Should I buy a generic SATA cable?

Soldato
By generic, you mean no identifiable manufacturer? Most SATA cables are identical, there is no advantage in buying for SATA II or III. Personally I like the thin round ones with one end right angled.

Soldato
By generic, you mean no identifiable manufacturer? Most SATA cables are identical, there is no advantage in buying for SATA II or III. Personally I like the thin round ones with one end right angled.

Do you know any good store that sells them for cheap?

The cheapest I seen them or is £3.30 for the really thin ones.

Soldato
Be warned that some can be of poor construct, had a batch i had to return as they kept dropping HDDs and corrupting data, likely poor conductors or soldering etc.. Also really nasty ones can either be a bastich to fit or fit too easily and fall out eventually as the connectors are poorly molded.

Caporegime
Be warned that some can be of poor construct, had a batch i had to return as they kept dropping HDDs and corrupting data, likely poor conductors or soldering etc.. Also really nasty ones can either be a bastich to fit or fit too easily and fall out eventually as the connectors are poorly molded.

This. I have had cheap and nasty ones fall to peices before now and I have lost drives.

Better to spend an extra quid or two on a half decent one IMO

G J

G J

Associate
After buying 2 cheep generic/unbranded SATA cables as I needed ones with a right angle connectors, 1 of them failed a while back now after causing the drive to rarely kill itself and the way to recover the data was running testdisk on a 1TB drive for about 4-5 hours. :( After switching the cable it not happened since.

The other I've just thrown away as it started to cause a high number of SMART (C7) Ultra DMA CRC error count's (Can be caused by bad cables) and random crashing on a drive. Again after switching the cable it not happened since although now after about a year I have to RMA the drive as it's now got bad sectors on it :(

So cheeper one's can work fine without any problems but from my experience they may not last long. Strange as I've never had any issue with cables included with motherboards. :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Like I said, some are really. really cheaply made. The last cheap one I bought, the end fell in half as I plugged it in............

Doesn't inspire confidence.

Back
Top Bottom