Is there any point in upgrading anymore?

Associate
I dont think i see the point anymore :(
got a Phenom x6, 16gb ram, 2gb 6970.

and all i seem to be playing is ****** console games.

is there ever going to be a game that uses the hardware i have?

oh! in ten yrs...ok lmao

Last edited:
Soldato
No point , even with new consoles you won't see much need.
The problem being that game development costs for big budget games are too high and very few devs can keep up. The ones that are, are typically your pc only devs anyway -aka projekt red

That's why indie, f2p are getting bigger and your seeing less big titles that aren't using an unreal engine

Associate
I was thinking about upgrading my PC for Battlefield 3 but opted to wait and see how it performed first. It runs fine on medium-ish settings, so I never bothered buying anything else. Probably wont for a long time now either.

Soldato
I haven't upgraded in two years and my machine still runs everything smoothly. I don't see myself needing an upgrade for some time - and I'm not complaining - I can't remember the last time I went so long without an upgrade!

Soldato
Only recently upgraded to keep up with flight/dogfight games. Otherwise, I wouldnt have bothered and stayed with Core2Duo and 460gtx...

Not only the graphics of current *blockbuster*titles are not worth upgrading for, but the games themselves are fery forgettable fodder overall. Thanks god for ROF, LockOn FC2 and IL2:CloD, or I'd be done with PC gaming altogether:)

Soldato
Still got a q6600 @3.2 with 4gb ddr2 and a 460 oc to 790mhz. Plays bf3 fine even tho ppl would say the cpu is holding (is it f...) me back but i play fine on high settings and thats pretty enough for me and plays smooth enough.

Tho i do fancy a sdd for slow loading games but only one i can think of is bf3 and maybe a bit more ram. But there not vital yet.

I would like to upgrade to a i5 2500k platform tho but i duno when. I know i can get about 150 for my mb, cpu and ram about now and the new stuff would be like 200 ish and a ssd would push it to 300 but even tho i have the money needed now i just dont see the point. I would like to upgrade when its the very last moment that my current stuff is worth something tho as id like to sell my current stuff to get the new stuff and doing it now would get me half the way there, id hate to miss the point where it wouldnt get me a lot tho. So might be forced to upgrade within the year as when the new cpus and mbs come out i think soon that will put my q6600 and mb and ram even lower on the 2nd hand price scale i think.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure we're looking at this the right way. Yes, it's entirely possible that if consoles were better then you would have a few games with better graphics to play. But how many would be able to play them? Is forcing development teams to do more with the same budget a bad thing? I don't think so. It seems we're finally bucking the trend that is Wirth's law.

Besides, better graphics take a lot of development time and effort. I remember a developer commentary where somebody said "i don't think you'll find a graphic designer that's glad that it's an HD world". You ever wonder why games are shorter than they used to be? Ten years ago you could spend days on the campaign, now it's over in six hours. That's because all the time went into the graphics.

And i mean even then, it's not like consoles are holding back graphic development. There's no reason you couldn't make a game with the best graphics you've ever seen and run it at lower settings on consoles. You're not upset that you don't have games with better graphics. You're upset that you don't have games that console gamers can't play.

Associate
Haven't upgraded for over 2 years now, and that's NEVER happened before, Up until now I used to upgrade every 18 months or so.

And even after these two years I see no need for the forseeable future.

Crap about the games, but the money I've saved there goes on higher game prices. Seems weird somehow.

Back
Top Bottom