Specsavers (incorrect eye test maybe, bad prescription?)

Soldato
In feb i had a eye test at specsavers and got some glasses shortly after.

I noticed that with my left eye, that if I hold my hand over the right eye, it is a bit out of focus compared to good vision for the right eye when i cover the left.

I think this is causing headaches and eye strain. So i rang specsavers this morning which is late i know but i did know this problem awhile ago shortly after i bought em but tried to live with it.

Am i right in that it was a bad eye test and the prescription was wrong for the left eye? Would i be able to get a new lens for the left eye for free? I have the prescription for oh what you call it when they go dark in the sunlight. Would that complicate a free replacement left lens?

Anyone know anything that might help me?

Btw they told me on the phone that sometimes one eye can be blury which i call bs really.

Here is what the prescription says.

Left - -2.00 (i think is wrong)
Right - -2.25

Edit - Rang em up, they want me to go in to test the glasses on tuesday. They said they may give a early eye exam but if its found the right prescription was accurate then £22 will be charged. Which tbh i dont think id get a exam done at specsavers i might go back to my old optician which wasn't one of the big names but was pretty reliable.

Last edited:
Associate
Best way to find out would be a re-test from a different optician. See if they prescribe differently for the eye you mention.

Saying that- mine is very similar (1 eye not as focussed when other covered up) but I don't get any strain/ headaches. It is quite normal to have some discomfort on a new prescription too..

Soldato
Rather than go to somewhere like Specsavers, go to a smaller optician that doesn't have shops in every single city, town and village and spam our TVs with adverts.

I found a local independent one to pick up on a problem that no others had previously - this was confirmed at hospital.

If its found to be different they will prob just say your prescription has changed

You mention another opticians, do you have an old prescription?
Not sure how old you are but i was told basically once your into your twenties your prescription shoudlnt really change till later in life when you will tend to become long sighted as well even if you are short sighted

Soldato
It sounds that like me, you have an astigmatism in one eye. Mines so bad that I can't read the DVD covers at the end of the bed not 4 feet away with my good eye covered!
I'd get an eye test from another optometrist, preferably an independent local one.

Soldato
Whilst it might be normal I wouldn't put it past spec savers to get it wrong, I thought about saving some money a few years ago and went to spec savers, it seemed so cheap and I think they went a bit wrong prescription wise, and couldn't offer the latest contact lenses, so I gave up with that.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The prescription might not be wrong, you could have a very slight lazy eye 9which isn't a fault with your eye but fault with your brain).

My right eye is lazy and actually has technically better vision than my left eye but because my brain has learnt to ignore the image from the lazy eye I don't "see" a good image - if both my eyes are open at the same time my brain sees nothing from my right eye - no 3d films for me ;-(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amblyopia

Back
Top Bottom