by reposting content that is disrespectful and defamatory - I would have thought that common decency is a trait that would not have to be consciously worked on - I was wrong it seems.

Ok, even though the swearies were fully starred, it was still in breach of their policies.

Ok, will repost with swearies removed.

No, BS2 will not be sold via Steam.

And here we go with the same nonsense we had with Warthog and Black Shark 1.

Will BS be on Steam
NO

Will Warthog be on Steam
NO

Will BS2 be on Steam
NO

Will the BS add-on be free
Maybe/we assume/sure it will be/maybe not

The incompetence in this place is astounding.

Someone, somewhere involved with publishing/marketing is doing a poor job.

Sorry if this sounds like I am trolling, I am not, just generally cheesed off with all this from you guys.

Yes, you have your "hardcore" fan base which is awesome. I understand you make more money by selling games directly from yourselves and your "hardcore" base will always buy directly but there are a large number who do not want to buy directly and suffer the DRM restrictions etc etc. And believe it or not, there are people who just like to buy their games from Steam and not have download accounts scattered here, there and everywhere.

I do not understand the problems you guys have with Valve when nearly every indie dev who uses them have nothing but praise. The hardest thing about being on Steam, is actually getting on Steam. I can only surmise that when you talk about "terms" and "contracts" with Valve it is financial, if so, shame on you.

The games industry has evolved, no longer can a dev survive on just direct downloads from themselves and retail copies. People like choice and if you do not offer it to them, ultimately, you will be the ones losing out.

If you are worried about losing "day 1 monies" then stagger Steam releases to be a month or so after the release on your own website. The "Hardcore" fan base get their game straight away (The money goes directly to you) and those who want to buy on Steam get to do so (Sure, you make less money but less profit is better than no profit and ultimately the more people who play your sims, the better).

This probably has not came across has intended as I am in a rush but if not, have a nice day.

That got deleted as well. lol

Last edited:
Associate
Just posted this on the forum but it got deleted:

Oh well, will keep my money in my pocket then.

Disappointing as the place seems to be very "cliquey".

Ooh.. email from the forum.

Keep your money - Your choice. I won't, I'll pay the tiny sum of $20 for it and have fun whilst your dummy is gathering fluff on the floor lol :D

Back
Top Bottom