Sky Go streamed to TV

Soldato
Sky Go can be purchased separately for £35, with unlimited (upto) 20mb broadband and phone line it comes to £57 a month

I was told that through Sky Go you can get all 6 sports channels, F1 channel, documentaries, music channels and kids channels

If we move into our house and get this, how would we stream it to TV if we don't have a laptop or want to leave a phone next to the TV all the time?

Does watching Sky Go use a lot of internet bandwidth? I still would like to play online games every now and again. Downloads will be limited I know otherwise the TV will suffer, but I don't mind using a download cap. How things like Steam and Windows update will affect TV, im not sure

Any comments on people who use Sky Go through TV instead of Sky TV would be appreciated

Permabanned
You can stream Sky Go through an xbox360......we do it, however we do have a multi room subscriptions as well so get Sky Go free.

Soldato
OP
its cheaper to get sky!

No its not. We pay £63 a month now for phone line, broadband and Sky sports package with entertainment, music, documentaries

We cant get Sky in our new house as there is no communal dish and satellites cannot be installed on the building. There is also no Cable in the area so cant get Virgin Media / other. Only other option is BT Vision but its £70 a month and supposed to be terrible

Soldato
No its not. We pay £63 a month now for phone line, broadband and Sky sports package with entertainment, music, documentaries

We cant get Sky in our new house as there is no communal dish and satellites cannot be installed on the building. There is also no Cable in the area so cant get Virgin Media / other. Only other option is BT Vision but its £70 a month and supposed to be terrible

But Sky Go has hardly any channels???

Caporegime
You can't stream sky go to a TV from anything mobile or tablet like an iPhone, iPad or Android phone as the app will stop working by design. You can watch on a TV from an Xbox (gold sub required to view) or from a laptop or desktop PC.

Soldato
I was told that through Sky Go you can get all 6 sports channels, F1 channel, documentaries, music channels and kids channels
that's correct, but I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra for those channels. Sports would be £20 a month, and music channels/kids (other than MTV and CBeebies) would be part of the Entertainment pack which is another £20.

Soldato
OP
I wonder just how many houses have satellites on their building despite it saying otherwise in the lease/deed conditions? In my street its 95% of them.

Do it anyway.

We are moving to a small block of apartments (23 rooms) in the middle of city center. It would be very easy for landlords to see. Might inquire about one on the roof or something

Caporegime
We are moving to a small block of apartments (23 rooms) in the middle of city center. It would be very easy for landlords to see. Might inquire about one on the roof or something

If you can get enough interest from people in the block then Sky can arrange for a communal system to be installed. There's more info here about Communal systems, often subsidised by Sky if they can get enough people to sign up.

Soldato
OP
We can ask, but generally the apartments are short term lets. From what the letting agency has said, only us plus 3 or 4 other apartments have been rented long term (6 or 12 month contracts)

Associate
I have had Sky Go output to the TV from my Xbox 360 (but requires an additional XBL Gold membership), laptop and iPad via HDMI. We already have 2 dishes installed, and I like the flexibility of a 1 month rolling contract. I only watch Sky Sports so even if I went for the satellite setup somehow, I would still be paying the same amount.

As you can watch it on 2 devices at once, I split the cost with a relative.

I'm on BT Infinity with 60Mbps+ so I have no issues streaming it even when gaming.

Associate
That's for Sports+Movies+ESPN.

If you just want Sky Sports and F1, along with those basic channels, it's £35 which is what I'm doing atm.

Bear in mind though this only works via laptop or Xbox. If you go via the iPhone, iPad or Android route, you don't get all the basic channels like kids and documentaries. This is perfect for me as I only watch Sky Sports, and having it on my iPad means I can take it anywhere, like to work :)

Caporegime
That's not always possible. As an example, I live in a listed building and would have the council knocking on my door if I were to put one up.

Dishes don't have to go on the building. There's nothing stopping you mounting one low down on a pole in your garden (as long as it can see the sat), in a flower bed or something to disguise it, and then running the cabling back into the house.

Soldato
OP
Dishes don't have to go on the building. There's nothing stopping you mounting one low down on a pole in your garden (as long as it can see the sat), in a flower bed or something to disguise it, and then running the cabling back into the house.

I'll have a look around the building tonight to see if we can put a dish anywhere hidden thats not directly on the building

Back
Top Bottom