Legal Advice?

Soldato
Ok, so here is the situation.

On ~ 30th November, our landlords, who generally speaking have been very good up until now, dropped a letter through our door asking us whether we wanted to renew our contract for next year (August 2012-2013). They said that if we wish to renew the same household then if we let them know by Thursday 1st December at time X. Then they'll deliver us an agreement which will need to be completed in 14 days. The short version of what follows is that we got in touch with them and said we wanted to continue our agreement, before the set time.

We have, however had no agreement come through, and today instead got a different letter. This letter said that unfortunately the property that we currently rent (and the entire block), is no longer being offered this year (No reason given). They are however offering to show us around some alternative accommodation that they have available for next year and will offer us this accommodation. On top of this they'll pay to keep stuff in storage for us, if we desire, to help ease the transition.
Upon phoning them up and asking to book a time ASAP to see their alternative properties (they go fast, and they're saying that they are available on a first come first serve basis), the reason that I was given as to why our current properties will be no longer available is because 'someone has come along who wants the lot'. Now I feel that they may well mean buy, or even rent the lot at once, and was wondering how legal this is.

My opinion is, that whilst unfortunate that they're screwing us over, as we haven't actually officially signed anything for 2012/13, they're perfectly entitled to do whatever the hell they want....

Disclaimer:
I realise that no one here is a qualified lawyer etc, and none of the advice is likely to be entirely accurate.

kd

Soldato
OP
how do you know no one here is a qualified laywer ?

strange comment to make considering how many people there are on the forums

Chances are somebody is, but considering every other legal thread in existence gets rebuffed by plenty of people saying stop asking for advice on the internet and get to a solicitor I thought I'd solve the pointless posts...

kd

Associate
The contract expires, your obligations to each other expire with it.

Not entirely true.

Is this Scotland or England/Wales? Tenancy law is different in each.

In a fixed term they can go stuff themselves unless you do something daft like don't pay rent. Provided you are not in a fixed term, the landlord can evict you provided proper notice is given. In England/Wales this would be a Section 21 notice and in Scotland a notice to quit and Section 33. In both cases, it is 2 rental periods notice that is required (assuming monthly rent and AST/SAT).

When a fixed term ends (unless you are subejct to tacit relocation in Scotland), you automatically go onto a periodic tenancy with all the rights you had before except for those pertaining to termination.

Speak to a solicitor, shelter or ask at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 (lots of good housing folk there)

tl;dr - they can kick you out for no reason but they have to do it properly. Even if your fixed term expires, you still have a valid tenancy.

Man of Honour
Chances are somebody is, but considering every other legal thread in existence gets rebuffed by plenty of people saying stop asking for advice on the internet and get to a solicitor I thought I'd solve the pointless posts...

kd

My post isn't pointless because:

- you will be more likely to get accurate legal advise
- you will have a cause of action from incorrect legal advise

Hence anyone legally minded would probably suggest you do that, whilst every google warrior / armchair barrister will bounce in claiming to know the answer.

Soldato
No need for a solicitor, tbh. There is no contract signed for next year, so they can do what they like.

Quite nice of them to be offering the alternatives they are, too.

Soldato
Not entirely true.

In a fixed term they can go stuff themselves unless you do something daft like don't pay rent. Provided you are not in a fixed term, the landlord can evict you provided proper notice is given. In England/Wales this would be a Section 21 notice and in Scotland a notice to quit and Section 33. In both cases, it is 2 rental periods notice that is required (assuming monthly rent and AST/SAT).

When a fixed term ends (unless you are subejct to tacit relocation in Scotland), you automatically go onto a periodic tenancy with all the rights you had before except for those pertaining to termination.

Speak to a solicitor, shelter or ask at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 (lots of good housing folk there)

tl;dr - they can kick you out for no reason but they have to do it properly. Even if your fixed term expires, you still have a valid tenancy.

He's already stated they've been asked if they wish to renew - implying it's fixed term.

He's already stated the new tenancy starts in August 2012 - that's in 8 months time, I can't imagine their current agreement stipulates a 4 month notice period, therefore he's more than given them sufficient notice.

Soldato
OP
My post isn't pointless because:

- you will be more likely to get accurate legal advise
- you will have a cause of action from incorrect legal advise

Hence anyone legally minded would probably suggest you do that, whilst every google warrior will bounce in claiming to know the answer.

Oh, no I understand that, and was expecting people to say that anyway. However, I thought I'd put a disclaimer at the end that pointed out that I was aware that people would point this out...

kd

Caporegime
Not entirely true.

Erm , no, even if it's fixed term they can still give you notice to leave at the end of the term (July 2012).

Associate
Erm , no, even if it's fixed term they can still give you notice to leave at the end of the term (July 2012).

Which can't be notice to leave during the fixed term.

Haggisman said:
therefore he's more than given them sufficient notice.

The notice period might be enough, but if that notice is not of the correct form then it will be thrown out of court. Statute is very clear on what is required for a notice to be valid and without a valid notice a mag/sherrif will not grant a possession order.

Man of Honour
Which can't be notice to leave during the fixed term.

It isn't a notice to leave during fixed term, it's noticed to leave at the end of the fixed term and is almost always given at the start of the tenancy (it can be given at any point) its nothing special so the chances of it being in wrong format are pretty much none.

And again what would he achieve or want to achieve by talking to a solicitor?
Just move on.

Back
Top Bottom