DCS - P51D Mustang - Stunning Trailer

Permabanned
The DCS thing has got me a bit confused now.

Do I need black shark 2, fc2 and warthog to use those games content?

Or is it like, I buy one of those games and I can see all the content but I can't fly a plane from the games I don't have?

Also whats this dcs world thing about, I tried finding out on the dcs website but its a bit of a mess. Is it a free simulator or something, when is it releasing? Is there a beta I can play now?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
From their Forum...

DCS stands for “Digital Combat Simulator”. DCS is a world simulation engine permitting the user to operate or direct a growing number of combat and civilian aircraft, ground vehicles and ships, from different historical eras and in different geographical locations. It is a true "sand box" simulation. DCS started with the Ka-50 and A-10C, but has recently grown to also include the P-51D Mustang and, with Combined Arms, a ground command and control tactical warfare component. Future products from The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics in the DCS line are in development and will include third party products for the first time.

The overall "simulation operating system" is termed DCS World and is a free program that includes a free Su-25T for the player to fly. All DCS products will plug into DCS World as unique modules within the same software installation. DCS products will not be limited to aircraft, but will include maps, missions, campaigns, environment objects, weapons, vehicles and ships. We even hope to look into a train simulation component in the future!

Third party products to DCS are supported by ED and there are already several qualified 3rd party teams creating new aircraft that will plug into DCS World. In these cases we leave it up to the developer to decide the level of systems fidelity, but we do expect certain "DCS Standards" to be maintained such as detailed and accurate models and cockpits, mouse clickable cockpit controls, and 6 DOF view control. Third parties are provided access to our Standard Flight Model (SFM), which ED can assist to adjust and improve to suit the requirements. Given the extremely complex nature of our Advanced Flight Model (AFM) in DCS we are currently unable to provide a SDK for 3rd party use. However, 3rd parties are also invited to offer their own Flight Models should it prove to be satisfactory.

In parallel, we are also developing Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3), which will also work within DCS World. However, Flaming Cliffs 3 will require an installation of Lock On: Modern Air Combat to be present on your computer. FC3 will probably be the last version of this critically acclaimed product line.

Linky http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89885

Soldato
Everything DCS is migrating to DCS:-World (It is still in Beta) - all the Aircraft are now modules of the Main Program called DCS:-World. The Main program is fully functional, free and contains a Free Attack Aircraft (Su-25T).

Download the First 4 files here http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?scr=product&ProductId=18&end_pos=135&lang=en

The A-10C, Black Shark 2, Mustang and upcoming Combined Arms (due this month) will all plugin into the main program.

EDIT:- DCS:-Combined Arms trailer for those interested. Made by the same guy.

Nate

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ok, so is this DCS World basically useless if I own no DCS products.

I only have black shark 1, so I will need to get DCS World if I want to play bs online in the future?

Sorry for being fick.

Permabanned
Oh great, and they wonder why people pirate games.

Wait is that free, as that page has all the download links on it.

Or will it ask for a serial key after I've downloaded that lot?

Associate
Hi Guys, I'm really interested in the DCS range of sims, I've played other combat sims in the past such as European airwar & IL2 though not many modern aircombat sims & I was just wondering how much of a learning curve there is with these games, I mean I'm willing to put in some time & effort but I don't really want to have to get a degree in avionics to be able to take off. any views?

Soldato
The difficulty is scalable to certain extent. You can go from a very basic arcade style of play, all the way to uber detailed, with levels in between. Stuff like Taking off can be either handled by starting ready to go on the runway, in the air - or even an automatic start sequence (Lwin key + Pgup) from a cold start.

The free Su-25T with DCS:- World is simpler than the other DCS aircraft and would be a good starting point, I think.

Nate

Soldato
Ok, so is this DCS World basically useless if I own no DCS products.

I only have black shark 1, so I will need to get DCS World if I want to play bs online in the future?

Sorry for being fick.

Due to unknown reasons ED didn't want/need the most experienced people
who have flown black shark for 3 years to be included in the Beta.

You could buy the BS1 -> BS2 patch ( but will not be able to play in the DCS world until they release the final version (which no one knows when) )

Best advice IF you want to play Black shark in the DCS world buy the full
version of Black Shark 2 , download DCS world and then the BS2 module for it.
Cheapest I can find it http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-DCS-Black-Shark-2-UK/5002374/ £14.99

Soldato
The BS2 upgrade beta module for DCS:-World will be along sooner than final release, AFAIK. Most likely arriving along with the Combined Arms beta release. But I can't promise that for sure.

That said, that £15 for the full version is a not bad at all.

Nate

Soldato
The BS2 upgrade beta module for DCS:-World will be along sooner than final release, AFAIK. Most likely arriving along with the Combined Arms beta release. But I can't promise that for sure.

That said, that £15 for the full version is a not bad at all.

Nate

So basically you haven't a clue either .... but lots of faith that ED will deliver ?

Soldato
nice trailer but still don't get it ...

P51s against P51s ? don't see the point. Just as I would find A10s against A10s boring ... all the time ..

I'm also rather annoyed at the BS1>BS2 "upgrade" debarkle - but I still bought A10

btw on that note will BS1 work in DCS World ? or have any plans to ?

I'm worried about where DCS is going though - I bought A10 for the sheer quality of the flight model and on-board systems modelling, which I think is amazing

would not like to see DCS becoming similar to FSX with lots of 3rd party releases of various quality .... sorry

Soldato
nice trailer but still don't get it ...

P51s against P51s ? don't see the point. Just as I would find A10s against A10s boring ... all the time ..

Maybe in time more modules will be released, who knows. I do know one or two AI craft are being worked on by a 3rd party.

I'm also rather annoyed at the BS1>BS2 "upgrade" debarkle - but I still bought A10

btw on that note will BS1 work in DCS World ? or have any plans to ?

No Plans for BS1 in DCS:-World, just BS2. Your not the first to be feel put out by that.

I'm worried about where DCS is going though - I bought A10 for the sheer quality of the flight model and on-board systems modelling, which I think is amazing

would not like to see DCS becoming similar to FSX with lots of 3rd party releases of various quality .... sorry

I dunno, I'm quite exited about it. ED have already stated there will be a close vetting of Titles bearing the name DCS:-XX XXXXX. Anything not bearing DCS in its main title still has to meet certain standards also. In the end I'd say wait and see, you get to vote with your wallet after all.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom