LG D2343P 23" VGA DVI HDMI 3D Monitor

Associate
hey, ive just bought a new pc and im looking at getting this monitor mainly for gaming, more for the 120hz in 2d mode.

watching films ect in 3d would be nice but not the main goal.

specs are...

Take your multimedia display to the next level with an LG 3D monitor. Transform your home viewing to a real cinematic experience with 2D to 3D conversion. The IPS screen increases viewing angles and colour range, making this LED monitor an impressive addition to any gadget filled home. IPS screen allowing an increased viewing angle with true colour range.

Monitor:
•23in LED IPS display.
•Widescreen.
•Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
•Brightness 250cd/m2.
•Contrast ratio 5000000:1.
•Pixel pitch 0.26mm.
•Response time 5ms.
•Horizontal viewing angle 178°, vertical viewing angle 178°.
•Anti-glare screen.
•Suitable for wall mounting.

Interfaces and connectivity:
•DVI-D, D-Sub, HDMI.

General features:
•Size H45.9, W64.2, D20.3cm.
•Weight 4.5kg.

i dont rly know a huge deal about pcs so looking for advice, would i be able to use this for 2d gaming at 120hz? and what would i need for watching films in 3d?

dunno if my pc matters but here it is.

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W)

Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7850 OC Windforce 2X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card.

or if their is any other monitor than can do the job in the £200 price range.

thanks.

Associate
That monitor is only 60Hz passive 3D NOT 120Hz active 3D. I bought last years model (D2342P) but sent it back as I thought the 3D was a load of rubbish on that model.

I see you have an AMD graphics card so i would say you should look at a Samsung 120Hz monitor like this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-164-SA&groupid=17&catid=1425&subcat=

It's over your budget but you are limited if you want 120Hz/3D. You missed out on the Samsung S23A700D special offer a couple of months ago when I think you could get them for about £165

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That monitor is only 60Hz passive 3D NOT 120Hz active 3D. I bought last years model (D2342P) but sent it back as I thought the 3D was a load of rubbish on that model.

I see you have an AMD graphics card so i would say you should look at a Samsung 120Hz monitor like this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-164-SA&groupid=17&catid=1425&subcat=

It's over your budget but you are limited if you want 120Hz/3D. You missed out on the Samsung S23A700D special offer a couple of months ago when I think you could get them for about £165

ah ok i thought all 3d monitors was 120hz, does that mean you can get none 3d monitors that are 120hz then?

as i said the main goal is for 120hz for fps games 3d aspect would be a bonus but not a must. if not guess i would go with the one you posted, unless their are better 120hz none 3d monitors (i have no idea)

Soldato
I have just picked up one of these screens and so far I think it is fantastic. It's IPS panel is easily as good as my Dell 2412 for image quality and the 3D works far better than I thought it would for such a cheap screen.

Tbh I'm thinking of keeping this screen instead of one of my 2412's as having the 3D is really nice and I'm not getting headaches like I do from the active ones.

The screen also works well with the Xbox 360 and both Halo and Gears of war 3 look good in 3D.

Associate
I agree with MOOGLEYS; this monitor is really good. The stand is rather limited regarding the height adjustment, but this is my only criticism.
In the 2D mode I get the required quality for usual tasks: programming, word processing, etc...The color ajustments are almost useless.

I have used the D2342P model and there were still a few drawbacks: possible crosstalks, correct viewing position difficult to achieve, etc...So I can see today the improvements made by LG with the 43 serie. I own 30 3DBlu-Rays and I don’t get anymore crosstalks, even on subtitles which are very sensitive to them.
THE MARRIAGE IPS-LE+3D PASSIVE HAS BEEN A RIGHT CHOICE.
Only in the 3D mode there is still constrain on the viewing distance. I found that 1.30m is a good value and for this reason I have chosen the D2743P monitor instead of the D2343P one. I purchased this monitor in Korea a few weeks ago, because it was not available in Europe at that time.

The conversion 2D-3D is also better than in the past. The choices are easily made with buttons well located at the bottom of the screen.

I have also tested the 3D video files I obtained with my FujiFilm 3D camcorder; here also I got good results although the parallax is rather high.

I fully disagree with the usual sentence : « passive 3D is not Full HD because only 540 lines are displayed ». This statement could lead to wrong interpretations :
- it is true that eyes only see 540 horizontal lines, BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT FOR EACH EYE; finally all 1080 lines are displayed together, so one may keep the usual frequency 60 Hz.
- the active 3D video seems better because each eye sees 1080 lines BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME, so one needs 120Hz screens. The shutter glasses are expansive, heavy and require a battery. Some persons can get headaches.

Jacques Ligou
Lausanne
Switzerland

Associate
Sorry to revive this thread.

but seems most Samsung 3d monitors have disappeared from most vendors, only the very expensive 950 series are still alive.

Since I plan on buying 2 monitors.. I wonder if this LG is really worth it (now considering the 43P version is cheaper than the older 42P version )

anyone knows more details like ghosting and lag? because apart from viewing movies in 3d, I plan on playing games.

Associate
As above this is a 60Hz passive 3D monitor and not comparable to the Samsungs for responsiveness.

Im not comparing it to the samsungs.. as they are impossible to get for me (and the 950 series are way too overpriced in my country)

Im interested in the 3d and the image quality ( I have a BENQ for main gaming, and looking to replace my aging ACER AL2216W )

*edit*

To resume, id love to know

a) how good is the LG D2343P-BN vs Samsung in 3d
b) Is the LG-D2343P AMD compatible like the older D2342P?
c) how does the LG D2343P compare vs the new ASUS VG23AH ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I fully disagree with the usual sentence : « passive 3D is not Full HD because only 540 lines are displayed ». This statement could lead to wrong interpretations :
- it is true that eyes only see 540 horizontal lines, BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT FOR EACH EYE; finally all 1080 lines are displayed together, so one may keep the usual frequency 60 Hz.

I dont see how you can disagree with his sentence.

What he said is totally correct. Cinema 3D (passive) is not Full HD. Each eye can only see 540 lines. For full HD, each eye would have to see 1080 lines, which they can't do, or it would be active 3D.

So no matter how you like to dress it up, in Cinema 3D, there is no full HD.

That will change tho, when LG start to use 4k screens that will allow for 1080 lines per eye.

Back
Top Bottom