Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Games > PC Games

Old 21st Feb 2012, 08:39   #1
Clav
Wise Guy

Thumbs up Pioneer Space Sim - Free Indie Frontier: Elite 2 Remake

So I was looking around for any evidence of Elite 4 surfacing and ran across this little gem. Basically a remake of the classic Frontier: Elite 2. Still in alpha stages but there have been regular updates since May last year. I am excite!

Quote:
Pioneer is a space adventure game set in the milkyway galaxy at the turn of the 31st century.

The game is open-ended, and you are free to explore the millions of star systems in the game. You can land on planets, slingshot past gas giants, and burn yourself to a crisp flying between binary star systems.

When Pioneer is finished there will be many ways to make ends meet: piracy, smuggling, bounty-hunting, mining, doing missions for the various factions fighting for power, freedom or self-determination.

Pioneer has a sneaking resemblance to Frontier: Elite 2.
http://pioneerspacesim.net/

Clav
Clav is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 10:21   #2
IvanDobskey
Mobster

I would love elite 4 to finally surface, but in these days of cruddy console ports and zero originality i dont see it happening Elite is my all time favourite game, but this type of game is a dying breed. Why would devs spend loads of money on creating a huge open world space sim with limited market appeal when they can knock out yet another generic cod clone that will get lapped up by millions. Sad days.

P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|8GB Vengeance DDR3|2500K@4.3GHz
Noctua NH-D14|250GB Evo 850|Silverstone TJ09
Corsair TX650|EVGA GTX780|VP2770-LED
IvanDobskey is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:10   #3
OldComputerGuy7
Hitman

Thanks for the link will have to check that out.

AMD X4 965 BE, 8GB Geil DDR3, R9 270X
OldComputerGuy7 is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:16   #4
Neil79
Caporegime

Added to list, thanks

i7 4790K 4.6 1.275v, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Superflower 850 PSU, 16GB Kingston, EVGA GTX 980 1553mhz, 2xSSD EVO, AIO Liquid Cooler, Dell Gsync 144HZ 1440p
Neil79 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:38   #5
Rojin
Soldato

Looks interesting, I played Frontier to death on the Amiga...

Rojin is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:44   #6
Clav
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojin View Post
I was the same on the PC version, sank countless hours into it.

I'm now trying to track down all the music tracks from Frontier in ogg format. The ability to create your own playlist and event triggered music is built in

Clav
Old 21st Feb 2012, 16:44   #7
Craig1981
Capodecina

It would be a dream come true to play a true modern day version of Elite 2. I loved that game so much. I played it religiously for as long as I had my Amiga in action.

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz @ 4.00GHz
DDR3 SATA 6Gb
GeForce GTX 580 1536MB
Benq XL2410T 24" TRUE 120Hz 3D Monitor
Craig1981 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 17:10   #8
Retromatic
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojin View Post
Same.

Will check this out, thanks..

Retromatic is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 17:30   #9
doofski
Mobster

myself and some friends got a lot of fun out of terminus, which you can now DL for free here. They even have Hardwar too

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/.../terminus.html

doofski is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 00:06   #10
Brianetta
Associate

Hi, guys! I'm Brian from the Pioneer dev team. I maintain the issue tracker, amongst other things.

Glad to see some of you have found us, and that you're finding the game fun. Pioneer is free software (you will always have the freedom to download it, mod it, break it, fix it, even put it in a box and sell it), so do feel free to grab yourself a copy.

We've recently made some big changes to the rendering system of Pioneer, and it's in need of some play-testing. If you guys want to help us out, please grab the most recent build (download links are on our twitter feed, http://twitter.com/pioneerspacesim ) and let us know if you see any glitches or problems with rendering. Those builds are more recent than the latest alpha; new ones are made each night.

If you do, please let me know. You can either let the dev team know on the main issue tracker, on this thread (I'll be watching) or by email to me (brian@ppcis.org). If you have problems, we'd be grateful if you also let is have a copy of the opengl.txt file that Pioneer creates in My Documents\Pioneer. That tells us what your graphics card's capabilities look like, and will help us out.

Any feedback is welcome, though! We like informed criticism. Do bear in mind that balancing and gameplay are utterly unfinished, but the physics engine is stable and very pretty.

Finally, for all you old Frontier fans, we're doing this because the surest way to get the game we want to play is to write it ourselves. We're trying to preserve Frontier's feel, but in a much more modern game. Frontier destroyed my degree studies, and I love it still.

Thanks all!
Brianetta is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 01:45   #11
Nate--IRL--
Wise Guy

Hmm looks interesting.........

Nate
Nate--IRL-- is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 08:21   #12
Clav
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianetta View Post
Hi, guys! I'm Brian from the Pioneer dev team. I maintain the issue tracker, amongst other things.

Glad to see some of you have found us, and that you're finding the game fun. Pioneer is free software (you will always have the freedom to download it, mod it, break it, fix it, even put it in a box and sell it), so do feel free to grab yourself a copy.

We've recently made some big changes to the rendering system of Pioneer, and it's in need of some play-testing. If you guys want to help us out, please grab the most recent build (download links are on our twitter feed, http://twitter.com/pioneerspacesim ) and let us know if you see any glitches or problems with rendering. Those builds are more recent than the latest alpha; new ones are made each night.

If you do, please let me know. You can either let the dev team know on the main issue tracker, on this thread (I'll be watching) or by email to me (brian@ppcis.org). If you have problems, we'd be grateful if you also let is have a copy of the opengl.txt file that Pioneer creates in My Documents\Pioneer. That tells us what your graphics card's capabilities look like, and will help us out.

Any feedback is welcome, though! We like informed criticism. Do bear in mind that balancing and gameplay are utterly unfinished, but the physics engine is stable and very pretty.

Finally, for all you old Frontier fans, we're doing this because the surest way to get the game we want to play is to write it ourselves. We're trying to preserve Frontier's feel, but in a much more modern game. Frontier destroyed my degree studies, and I love it still.

Thanks all!
Nice one, thanks for the reply! What is the link for non-twitter people?

Clav
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 08:30   #13
Brianetta
Associate

Erm, you'll need to rummage on SourceForge until you find it, I think.

You don't need a Twitter account to use that page on Twitter; our merge maintainer posts each nightly build there as he does it, and you can just click them to be taken to the right place, without logging in or whatever.

I'm a non-Twitter person, too!

GPG fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 09:12   #14
Huw
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clav View Post
What is the link for non-twitter people?
Link
Huw is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 09:44   #15
robgmun
Suspended

Quote:
Erm, you'll need to rummage on SourceForge until you find it, I think.

You don't need a Twitter account to use that page on Twitter; our merge maintainer posts each nightly build there as he does it, and you can just click them to be taken to the right place, without logging in or whatever.

I'm a non-Twitter person, too!
Welcome to the forums Brianetta! I rerally hope you can complete this project
robgmun is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 10:16   #16
arc@css
Underboss

Elite 4? I've only ever seen the first. Damn.

HAFX / Z77-D3H / i5 3570K + NH-D15 / GTX980Ti
S2716DG / 8GB DDR3 850 EVO 500GB & 1TB
650W / G400 / Windows 7 HP 64

Youtube Channel
arc@css is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 10:18   #17
Clav
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc@css View Post
Elite 4? I've only ever seen the first. Damn.
Elite 1 and 2 were the classics. 3 was a [COLOR="Yellow"]*[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]*[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]*[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]*[/COLOR] and 4 has been 'in development' and 'postponed' since around 2000 :/

Clav
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 10:23   #18
Egon
Soldato

Awesome, downloadng now!

and now following on Twitter

PSN ID: DAG79 | Steam ID: OCuK_Egon | OriginID: 79Egon
Egon is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 11:18   #19
Huw
Wise Guy

I seriously doubt we'll ever see Elite 4. Braben just doesn't seem interested.
Huw is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 11:56   #20
Brianetta
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgmun View Post
Welcome to the forums Brianetta! I rerally hope you can complete this project
I'm not alone in this, and it isn't a one man project. I'm not even the project lead. We have a number of dedicated, able, enthusiastic and fairly well motivated folk working on the project, and more seem to be finding their way to us every week. It's looking good!

Old 23rd Feb 2012, 12:38   #21
dave1983
Wise Guy

Mmmmm looks ok, but seeing the screenshots it doesn't feel uh spacey, have you got any shots of neburiosity like the orion nebula? or being able to see andromeda galaxy?

dave1983 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:10   #22
Brianetta
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1983 View Post
Mmmmm looks ok, but seeing the screenshots it doesn't feel uh spacey, have you got any shots of neburiosity like the orion nebula? or being able to see andromeda galaxy?
As a percentage of sky coverage, those objects are so close to zero as makes no difference at all. Pioneer models our own galaxy, and includes real star catalogue data. If you want eye-candy backgrounds, I'm sorry to say you're going to have to get that fix elsewhere. Many of the dev team are astronomy nuts on the side. (-:

Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:20   #23
robgmun
Suspended

So are you saying that every point of light in the sky is a star you can travel to?

If so that would be extremely impressive
robgmun is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:38   #24
Craig1981
Capodecina

Quote:
So are you saying that every point of light in the sky is a star you can travel to?

Wasnt that virtually how it was in Frontier? The galaxy map seemed to be a pretty comprehensive list of all the stars in our galaxy. Obviously they put a lot of planets around them which probably dont exist, but you could go pretty much anywhere.

DDR3 SATA 6Gb
GeForce GTX 580 1536MB
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:49   #25
Brianetta
Associate

Quote:

In the displayed sky within a system, no. While one of our devs is looking at making the sky truly representative of available stars, that's for the future.

We do have a complete galaxy, though. I'm not sure how many stars are in it, but its size and density is comparable to the real thing, so we're talking about hundreds of billions of systems. It might not be feasible to visit many, what with fuel and maintenance concerns, but I personally ran a script which hyper-jumped my ship at about thirty light-years per hop from the solar system to the super massive black hole at the centre of the galaxy. It took me five hours, just watching jump after jump. Jumps last up to about ten seconds. There were many.

Unlike Frontier's galaxy, ours isn't a flat plane with fake depth. The stars extend in all directions. There's a cube 64 light years along each edge, with the solar system at its centre, within which all the stars are real ones, in their correct places. In addition to that, many bright stars which are visible from Earth are in their respective spots in the galaxy. The rest of the galaxy is procedurally generated, complete with spiral arms, central globe and so on.

It's big.

Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:53   #26
dave1983
Wise Guy

Quote:
As a percentage of sky coverage, those objects are so close to zero as makes no difference at all. Pioneer models our own galaxy, and includes real star catalogue data. If you want eye-candy backgrounds, I'm sorry to say you're going to have to get that fix elsewhere. Many of the dev team are astronomy nuts on the side. (-:
Thats such a shame, being an astromoner nut myself it would of been cool to go to somewhere like orions belt and being able to see the orion nebula up close, and see new stars being born or fly through the pillars of creation.

dave1983 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:57   #27
topdog@OC
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1983 View Post
... or fly through the pillars of creation.
I think you'd need a time machine for that one too.
topdog@OC is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 14:26   #28
modo77
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog@OC View Post
I think you'd need a time machine for that one too.
Aye they are long gone.

Game looks very interesting, downloading now..

modo77 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 14:30   #29
Brianetta
Associate

The Orion Nebula, up close, isn't really very bright, or very dense. While I think we'd like that sort of thing in there, too, it would be hard to do. First, we'd need to figure out what it might look like up close (and it certainly won't look like it does from a distance). Then we'd need to find somebody really keen to design and code that up.

If it does happen, I can't honestly see it happening soon. We still have to cram an actual game into this somewhere. (-:

Old 23rd Feb 2012, 14:40   #30
Craig1981
Capodecina

How detailed are your planets going to be? Will there be actual stuff on the planets like cities, local spacecraft flying about etc etc or will it be a vast featureless landscape?

DDR3 SATA 6Gb
GeForce GTX 580 1536MB