Anyone in to 3D Modelling? (CGI not fashion!)

Associate
Just modelled this room in Autodesk Maya, for example work for my application to get an internship.
Thought whilst I wait to get a reply I would see what other people thought.

Any advice or feedback would be great if you could take a moment please guys :)

Room_14.png

Associate
Crit time. - get used to it.;)

Notable things that stand out to me.
1) over exposed - its far too bright. - things are either fully lit or in full shadow. There should be many gradients in between.
2) Blown out areas such as lamp/ wheels on tv stand - incorrect shader used.
3) No/few soft shadows
4) Too few samples used in gi/radiosity/rendering calculation
5) Bad textures used for poster and carpet (appear blury) - maybe sampling issues.
6) UV mapping appears distorted on wall & carpet.
7) Sky texture. - even though this appears to be a upper floor room. the sky/clouds appear to go to almost ground level suggesting this is some crazy 50 story building. something representing land outside - treetops/roofs/hills would make it more believable.
8)Models - all have right angle edges - look around your room, how many items of furniture actually have right angle edges - Most are beveld/rounded in some manner - as are the corners of walls etc. The Pillows (really?).
As a designer - why would you choose to create something in nasty laminate when cost is no issue ?

7) Stock models used. - I appologise in advance if I am incorrect, however this image stinks of stock models. - basically poor quality 3D clip art. If you try and pass this off as your work you had better be sure it is your work. Or you wont get far in the industry. - There is nothing wrong with stock items, if used appropriately and creatively. However passing a whole scene off as your own work is a dangerous game -Especially if you are aiming for a modeling position rather than rendering.
I'd suggest you may have created the windows/walls.

For this reason I'm out..

Soldato
Any advice or feedback would be great if you could take a moment please guys :)

....Brutal.

Yes, but he did ask for advice or feedback, I'm no expert, but JS is right on many points, lamp on shelve above tv looks totally flat, no definition.
Pillows,duvet all wrong, texture on duvet looks coarse, like sack cloth, books on shelves are all wrong, look artificial.

Only shadow on one glass door above tv, thought you would have some on other as well?

And plant or two would help, bring some more colour in to the room.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Crit time. - get used to it.;)

Notable things that stand out to me.
1) over exposed
2) Blown out areas
3) No/few soft shadows
4) Too few samples used
5) Bad textures used for poster and carpet (appear blury)
6) UV mapping appears distorted on wall & carpet.
7) Sky texture. - the sky/clouds appear to go to almost ground level
8) Models - all have right angle edges
9) Stock models used
For this reason I'm out..

Seriously thanks a lot for the crit!... Now excuse me while I go borrow my dads shotgun and retreat to the barn! lol

No I knew there were some of those exact issues you mention although the model is completely mine :p and the furniture looks exactly the same as the reference photo I modeled. Maybe could use some light beveling though.
The sky issue did bother me, hence why i tried to flood out the bottom although yes it still didnt feel right.

It sounds to me like you have some experience in 3D Blackbadger?

To be honest I kept having an error with mental ray and didn't want to take any more time trying to solve it. I ran out of time and although I knew that it wasn't perfect, I was hoping it would be enough to show I have potential and get me the internship. After all, learning is what that experience would be all about eh.

I had a reply today saying that they are very busy and so I would need to hit the ground running. So I should work on my modeling/lighting techniques in one final best piece. He did also say that he would be more than happy to feedback me on this. So thats promising at least :)
The guy was on the same course as me but when I did my second course (not in 3D) he obviously got busy and scored himself this job.

Anyway, thanks again guys! Please keep the feedback coming, and I will keep the renders coming :)

Associate
if you can post there reference photo you used that would be usefull

if your using texture maps like the wallpaper it might be blurring the image by default, not used maya but i know my software does this. The cupboard on the back wall has no reflections, should it? looks like the same material as the other furniture, and the reflection on the second black cupboard looks wrong aswell.

Last edited:
Soldato
I quite like 3D modelling, so thought this thread would be of interest. However, you seem to have drawn a bedroom. The colours don't correspond to stress distributions and the bedroom doesn't look very much like an engine. So I probably can't help after all. Best of luck

*cough* architect scum *cough*

Associate
When you look at your render versus the reference image, it just gives the impression you've done a rushed job and avoided modelling and mapping anything that isn't easy.

They're probably not expecting you to model everything, but the things you've done are the easiest stuff, and you've left out detail or simplified items from the reference image that I suspect they want you to demonstrate you have the skills to do.

Look at the different surfaces and textures used on the bedding, no details are evident on the globe, look at the lid on the bin. The detail between the drawers, the cupboard top under the window. Notice how the right hand wall unit is open and with a mirror.

You probably need to pick a number of more complex items and really do a good detailing job on them.

Also I know the lighting has been mentioned before, but there is something seriously wrong, it could be the bedside lamp - or a light source in that direction, look at the shadows cast on the bin and how the bin and cupboard cast shadows on the window wall. Something from the left hand side is casting as much light as the sun in your image!

Overall I'd say it's a good start but I wouldn't consider submitting it until you've done a lot more work. I'll wish you luck, and hope you'll keep working on it and show us it as it progresses.

Soldato
No I knew there were some of those exact issues you mention although the model is completely mine :p and the furniture looks exactly the same as the reference photo I modeled.

I would say this is a slight problem, the models might look exactly the same to you but they are very very different. You might think it's being pedantic, but the differences that you missed, to me, are the differences between realistic and obvious CG.

Maybe could use some light beveling though.

Everything should have a bevel on it really, as has been said nothing really has a sharp 90 degree angle, however it's less important the further back the "camera" is. You can get away with not bevelling edges and still have a good looking scene, just make sure that you account for it when it comes to closeups. Sharp edges are one of the most obvious things in a scene that makes it look fake.

How much 3D experience do you have? Your scene is by no means bad, and everyone has to start somewhere of course.

The sky issue did bother me, hence why i tried to flood out the bottom although yes it still didnt feel right.
It's more the texture itself, the gradient from the light blue to the darker blue isn't something you'd tend to see on a low rise building, as the angle of the sky and atmosphere is pretty shallow, in a very high rise building, the angle you would see the sky at would be pretty sharp, so you'd more likely get that sort of gradient.

To be honest I kept having an error with mental ray and didn't want to take any more time trying to solve it. I ran out of time and although I knew that it wasn't perfect, I was hoping it would be enough to show I have potential and get me the internship. After all, learning is what that experience would be all about eh.
Hopefully they'll see it the same way, I would say it depends on what kind of internship it is though. Are they expecting you to know what you're doing properly, from the start or are they going to be teaching you?

I had a reply today saying that they are very busy and so I would need to hit the ground running. So I should work on my modeling/lighting techniques in one final best piece. He did also say that he would be more than happy to feedback me on this. So thats promising at least :)
The guy was on the same course as me but when I did my second course (not in 3D) he obviously got busy and scored himself this job.

I think it might be a good idea for you to do a running WIP here so people can give you advice and crits while you're still doing the project to help with the end result.

Associate
I haven't read the whole thing, but that needs some real hard work if what you're going for is photo-realism.

It's all in the lighting, I highly recommend reading a fair few lighting tutorials. I've been doing 3D Modelling for a few years now using 3DS Max, AutoCAD and Photoshop.

Other than that the modelling itself looks good.

Associate
OP
I think it might be a good idea for you to do a running WIP here so people can give you advice and crits while you're still doing the project to help with the end result.

Really big thanks for all the awesome advice guys!! Really liking this forum already! :)

I will keep it up and I'll keep adding to this thread as I progress. I have installed my CoolIt Vantage water cooler today and my pc is now overclocked to 3Ghz instead of the 2.8Ghz it was before. Yet it is still cooler than previous idle temps even when rendering with mental ray!! So that should help on the time front a little ;)

Oh just so you know, they didn't give me that reference image it was just something I liked the look of on the google.

I only did an HND in 3D and then an illustration BA which is why I'm a bit out of practice. My external drive died and I lost all the work I had done through my 3D course and personally, so I got a bit disheartened after that! But I'm determined again now and will be on the tutorial hunt very soon.

Thanks again, everyone, not just spoffle I've quoted :)

Associate
:) well - I guess I got the stock part wrong. - My bad.

my advice when doing interior shots such as this, is to hide all the objects, so you have a empty room, and put some primitives in as blocks to simply represent the bed etc, so you can do lighting tests without having to wait ages for the renders to come out. Turn down the quality settings etc, and a test render albeit not perfect should allow you to tweek the lighting until it is correct.

As others have pointed out something is amiss with the shadows/lighting on the floor by the window. You should not have shadows here of the window frames.

It appears that you have mutiple suns outside one vertical and one diaginal. - Ideally you should have only either 1 light (sun) or 2 (sky - environment map) and (sun)

Associate
OP
:) well - I guess I got the stock part wrong. - My bad.

As others have pointed out something is amiss with the shadows/lighting on the floor by the window. You should not have shadows here of the window frames.

It appears that you have mutiple suns outside one vertical and one diaginal. - Ideally you should have only either 1 light (sun) or 2 (sky - environment map) and (sun)

Yes this is the error I was saying with mental ray. The virtual sun and sky thing was bugging out. I'm going to sort it out n I'll add to the thread then :)

Thank you again for all the excellent advice, hopefully next time my render will be a lot better ;)

Back
Top Bottom