Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:27   #1
Andy
Mobster

Azhar Ahmed

"Teenager charged over comment on Afghanistan troops"

Quote:
A teenager will appear in court after allegedly making comments on Facebook about the deaths of six soldiers in Afghanistan last week, police said.
Azhar Ahmed, 19, according to West Yorkshire Police, posted the comments on his profile page and has been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence, according to West Yorkshire Police.
A police spokesman said Ahmed, of Fir Avenue, Ravensthorpe, West Yorkshire, was bemoaning the level of attention the British soldiers who died in a bomb blast last week received compared to Afghan civilians who have died in the war.
The spokesman said: "He didn't make his point very well and that is why he has landed himself in bother."
Ahmed will appear at Dewsbury Magistrates' court on March 20.
He was arrested on Friday and charged over the weekend. He has been bailed to an address outside the county.
Last week, six men were killed in the deadliest single attack on British forces in Afghanistan since 2001.
The soldiers who died - five of them aged between 19 and 21 - died when their Warrior armoured vehicle was blown up by a massive improvised explosive device (IED).
Sergeant Nigel Coupe, 33, of 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment was killed alongside Corporal Jake Hartley, 20, Private Anthony Frampton, 20, Private Christopher Kershaw, 19, Private Daniel Wade, 20, and Private Daniel Wilford, 21, all of 3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment.
The tragedy was the biggest single loss of life for British forces in Afghanistan since an RAF Nimrod crash killed 14 people in September 2006.
It took the number of UK troops who have died since the Afghanistan campaign began in 2001 to 404.
Does anybody know what this guy specifically said?

Andy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:30   #2
Nitefly
Man of Honour

Without knowing what he said or his background, at face value it seems a bit silly to try to engage criminal proceedings against what is essentially a pretty meaningless facebook post...

I'd be interested to know what he said too.

Nitefly is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:30   #3
doodah
Capodecina

If you search his name it's the 5th link down (DuckDuckGo), would post here but probably not family friendly*

Yes he is a moron and what he said is insulting but I have seen far worse said on social media.

EDIT - Mods, on closer inspection and removal of one word, I assume it's safe to post?
Last edited by doodah; 13th Mar 2012 at 09:35.
doodah is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:31   #4
Spenty
PermaBanned

Well it must have been pretty bad for the police to get involved. I've seen Pakistani people I have from school post some stupid stuff on Facebook and nothing happened to them.

Edit, just seen the above, I hope the people who liked the post have been questioned as well. The only problem is this kind of stuff just fuels the likes of the EDL and BNP.
Last edited by Spenty; 13th Mar 2012 at 09:39.
Spenty is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:39   #5
Andy
Mobster

Are they going to arrest the 8 people who liked it aswell? I think he has a good point despite clearly being abit stupid.

Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:41   #6
Spenty
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Are they going to arrest the 8 people who liked it aswell? I think he has a good point despite clearly being abit stupid.
How does he have a good point? The families over there will have mourned over their deaths as our families have mourned.
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:41   #7
doodah
Capodecina

Unless we are missing something.......dangerous precedent!
doodah is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:41   #8
Ahleckz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibinim View Post
If you search his name it's the 5th link down (DuckDuckGo), would post here but probably not family friendly*

Yes he is a moron and what he said is insulting but I have seen far worse said on social media.

EDIT - Mods, on closer inspection and removal of one word, I assume it's safe to post?
That's it? For goodness sake. The World needs to get a grip. I wonder how many police hours are wasted dealing with non crimes like this. That isn't inciteful, that's a harmless post on a social media website. Between the policing of social networks, and dealing with phone hacking it's a wonder anyone actually gets arrested.

He has valid point. The portrayal of soldier deaths is given much more media attention and apparent care than that of the innocent lives lost by our soldiers (inb4 armed police swoop on the library I'm in).

Though to quote Stalin, one death is a tragedy whereas a million is a statistic..

Last edited by Ahleckz; 13th Mar 2012 at 09:44.
Ahleckz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:42   #9
Narj
Sgarrista

Quote:
He doesn't really because this guy went off on one and wasn't under specific orders to kill and maim civilians.

I wasn't aware that our soldiers were going around Afghanistan raping female civilians either? It's probably happened but I don't think it's "routine" or as widespread as he's implying.

|i5 2500K@4.6GHz CPU|Silver Arrow|16GB RAM|ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3|
|NZXT Phantom|Sammy 840 EvoPro 1TB|2 x 256GB M4|MSI GTX970 4GB|
|NEC 24WMGX3|ASUS Xonar Essence STX|Sennheiser 558 Headphones....|
Narj is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:42   #10
Stewy
Capodecina

His point is undermined by his woeful grammar.

Sort your sig, goon.
Stewy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:42   #11
Nitefly
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibinim View Post
I think so.

Really, criminal proceedings for that? What a waste of time. I'd rather we spent resources on actual misery causing criminals, let alone considering how this might affect the poor guys life.

Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:43   #12
Spenty
PermaBanned

That isn't inciteful? He is telling people to go and cry at graves and they are going to hell. It clearly worked someone up as it must have been reported.
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:44   #13
Robbo
Don

What a moron. He deserves everything he gets.

The 8 people who liked it should have the book thrown at them as well.

Robbo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:46   #14
shoes
Mobster

I for one am seriously unhappy that my tax money is being spent on this. The guy is clearly angry and about what's happening to (what is, I presume,) his country of origin, and perhaps isn't making his point properly, but I hardly feel this is a police matter.

Our police force is there to uphold the law and protect anyone who is in the UK at a given moment in time.

If he was being racist or threatening then perhaps yes, the police should get involved. As far as I can see he's voicing an opinion which is not a popular one, but surely this is something we must, as a country which allegedly promotes freedom of speech, accept as his opinion and nothing more.

I don't see any threat being posed in his post - just the angry ramblings of a young man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princey
I'm up for anything if it's local and there will be Japanese girls aged 19-24, who are into stuff.
shoes is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:46   #15
Nitefly
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

He deserves a criminal punishment for saying something that people might not like? It's not even as if he went out of his way to direct his message at a particular audience *shrug*

Seems totally disproportionate to me.

Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:50   #16
Deadbeat
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefly View Post
He deserves a criminal punishment for saying something that people might not like? It's not even as if he went out of his way to direct his message at a particular audience *shrug*

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

Not this. Get a grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerk View Post
I think it's safe to say guns don't kill people, minorities kill people.
Deadbeat is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:50   #17
Robbo
Don

Quote:

No, I do agree that it's a bit silly. I'd mostly echo what shoes has said above.

However, calling all our soldiers 'lowlife scum' and saying their loved ones should go and cry on the grave of those they have lost is utterly nasty and I'm not going to pity this idiot.

Obviously it may not have been intended for mainstream viewing (as the 8 likes would suggest), but that doesn't change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbeat View Post
Not this. Get a grip.
See my above reply.

Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:54   #18
Gilly
Commissario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahleckz View Post
That's it? For goodness sake. The World needs to get a grip. I wonder how many police hours are wasted dealing with non crimes like this. That isn't inciteful, that's a harmless post on a social media website. Between the policing of social networks, and dealing with phone hacking it's a wonder anyone actually gets arrested.

He has valid point. The portrayal of soldier deaths is given much more media attention and apparent care than that of the innocent lives lost by our soldiers (inb4 armed police swoop on the library I'm in).

Though to quote Stalin, one death is a tragedy whereas a million is a statistic..
Let's put some perspective on this. There was an outpouring of affection and emotion in his locale, because that's where the soldiers were originally from. At least two of them lived in Mr Ahmed's home town.

The Police were called in to protect him from the public after he'd posted what he did. They had to be seen to be doing something, else he would have just been targeted on release. It may well still happen.
Gilly is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:57   #19
elmarko
Capodecina

I don't want the police getting involved the second somebody makes an angry post.

Amazing how these right wing people want to chuck the book at him, thought police anyone?, nanny state?, government locking people up for being angry..? - pathetic.
elmarko is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 09:59   #20
Nitefly
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Let's put some perspective on this. There was an outpouring of affection and emotion in his locale, because that's where the soldiers were originally from. At least two of them lived in Mr Ahmed's home town.

The Police were called in to protect him from the public after he'd posted what he did. They had to be seen to be doing something, else he would have just been targeted on release. It may well still happen.
Interesting perspective, but I don't think it's a very sensible way to go about protecting someone and even so, only the most unreasonable of unreasonable people would want to do more to him that bop him on the nose for his silly comment.

Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:01   #21
Gilly
Commissario

Quote:
Interesting perspective, but I don't think it's a very sensible way to go about protecting someone and even so, only the most unreasonable of unreasonable people would want to do more to him that bop him on the nose for his silly comment.
I think you underestimate the stupidity of the general populace.

Had the Police not intervened and effectively placed him under house arrest I am convinced Dewsbury would be mourning the loss of another life.

Tensions are bad enough as it is.
Gilly is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:01   #22
Robbo
Don

Quote:
I imagine the likes of the EDL would do a bit more than 'bop him on the nose'. There are plenty of dangerous and extremely unreasonable people out there and given his name and likely skin colour... they wouldn't need much encouragement.

Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:02   #23
Ahleckz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

Rubbish.

If it was for his own protection then they wouldn't have arrested him for a racially agrevated public order offence (whatever one of those is!). The police stated that he was arrested because of how he said what he said.

Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:02   #24
Spenty
PermaBanned

I am far from being right wing, thank you. But as above to post that on facebook (whether worse has been said before or not) is sheer stupidity and hatred. I will say though I have seen people posting about pakistani and afghan people with pure racial hatred and nothing has been done about it, so I guess this guy was unlucky to be made a point off.
Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:03   #25
mrk
Capo Bastone

If enough people complain about it then it seems to become a criminal issue and the law jumps in.

Facebook is full of stupid people.

Even more stupid people who post stuff like that publicly.

How much time and money is going to be wasted over this week's Facebook incident I wonder.

mrk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:04   #26
Andy
Mobster

Being stupid isn't a crime.

Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:05   #27
mrk
Capo Bastone

Quote:
Being stupid isn't a crime.
Exactly.

Apply a small fine, ban his account perhaps but criminal proceedings? Might as well cuff up everyone else on Facebook that posts something distasteful too then.

It's a waste of time and resources. Neither of which we have spare these days.

mrk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:06   #28
Ahleckz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Exactly.

Apply a small fine, ban his account perhaps but criminal proceedings? Might as well cuff up everyone else on Facebook that posts something distasteful too then.
Why are we fining someone who has done nothing illegal?

Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:07   #29
Spenty
PermaBanned

Tbh your stupid yourself if you think stupidity was the only thing wrong with his post.
Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:07   #30
Robbo
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahleckz View Post
Why are we fining someone who has done nothing illegal?
Intelligence tax.