Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Hardware > Servers and Enterprise Solutions

Old 2nd Mar 2012, 21:06   #1
two00lbwaster
Gangster

Raspberry Pi ... my home webserver project

I'm going to be using a Raspberry Pi as a Linux Webserver to host a home website.

Probably going to stick nginx and django on there as I know that you can get away with that configuration, including the OS, in less than 100MB of RAM.

Does anyone else have any interesting projects lined up for this device?

Hardware: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM1000
Intel S5520SC | 2x X5650 | 18GB Kingston Hyper-X
ASUS HD7970 DC2 TOP | (VTX3D R9-280X)
Crucial 256GB M4 SSD | 2x 2TB HDD RAID 1
two00lbwaster is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 21:24   #2
MikeHiow
Banned

Yeah, I'm currently in the process of prototyping a clock in/access system with Arduinos. I'll also be giving it a crack with a Rasberry Pi when RS have some, as it'll work out a bit cheaper.

I have a feeling the Rasberry Pi has the potential to be more stable/reliable, too.
MikeHiow is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 21:28   #3
Semple
Mobster

Plan to buy a few for media receivers to connect to TV's.

CPU: i7 930 @ 4Ghz, Mobo: Gigabyte X58A UD3R, RAM: Corsair 18GB, Gfx Card: ATI 6950, HDD: Crucial M4 128GB SSD,2x WD 1.5TB, PSU: OCZ 600W, Case: Lancool K62, O/S: Win 8 Professional, Monitors: LG E2250V x2, Dell S2209W , Fan Controller: Aerocool 2000
Semple is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 22:06   #4
andrewdodd13
Hitman

I think media receivers is the most popular one. I've been playing with the ARM-EL version of Debian under qemu emulating basically the RPI hardware (except GPU) seeing what I can build.

So far, I have the following compiled (no idea how fast they'll run, but in general if it runs on an iPhone 3GS it'll run on RPI):
- Video player + SMBFS (Streaming)
- GBA/NES/SNES/PS1 emulation

Not sure what I'm gonna go for next. I was quite impressed with the variety of software in Debian ARM-EL, there's all sorts of stuff like precompiled Apache2 etc. One thing I did notice though was that quite a lot of stuff is probably going to have to be cross-compiled; I ran out of memory building the SNES emulator and once I added some swap space it took an hour.

Intel Core i7 2600 / Gigabyte GTX970
andrewdodd13 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 22:28   #5
aldo1234
Associate

I have a microserver running ubuntu server zoneminder apache etc that I plan to replace with the pi.

I have a mobile connected that I can use to txt me alerts or txt in commands. Adding a arduino I could possibly turn lights on or heating. It's more about getting it working than actually using it.
aldo1234 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2012, 10:10   #6
two00lbwaster
Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHiow View Post
Yeah, I'm currently in the process of prototyping a clock in/access system with Arduinos. I'll also be giving it a crack with a Rasberry Pi when RS have some, as it'll work out a bit cheaper.

I have a feeling the Rasberry Pi has the potential to be more stable/reliable, too.
I've only really come across the Arduino system since Raspberry Pi has been sold. Although, when I looked at the image I did seem to think I remembered some news release about an open source hardware platform last year.

Raspberry Pi is pretty much a barebones smartphone from the cheaper part of the spectrum of smartphones, without the wireless SoC stuff. It has more desktop connectivity options instead.

I did tweet the foundation to say that PoE would be a nice addition in the future

Old 4th Mar 2012, 12:13   #7
kg648
Hitman

What are you doing about a case?
kg648 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2012, 16:46   #8
two00lbwaster
Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg648 View Post
What are you doing about a case?
I'll see what it fits in, however, it is about the size of a credit card, so it may fit into the box that houses a pack of cards.

Old 4th Mar 2012, 23:19   #9
MikeHiow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by two00lbwaster View Post
I've only really come across the Arduino system since Raspberry Pi has been sold. Although, when I looked at the image I did seem to think I remembered some news release about an open source hardware platform last year.

Raspberry Pi is pretty much a barebones smartphone from the cheaper part of the spectrum of smartphones, without the wireless SoC stuff. It has more desktop connectivity options instead.

I did tweet the foundation to say that PoE would be a nice addition in the future
Adding POE yourself wouldn't be too difficult to be honest, in fact you can probably even buy POE extractors with 12v outputs if you're not keen on using a soldering iron.

But I do agree, I think it's a feature that'd make the rasberry Pi for homebrew projects and the like.
Old 5th Mar 2012, 22:19   #10
two00lbwaster
Gangster

Quote:
Adding POE yourself wouldn't be too difficult to be honest, in fact you can probably even buy POE extractors with 12v outputs if you're not keen on using a soldering iron.

But I do agree, I think it's a feature that'd make the rasberry Pi for homebrew projects and the like.
Hmmm, would you be able to provide any links?

I don't mind a little soldering. I had to solder back on a component the had been partially knocked off the back of an 8800GT. I borrowed the soldering iron off of a work colleague, which had an end like a shovel. It made the job a little difficult you might say.

Old 5th Mar 2012, 22:26   #11
WILD9
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by two00lbwaster View Post
Hmmm, would you be able to provide any links?

I don't mind a little soldering. I had to solder back on a component the had been partially knocked off the back of an 8800GT. I borrowed the soldering iron off of a work colleague, which had an end like a shovel. It made the job a little difficult you might say.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...TL-POE10R#spec

That would do it, i cant see any reason a normal POE injector wouldnt work in reverse but youd probably need to research it.
WILD9 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2012, 22:31   #12
Addicted
Mobster

Quote:

It's apparently being looked into for the next release which IMO sounds awesome!
Addicted is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2012, 19:17   #13
MikeHiow
Banned

If it was me, I'd be looking at the Poe module for the arduino Ethernet.

It's not specific for the arduino and can be bought in 3.3, 5 and 12v flavours.

Data sheet: http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/PoE-datasheet.pdf