• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

295.51 Memory Leak

Associate
I'm pretty sure the 295.51 beta drivers have a memory leak problem. Just internet browsing and watching videos using WMP I noticed my system memory was running at 55% after I shut all my apps down. This is way above anything I have seen before. Restarted my PC and again after a few hours memory was going above 40%. I just rolled back to 290.53 and immediately after doing a fresh install (no reboot) memory dropped from over 40% down to 20% which is normal. My system is:

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
GTX 580 SLI
6GB RAM

I had SLI enabled with both drivers and task manager / resource monitor gave me no clues as to what was using all the memory. :(

Caporegime
Tested and confirmed on MPC-HC x32 1.6 with LAV Filters 0.45 and MADVR 0.8 - non-paged memory just keeps growing and eventually causes frame dropping and choppy playback. This is a major bug.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=222342&st=20&p=1366088&#entry1366088

RESULT

Thank you. We were able to reproduce this issue. Passing bug to driver team to investigate.

It looks like we will be able to have a fix for this issue in our upcoming driver. Thank you all for your feedback.

Associate
I thought it was only AMD who released dodgy drivers? :rolleyes:

Err, it's a beta driver? If you don't want the possibility of issues like this, don't install beta drivers. These drivers are "leaked" so we can test them for NVidia. I'm sure they're very pleased someone submitted this bug to them :p

Soldato
yeah, as mentioned, these are not "Release" drivers, they are beta... they are there specifically for Nvidia to get end users to do bug checking for them

if you are worried, stick to WHQL certified release drivers (which are the default option if you go to nvidia's download pages)

Soldato
It's good that Nvidia feeds it back to the driver team & thanks the people who found it. That sort of thing goes a long way. It's not often you see large companies actually thank an individual or a small group like this when a bug is found.

Soldato
It's good that Nvidia feeds it back to the driver team & thanks the people who found it. That sort of thing goes a long way. It's not often you see large companies actually thank an individual or a small group like this when a bug is found.

Yup 100% agree, when I posted bugs on the AMD forums nothing was ever done about them and they were swept under the carpet as not a bug and was my system, but funny when I emailed their Driver Team it got fixed in a later driver update and not a single thanks or comment to say it was highlighted by their customers and worst part the fixes sometimes were not even mentioned in the driver release notes but were there.

I wonder when they will bring out the fixed drivers, I really can't be bothered reinstalling the older drivers and I do see the bug when I look for it now but so far has not caused me any stress, so I think I will wait for the fixed drivers and update then.

::EDIT:: Reinstalled 290.53 and kept the newer PhysX and HDMI audio driver from the broken drivers. 16GB of RAM and I noticed after playing a movie the available memory said 2GB :-/... Hope they fix it soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Err, it's a beta driver? If you don't want the possibility of issues like this, don't install beta drivers. These drivers are "leaked" so we can test them for NVidia. I'm sure they're very pleased someone submitted this bug to them :p

They are not "leaked" you can download them quite clearly from the BETA section on Nvidia's download website.

http://uk.geforce.com/drivers

I thought it was only AMD who released dodgy drivers? :rolleyes:

Do you not remember last year when they released the beta drivers with the dodgy fan profile that caused some cards to overheat ??? They were quickly withdrawn.

Soldato
Thanks for posting, I had some problems with video playback now will need to switch to something else - latest whql ones have a bug with Rise of Flight, so my choice is limited...

Vir

Vir

Associate
just came here after BSOD'ing out of BF3 for few times... had a critical in event viewer! Good to know this will be fixed! Thank you :)

Soldato
I'm experiencing some jerky video playback in VLC - could this be related? No crashes though, and the jerkyness is barely visible but it is there.

Soldato
Sorry, and aonther question: is it necessary to do a "clean driver install"? I'd rather not loose all my settings, but maybe it's not necessary to do it and loose them?

Back
Top Bottom