• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7850 > 7870 BIOS Flashed!!

Soldato
Guys, it's late...I'm tired and I have work in the morning.

I have been testing the following, heaven benched ok but black lines on dragon scene (did this on 7850 bios though????). Have many things to say but will post back in detail tomorrow. Sorry can't say much now as mrs is moaning :rolleyes:

My 7850 standard

28lq8eg.jpg

Running 7870 Bios

20jlo35.jpg

Rolling back for now as mrs needs PC tomorrow when im out at work

1j5dy.jpg

DON'T ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF!!!!!!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wouldn't it have been easier to just overclock the 7850?

Plenty of people have overclocked them well beyond 1000MHz without flashing the BIOS.

Caporegime
All the OP has achieved is a higher clocked HD 7850 which is what I was trying to point out originally.

Nothing has been unlocked.

Unlike the HD 6950 there is nothing to try and unlock.

Caporegime
im not trying to shootdown the ops post,but i dont see what it brings flashing to a 7870 bios,other than upping the standard gpu voltage and the core/mem clocks thats all i can see that it does

if it gave you the same amount of shaders as a 7870 then i see your point

Caporegime
im not trying to shootdown the ops post,but i dont see what it brings flashing to a 7870 bios,other than upping the standard gpu voltage and the core/mem clocks thats all i can see that it does

That is all it does.

There's no point in messing around with the BIOS when you can get a better overclock using Afterburner.

Soldato
That is all it does.

There's no point in messing around with the BIOS when you can get a better overclock using Afterburner.

^... This...

Only thing you are doing is risking bricking your GPU by flashing, it does not unlock shaders, any other hardware or remove any limitations set in the VBIOS on these cards. So a simple overclock is all you need to do to get the same results and with a lot less risk of bricking your new card.

Last edited:
Associate
I say good on the OP for trying it, he has balls and everyone slates him for it just as it didn't unlock any shaders. If it unlocked shaders you would all be worshipping him.:rolleyes:
At least now we know for certain.

Soldato
OP
I say good on the OP for trying it, he has balls and everyone slates him for it just as it didn't unlock any shaders. If it unlocked shaders you would all be worshipping him.:rolleyes:
At least now we know for certain.

Yes, this is the exact reason for trying

Already overclocked myself on the 7850 bios to near 1200 core and 1475 on the memory. This was just to put the whole 7870 bios flashing to bed really.

Read many posts about it across the net and had a way of trying it without any risk of bricking it.

Now we know :D

Love all the posts about just overclocking being the same. Yes, but before flashing we didn't really know for certain lol

Soldato
Yes, this is the exact reason for trying

Already overclocked myself on the 7850 bios to near 1200 core and 1475 on the memory. This was just to put the whole 7870 bios flashing to bed really.

Read many posts about it across the net and had a way of trying it without any risk of bricking it.

Love all the posts about just overclocking being the same. Yes, but before flashing we didn't really know for certain lol
If AMD didn't laser cut off the bits, pretty sure the net would get the wind of it. So in a way, people are just saying you are taking a risk for no reward...and if you ever have to rma the card, you can't just send the card back without flashing the bios AGAIN.

Caporegime

There is no way to flash the BIOS and be 100% certain you won't brick the card.

The HD 7850 has been available for around 2½ months.

We'd have heard by now if there was anything to unlock.

But thanks for risking your card to prove what we were already 99.9999% certain of.

I'll leave you the 0.0001% so you can feel you didn't take the risk for no reason.

Associate
Give him a break. It is possible to re-flash a so called 'bricked' card you know. Like he said it was a minimal risk so unlike most people on here criticising he probably has the knowledge to repair a bricked card.

Soldato
OP
Give him a break. It is possible to re-flash a so called 'bricked' card you know. Like he said it was a minimal risk so unlike most people on here criticising he probably has the knowledge to repair a bricked card.

Yep, hence me creating a little program which automatically re-flashed the card on boot if anything went **** up :D

Did a couple of blind tests without the monitors plugged in to be sure

Caporegime

Yep, hence me creating a little program which automatically re-flashed the card on boot if anything went **** up :D

Did a couple of blind tests without the monitors plugged in to be sure

Being able to re-flash a bricked card isn't 100% guaranteed either.

Fair enough that glen8 had a go but I reckon the odds of him bricking the card were higher than him discovering that the HD 7850 would have anything to unlock.

Back
Top Bottom