MOTs are changing from January 2012 - some of these will catch a lot of people out

Soldato
A did a search and this appears not to have been posted:

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special notices/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

The most notable changes are:

More warning lights are a failure.
This will include the airbags, ESP, and seatbelt...

The back doors now have to open
Someone was asking about doors recently.

Decat = FAIL, regardless of actual emissions or fuel type
Doh! Rule 7.1, reason for failure number 3.

There's A LOT of other changes.

I can see a lot of cars that are currently running around with the airbag light on getting scrapped.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven't we had this thread before, along with the ensuing confused arguing about which parts of this are actually going to affect people?

Soldato
OP
either that or remove the fuse/bulb

Removing fuse usually will not turn the light off, the lights are canceled by the respective ECUs, not lit.

Remove the bulb, you might get away with it, but strictly speaking the light must come on during the lamp check and then go off to pass. You'll probably get away with it as even the manual doesn't clearly show what lights are supposed to be there.

Soldato
Sorry so if a warning light comes on that you know about and do not care about your car will now fail an MOT?! Why? I am well aware that my glowplug needs replacing on my Zafira DTi. When I start it up it lights up for a few seconds then when rev'd goes away. It has been like this for over a year and a half and it still starts every time no issues.

Associate
I have a catalyst in the garage which I put on yearly for my MOT, however the HID thing is a bit of a worry.

MOT testers should be allowed to use discretion really. I have aftermarket HIDs, but also have projector lamps and jets (although they don't work currently!). However they are not self leveling. My car is very low and I keep the manual setting on second click from bottom so it's not very likely to cause anyone a problem. It's the morons with bright blue HIDs in reflector lamps that should fail, not me :(.

Soldato
Going to be interesting trying to put an Import new age Impreza through the test next year.
HID's as standard but no wash mechanism.
There must (as always) be exceptions to the rule.

Man of Honour
All HID headlamps must have a self leveling and a cleaning system
This has previously only applied at type approval. I like this rule.

WRONG - this is incorrect.

The MOT test manual says that:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

It simply uses the term HID as an example as to which cars might be fitted with self levelling systems.

There is no requirement in the MOT that either system is fitted, however there is a requirement that if present, they must function.

It explains that testers must:

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

And gives the reasons for failure:

A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

It does not say 'Not present'. It says inoperative or defective. So if you've got it, it must work, if you dont have it, carry on.

Basically the only people this will effect are those like me who have not go around to fixing defective headlamp washers :p

Any warning light is a failure.
This will include the airbags, ESP, battery charging warning, seatbelt warning light, oil pressure...

This is also wrong. Nowhere does it state this. It does, however, say things like:

system, check that the relevant warning lamp(s):
a.
is fitted
b.
illuminates
c.
does not indicate a fault

This means that, funnily enough, if the specifically referenced systems have a warning light illuminated, you fail.

If the rear sunblind defective warning light is on, then obviously, you do not fail.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Has that changed? I am sure when this was first announced it said that HID cars had to have those systems?

It was widely assumed that the new changes included this requirement. However since the release of the test manual reflecting the new changes it has become apparent that this was a misunderstanding. The MOT manual is clear on the position of HID's and headlamp washers.

Soldato
Any warning light is a failure.
This will include the airbags, ESP, battery charging warning, seatbelt warning light, oil pressure...

That is total BS. My emmissions light is on and has been for about a year. I have zero emmission problems (just had an MOT) and now I will have to get a lambda sensor fitted on my 10 year old Golf?

Fuse will be getting pulled next time.

Soldato
All HID headlamps must have a self levelling and a cleaning system

Argh. The real issue is HIDs in lamp units that aren't designed for it and produce a rubbish beam pattern. Headlamp washers are naff, and self levelling is just for people to lazy to adjust the scroll wheel when they've got concrete in the boot.
Decat = FAIL, regardless of actual emissions
Doh! Rule 7.1, reason for failure number 3.

Hmm. How's that gonna work? They gonna have a massive database that says whether there was a catalyst when it left the factory?
And of course in terms of saving the planet it's stupid. What does more 'damage', Mr Mondeo doing 30K a year up the motorway in his TDCi dagdag, or someone with a decated petrol trackday toy that does <1K a year and that's round a track!?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom