Experience Days: Shooting/Hunting

Soldato
I know there are a few gun owners on this site. Hopefully some of you might be able to help me out.

I've never fired a gun before but I'd like to give it a go. What's the best way to go about doing this?

If hunting (without a license) is a possibility then I'd like to try that. If not, clay pigeons and targets would be fine.

I had a quick look on Virgin Experience Days website and they appear to offer 2 hours clay pigeon shooting for about £70.

Permabanned
I went clay pigeon shooting as part of a stag weekend once cost us £20 each and there was 8 of us it lasted around 3 hours maybe better to see if you can get a group to go

Soldato
other than the obvious (searching redletterdays) i really havent a clue. however, im sure someone over at the hunter forums will be able to help so i'll ask them

(if your wondering, the hunter is a game, and i have the free version)

Tea Drinker
Don
No need for a red letter day, phone your local clay ground and they will be happy to teach you and let you shoot a round of 50, if you get a few of you, four is a nice number anymore then you'll be get bored, makes a great morning activity then pub lunch.

Where are you ?

Associate
Another vote for clay shooting, google search your local clay ground and give them a call.

The only way you'd be taken hunting (vermin - rabbits, pigeon, squirrels etc) would be if you knew someone with a rifle and had permission on land to shoot and they agreed to bring you along.

Unless you go abroad and pay a ridiculous amount of money to shoot game.

Associate
Clays are great fun, I go regularly. If you're after a lesson they will provide the gun, the shells and the insurance. Some grounds even claim they will refund your money if you don't hit anything - as it's highly likely you will, provided you do what they say.

Soldato
Owned a lanber 12bore o/u shotgun
and
CZ American 452 .17hmr, 21" Barrel, SAK Moderator, harris bipod and a Simmonds Whitetail classic scope imported from America, 5 shot mag, boy that round was small but did a hell of damage :p

If I could reccomend anything, go pigeon decoying with someone in a crop field and let them teach you the fieldcraft, you may want to steer clear of having a go yourself as you want to make sure you can shoot down moving targets so get yourself to a clay club for this. However good field craft, there is no harm in learning early tagging along with an experienced pigeon shooter.

Rabbit stalking, lamping is also good, as is clay pigeon shooting, if your clay shooting though, try and get some sporting targets rather than down the line skeet shooting.

Last edited:
Soldato
You shouldnt be going hunting unless you can already shoot, you should be able to pretty certain your going to hit your target all the time. Otherwise your going to just end up injuring animals.

I would go clay shooting if you have no experience or some target air rifle shooting.

Soldato
You shouldnt be going hunting unless you can already shoot, you should be able to pretty certain your going to hit your target all the time. Otherwise your going to just end up injuring animals.

I would go clay shooting if you have no experience or some target air rifle shooting.

Finally some sensible advice.

Right, OP >>

Please do not engage in any sort of hunting unless you know what you're doing with a gun, for a couple of reasons:
- You owe it to the prey to be capable of a clean kill
- You need an understanding of using a weapon in order to be safe

In terms of options available to you, you can try pretty much anything from black powder hand weapons through to full bore rifles and shotguns, so the world's your oyster in that regard.

Two useful sites for finding clubs near you (other than the phone directory and Google of course!):
http://www.cpsa.co.uk/
http://www.nra.org.uk/

Now in terms of practicalities:
Target clubs on a range are usually geared towards firearms, so there you will be able to use (e.g.) .22 rifles as a starter to learn to shoot, which most clubs usually have as "club guns" so that people can borrow them. If other kind souls on the range are willing to let you shoot their weapons, then you're in luck too.

Air rifles tend to stick to their own clubs, although most firearm clubs will let you use them. You can either have a go at paper punching on a range, or get involved in FT (long distance technical target shooting) or HFT (loads of fun, various "knock down" targets scattered throughout a woodland course to simulate hunting).

For shotguns, practical shotgun clubs are few and far between in the UK, but clays are commonplace. Most clubs charge you a small fortune if you don't have your own gun and ammunition, partly because you also get a tutor to ensure you are safe! If however you have a friend who shoots clays, you can expect to spend under £20 on ammunition for an entire morning, and shoot under their guidance.

Hope that helps!

Soldato
OP
Where are you ?
Croydon.

According to the links Makhaira posted there are a few clubs not too far from me in Epsom and Reigate.

Please do not engage in any sort of hunting unless you know what you're doing with a gun, for a couple of reasons:
- You owe it to the prey to be capable of a clean kill
- You need an understanding of using a weapon in order to be safe
Very true :)

Back
Top Bottom