• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just killed a 2500K..need a cheap replacement

Associate
As title really, CPU is well and truly dead.

Pushing 1.52v through it maybe wasn't such a good idea after all.

Perhaps I sub-consciously killed it to try and justify an IB CPU to the missus when they are released...who knows. :p

Anyways, I need a cheapo replacement until IB arrives. It would be silly to buy a new 2500K now or even a second hand one, since I'll be having a 3570K in less than a month (if the rumours are to be believed).

Any suggestions? I was thinking along the lines of this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-384-IN

£47, and will keep the machine ticking over for now. Obviously I know I'll be taking a pretty major performance hit, but I can live with it for a few weeks if necessary.

Soldato
That'll do the job.

Or even consider the Celeron G530. Only 200MHz and 1MB cache difference between the two and the G530 is only £35. I've got one in a system I just use for backup purposes and while I haven't ever ran anything demanding on it, basic stuff is nippy enough.

Associate
OP
This is beyond even the magical abilities of double facepalm. I salute you.

I must admit I thought killing a 2500K would be beyond my capabilities, obviously I was wrong - I still managed it.

Shame you're just a day late, the G530 was on offer for £29.99 IIRC. The G620 will do the job just fine as well.

Bugger, Aw well. I seem to have the uncanny ability to dodge the weekly offers on here, another one of my many talents along with killing CPUs it seems.

Thanks guys.

Caporegime
RMA the processor if it's still in warranty.

Unless you've caused some visible damage to the processor they'll likely never be able to tell why it's dead.

Caporegime
You only need to buy retail if you're going to be a tool and run stupid volts through your cpu tbh.

:confused:

You mainly buy retail so you have 3 years warranty instead of 1 regardless of what you're going to do to the CPU.

You also get a stock cooler, a nice box and probably a higher re-sale value after a couple of years.

I never buy OEM CPU's.

Currently:

• The retail 2500K is £6 more than OEM
  • The retail 2700K is £4 more than OEM
Sometimes the difference is more, sometimes the retail version is the same price or less.

Buy at the right time and you have to pay very little, if anything, more for the retail version.

Soldato
:confused:

You mainly buy retail so you have 3 years warranty instead of 1 regardless of what you're going to do to the CPU.

You also get a stock cooler, a nice box and probably a higher re-sale value after a couple of years.

I never buy OEM CPU's.

Currently:

• The retail 2500K is £6 more than OEM
  • The retail 2700K is £4 more than OEM
Sometimes the difference is more, sometimes the retail version is the same price or less.

Buy at the right time and you have to pay very little, if anything, more for the retail version.

Oh I totally agree with you when the difference is minimal. However a cpu will almost always never die if it doesn't die within the first year and most often the only reason it dies is because it was DOA to begin with so the warranty just isn't a big deal to me if there is a bigger difference in price. I believe I saved £25 on my 2500k when I bought it for £160. The cpu heat sink is also just something extra to throw away and I can't say I'd ever be bothered in trying to sell a cpu to get back some money.

Though I do agree with your point, just doesn't fit into my needs really as I tend to buy earlier in the cpu cycle so the price difference is more usually. My point however was that you only need that extra warranty if you are going to be doing stupid things with it and I feel that point still stands. Regardless of price difference, you don't need 3 years on a cpu which is never going to die if it goes past 1 year without you doing something to make it die.

I guess the main point I was highlighting was probably the foolishness of putting 1.5v through a sandybridge on an OEM chip. You gain no real world performance and almost guarantee your chip will die before 3 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom