The Z77 Sabertooth Club.

Associate
I think i'll be correct to assume this board is (will be) a very popular board so i feel like it deserves it's own thread.

A thread where people can discuss and share their experience with the board - the good and bads, etc.

So in case you have no idea of which board this thread will be all about here it is:

jwiGr.jpg

Official ASUS site:

Z77 Sabertooth

Official Microsite:

Z77 Sabertooth Microsite

Z77 Sabertooth at OCUK: Z77 Sabertooth

Feel free to post your pictures of the board, ask questions and share your overclock settings - both on Sandybridge and Ivybridge.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Reserved for Overclocking info:

ASUS UEFI Z77 Overclocking Guide: Click (You need PDF viewer)

System:
Motherboard: Z77 Sabertooth BIOS: 1015
CPU: Intel Sandybridge i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz stock
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (Orange/Blue) 1600 CL8 @ 1.5v
PSU: Corsair AX850
OS Drive: 64GB Crucial M4 SSD
Cooling: Custom water cooling

Target overclock CPU: 4.6GHz; RAM 1866 MHz

To achieve the above result, we will be working with the advanced UEFI menu so if you have not changed yours yet, please go ahead and do it.
All of our tweaking will take place either on the AI Tweaker or the Advanced menu screen.

First off let us start with AI Tweaker screen:

1. You want to set your AI overclock tuner to manual. This will allow you to control voltages, multiplier and other stuff. We need all this in order to be able to achieve our target OC.
2. First manually set the BCLK to 100 and then scroll down to CPU Mode and set it to Offset Mode.
3. For the Offsed Mode Sign choose + and for Offset Mode Voltage choose 0.005
4. I would suggest setting your DRAM voltage manually to 1.5 or lower, so it does not overvolt for whatever reason.
LYFl1.jpg
5. Now go to DIGI + Power Control subscreen and make sure everything is set as per below:
ICjMF.jpg
6. OK, we are done here, so let's go to the Advanced screen and choose CPU power management configuration:
WAoN0.jpg
7. Once we select CPU Power Management Configuration sub menu, we need to change the tabs to match the screenshot below:
YsrVp.jpg

That's all you need to do so save your settings and exit UEFI. boot Windows and run CPUZ to make sure Speedstep is on and your CPU Idles @ around 1.6GHz and about 1.00v (could be a little less 0.9 or a little more). If it does run Prime95 to make sure it speeds up to 4.6GHz @ around 1.32v.

If you encounter any problems, please make sure you double check all settings are same as above.

Last edited:
Associate
You know the PCI port below your graphics card. Do you think if you used a double slot graphics card it'd be obstructed?

PS: nice Rig :)

Associate
OP
You know the PCI port below your graphics card. Do you think if you used a double slot graphics card it'd be obstructed?

PS: nice Rig :)

This actually is an old pic. I have SLI now and i think you'll be fine if you wanted to plug in a sound card between the two GPU as long as they are watercooled.

See if this gives you a better idea of what the distance is like.

mwlrY.jpg

Associate
OP
What's the latest bios for this board? I heard yesterday that there was an un-released Asus one floating around the web.

Latest off ASUS Site is 0906 dated 30 March 2012, but i'm running 1009 dated 19-Apr-2012. I don't think it is on the server yet but here's a link you can find it.

http://91.121.148.119/downloads/BIOS/Z77/

It's about halfway down.
Obviously use at your own risk :D

Caporegime
Hi xxShinobixx.

A nice picture in the OP but hotlinking to images isn't allowed.

Please remove the image.

If you wish to replace it then please upload it to an image hosting site.

You may post images providing they are hosted by a well known image hosting website, such as imageshack, photobucket etc.. Directly linking to images on other sites that are not expressly for that purpose (known as Hotlinking) is not permitted. Hotlinked images will be removed with an infraction notice issued. Repeat offenders will be suspended. The sharing of images from your own personal web-space is acceptable providing you are the owner and give permission to do so. However, the OCUK moderation team reserve the right to replace or remove any image that is suspicious of being hotlinked or unknowingly hosted by a members personal web-space, as it is not possible to identify those where permission has been granted or otherwise. Such decisions will not be overturned. To avoid complication, we strongly advise that all images are hosted by a image host as mentioned above, which can be easily identified as so. Images containing nudity, adult or offensive material, including swearing is prohibited. Please check your images before posting. No watermarks or URLs for sites containing content that wouldn't normally be allowed such as competitors, adult sites etc. Any images of such nature will be removed and your account immediately suspended or banned. Unless otherwise agreed by the moderation team, images must no wider than 1024 pixels wide.

Soldato
Pictures in here look too pretty here's my effort

3770K 1.25V 4.6ghz - I'll have a better oc or lower volts in a week or so

IMG_1097.jpg

Associate
OP
^^^ Nice one mate. Welcome to the club, let us know how the OC goes and some more pics when all set up.

I have posted in the second post a guide for overclocking ASUS Z77 boards. It is not my guide so i take none of the credits it you find it useful.

Associate
I was reluctant initially but installed them anyway ... obviously sound like a jet engine at 5000+ rpm but can be switched off

Odd, I can't hear them whatever speed they are at.

The two things I don't like about this board... the clear CMOS is a jumper instead of a button which is what you expect on enthusiast board and the ram clips, my Samsung green ram is stuck in the board because only one clip actually moves.

Soldato
Odd, I can't hear them whatever speed they are at.

The two things I don't like about this board... the clear CMOS is a jumper instead of a button which is what you expect on enthusiast board and the ram clips, my Samsung green ram is stuck in the board because only one clip actually moves.

Yeah I agree, didn't like the RAM slot mechanism one bit either

Associate
OP
^^^This was the same on my ASRock Fatal1ty as far as i can remember. I thought this is standard nowadays :D

And i agree on the small fans being noisy, the good thing is they can be controlled to be off almost always unless under heavy use. I'm thinking of getting a 40mm Fractal Design for the back as i hear only good things about it.

Back
Top Bottom