BT Infinity, How does it work?

Associate
You could be connected directly to the exchange.
You could be too far from the cabinet to receive >15Mb in which case they won't sell you infinity.

Soldato
OP
I live closer to the exchange than the people that can get it. its not just me, my work cant either and that's just up the road from my house.
I get 15Mb/s+ (1.6-2MB/s download) now so don't think its the speed that's the problem.

just seems odd that the 4 phone numbers I know around the exchange don't get it, yet people that live a little bit further out of town do, yet it all goes through the same exchange :confused: or do they have boxes that come off the exchange, and maybe we all come off a different one?

Last edited:
Associate
Then its possible you are connected directly to the exchange.

If you are connected directly to the exchange, you might be one of the lucky ones to get FTTP in the future.

Soldato
OP
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Put your phone number in there. The fact your postcode isn't on that sheet suggests that Fibre isn't planned for your area.

I cant find any postcodes via the filter, even ones I know have infinity.

THE BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

For Telephone Number 0120971**** on Exchange CAMBORNE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 6.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 14.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 12.5Mbps and 16.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 14.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 12.5Mbps and 16.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

Soldato
OP
ok got the first thing you sent working, what info do I need from it?

infin1.png

infin2.png

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, if that's what you got working. Although it isn't too exact.

For example, my parents can't get infinity, but the spreadsheet says that 100% of the lines in their postcode should get it with a 9.87 uplift. The cabinet is upgraded as people down the road from them can get it but they can't.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, if that's what you got working. Although it isn't too exact.

For example, my parents can't get infinity, but the spreadsheet says that 100% of the lines in their postcode should get it with a 9.87 uplift. The cabinet is upgraded as people down the road from them can get it but they can't.

this is my problem, people come into work saying BT have offered it to them, we check their numbers and yes they can get it. yet my house, work and friends that live within the same area off the same exchange cant :confused: sure if the exchange is working it should be available to all? or do I get a special cable that comes to my house for the broadband, so will take a while for them to put those up?

Associate
In my parents' case, I don't know why they are not able to get it from the cabinet. Its possible BT think that it will be <15Mb but by their calculations of a 9.87 uplift, the speed would be around 30Mb (get around 3-3.5Mb at the minute on ADSL).

You could always call BT or whoever your provider is about it and see what they say. They would be able to tell you for sure if you were connected directly to the exchange.

Soldato
OP
In my parents' case, I don't know why they are not able to get it from the cabinet. Its possible BT think that it will be <15Mb but by their calculations of a 9.87 uplift, the speed would be around 30Mb (get around 3-3.5Mb at the minute on ADSL).

You could always call BT or whoever your provider is about it and see what they say. They would be able to tell you for sure if you were connected directly to the exchange.

I tried talking to this rather rude lady at bt who just basically said 'its not available to you sir, we will email you when it is' I explained that Camborne exchange was done as people can already get it, she refused to acknowledge that and continued with the 'we will email you when its available' route. is there a special department I should be calling?

Back
Top Bottom