Say Hello To My Little Friend!!!

Soldato
I built my first Mini ITX a few months ago for the Lounge but it made my main rig look old, bulky and clumsy! So I set about building a new rig based on the same SG05 I used on my first ITX build but I didn't want to comprimise on power!!!

Parts Used

Silvestone Sugo SG05 450w
Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3
Intel i7 2600K
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
NVidia PNY GTX 580 (Reference Design)
Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 8GB (2x4GB)
Samsung F3 1TB Hard Drive
Apache 120mm Fan
External USB powered DVD writer (only plugged in when needed)

First problem
The GTX 580 is about 4mm too long for the case, The solution was to measure and cut away some of the metal behind the plastic fascia. If you're careful this works a treat and you won't lose any mounting holes for the front fan. I performed this mod with a jigsaw and drill and afterwards the GTX 580 fitted fine and there wasn't any bulging of the front fascia.

Second problem
I wanted to use a 3.5" hard drive and the only way to do this was to mount the radiator directly on to the case upside down with the pipes running along the bottom of the case. I then mounted the fan on to the radiator pulling air through in to the case. I also had to anchor the pipes to one of the screws on the fan using a cable tie to stop the very stiff pipes from pressing against the Ram.

Third problem
Where to mount the 3.5" Hard Drive? The only solution i could come up with was to fashion a mounting plate to stretch across the case out of a metal cover from an old HiFi tuner! I measured cut and bent into shape the mounting plate and drilled 4 holes so i could screw the hard drive on to it using rubber mounts to cut down on vibrations. I also drilled 2 holes that lined up with existing holes on the case to secure the hard drive mounting plate.

Well everything worked so here's some pics.

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

I decided against an SSD as from previous experience apart from booting in to Windows quickly and initial quick loading of programs it's not really worth it. Well not until I can get a 1TB for under £300 lol

I went for the Gigabyte H67 as again from experience, overclocking CPU's like the i7's doesn't offer any real world noticeable difference and wanted to keep temperatures down. Also had nothing but good experiences of Gigabyte boards :)

So that's it then, No overclocking, No SSD but plays BF3 like a dream on a Tiny Cute little PC :)

Soldato
OP
Looks awesome. I do miss my mini itx :(

Isn't 450W a bit low though?

You would think so

Before I started this little project I entered all the parts I was using in to an online wattage calculator and it said I would need 420w

It's been up and running a few days now without any problems, I've ran prime several times, ran Heaven a few times and played various games inc. BF3

Soldato
OP
Its a H67 ;) nice system im thinking of something similar, where would the hdd usually go if you were to install a optical drive?

Using the components I'm using this is the only way to securely install a 3.5" HD, the mounting bracket I made would be easy enough for most on this forum to make. It would also be possible to mount a 2.5" drive on the underside of the mounting plate by drilling 4 more holes on the inside of the 3.5" drive holes if you see what I mean!

On the subject of internal optical drive, I would say it's not worth the space it takes up to install one. Also it's actually cheaper to buy a little USB powered external drive and just plug it in when you need it.

The optical, and hard drive cages that come with the Sugo SG05 just take up too much room as well as obscuring the fan for a performance build like this.

Associate
Lovely little build, definitely makes me want to try one of these builds at some point :D will make lugging a game machine between uni and home a little easier compared to my Corsair 650D at the moment...

Soldato
Nice to see some pictures.

Was the switch to an Apache fan for decreased noise or just better cooling potential?

Anyone know if a Corsair H40, H60, or H70 would be better than the H50 (seems to have been phased out as not on Corsair site anymore)? And fit as cleanly or better?

Associate
From my knowledge the H40/h50/h70 all have the same pump/waterblock design
while h60/h80/h100 have an updated water block/pump (h60 a very simple one)
The h40/h50/h60 has the same size radiator

H40 = same rad size
H50 = same rad size, copper block
H70 = thicker rad, copper block

Go with the h60 if you are concerned with fitting

Back
Top Bottom