• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Benchmark results - 680 SLI (max OC) in a triple-monitor resolution

Soldato
There has been a fair bit of talk recently from users contemplating moving to a Surround/Eyefinity set up but not able to find many actual benchmarks on the latest drivers and/or with an overclock to work out if they have the GPU horse power necessary to drive three screens.

Following on from Gregster's excellent thread here I decided to run some of my own benchmarks on this generations top end nVidia GPU - the GTX 680 - with what I have termed a 'maximum overclock' on the latest drivers in a triple monitor resolution. All games were benched at a bezel corrected resolution of 5800*1080.

My own set-up was as follows:

i7 3770K
8GB Kingston HyperX RAM
MSI GTX 680 2GB (reference model)
Gigabyte Windforce 3x GTX 680 2GB

All tests ran on 306.23 drivers.

The CPU was clocked to 4.6 Ghz to do all that is possible to remove any CPU bottleneck. The GTX 680's were clocked to the highest possible common clock speed. For mine, that is a core speed of 1275 Mhz and a memory effective speed of 7.06 Ghz.

All tests were ran with Windows Aero disabled.

Before I get to the results I will tackle the elephant in the room and that is of course VRAM. There are a plethora of arguments on this subject throughout the forum (I am probably part of them all!) but in my testing I haven't seen anything to change my opinion that 2GB is not the limiting factor in today's games. What is undeniably true is that this resolution requires an extraordinary amount of GPU horse power to achieve playable frame rates on high to ultra settings.

If we just imagine for a second that these two GPU's had say 16GB of VRAM (!) to just take it out of the equation... there is not a single game I have tested where if I want to achieve playable frame-rates - and I'm being very generous in what I'm terming playable - I am close to the VRAM limit. A couple of games do run close but I have no intention of playing them at the FPS they give. I didn't actually run out of VRAM once in my testing. Metro 2033 on maximum settings was the closest but the MSAA VRAM requirement on its own is around 1GB which is quite frankly completely absurd. I have no idea why it is so high in that game. :)

Talking about future games now - unless the GPU power required to drive high to ultra settings decreases or remains close to static in comparison to today's games then I still feel you're going to be lowering settings to achieve acceptable FPS anyway in the future and as such lowering the VRAM requirement in the process. That's just my personal feel on it nothing scientific there.

In a fair few games I find myself tweaking with settings to achieve frame rates that I am happy with which of course in turn drops the VRAM required from close-ish to not close at all with BF3 being a great example of this.

The definition of acceptable frame rates is entirely subjective so I will let the numbers talk and then people are free to make their own minds up. :)

masterresults.png

vram.png

Regarding Surround/Eyefinity on one card - in all games I think you can achieve decent enough frame-rates even on one card although I haven't got time to test this. You will need to drop to medium/low settings though depending on the game.

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer. I haven't really got much more time to benchmark any more games. It takes a massive amount of time to do it properly as you really need to run each one a few times to even out any obvious anomalies.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice Rusty. Some demanding games pushing both 680's to the max. I am quite forgiving in terms of acceptable frame rates and find I would rather turn down settings to maintain above 60 than have all the bells and whistles. I guess it helps playing games across 3 screens though.

Good work and a usefull bench :)

Soldato
OP
Before I get shouted at regarding BF3 dodgy results it was a Single Player bench. There's no way to consistently bench MP but VRAM usage in full Ultra is a touch over 2000MB and without HBAO and MSAA it's around 1500-1600MB.

Associate
Am i correct in saying playing at that resolution with all them screens is massively more demanding than playing one screen at lets saying 1920x1080 resolution?

Soldato
OP
Am i correct in saying playing at that resolution with all them screens is massively more demanding than playing one screen at lets saying 1920x1080 resolution?

Yes it is. Not disproportionately or anything but you're effectively rendering 3 times that resolution and with the demanding things like SSAO/HBAO and MSAA included as well it can really cripple performance without the necessary GPU horse power to back it up.

Soldato
OP
Cheers :).

I think that if any multi-screen 7970/7950 users wanna run anything similar that would be good. I would expect that AMD lose less moving from single to multi screen but no idea how they hold up on today's drivers.

Caporegime

I think that if any multi-screen 7970/7950 users wanna run anything similar that would be good. I would expect that AMD lose less moving from single to multi screen but no idea how they hold up on today's drivers.

I also would love to see some comparisons between Nvidia and AMD. Not for bragging rights put purely to see how well both setups cope.

Soldato

A Single HD7970 performs pretty much identically to a single GTX680 / Custom GTX670 at Triple screen resolutions (Either stock or overclocked to similar levels). Beyond benchmarking you simply wouldn't be able to tell which card was in the system when actually gaming (beyond games that massively favour one card over the other).

Keeping to a single GPU card there isn't really anywhere to go once you are at GTX680/HD7970 levels. The only option would be to keep trying out different cards until you get a "golden" overclocker, eg; 1300Mhz core HD7970 or 1400Mhz+ GTX680/670.

Soldato
OP
A Single HD7970 performs pretty much identically to a single GTX680 / Custom GTX670 at Triple screen resolutions (Either stock or overclocked to similar levels). Beyond benchmarking you simply wouldn't be able to tell which card was in the system when actually gaming (beyond games that massively favour one card over the other).

Yeah - I agree completely.

It would just be nice for comparative purposes only to have some figures to quantify the difference if any.

Vir

Vir

Associate
I'd like to see this test with 2x 680 4GB.

I thought these games look at the amount of vram available and them map as much as they need and can, so basically you won't go over 2gb if you have a 2gb card?

PS. I'm not trying to start a flame war or be rude! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd like to see this test with 2x 680 4GB.

I thought these games look at the amount of vram available and them map as much as they need and can, so basically you won't go over 2gb if you have a 2gb card?

PS. I'm not trying to start a flame war or be rude! :)

Nah you can run out of VRAM if you want to - if I play Metro 2033 or BF3 in Multiplayer maxed out with Windows Aero on I will run eventually out of VRAM.

The point is not that you won't run out of VRAM it's just you're going to be lowering settings from maximum anyway with 'only' two heavily clocked 680's and as such lowering the amount of VRAM you need. You need 3 of this generations top-end GPU's have the GPU power necessary to run out of VRAM in a 'real' max settings scenario.

As you can see my results (by comparing performance to VRAM) I wasn't affected by VRAM related slowdowns at any point which would be crash to desktop or single digit minimums.

Whyscotty tested 2*4GB and he had worse performance compared to 2*2GB due to slacker memory timings on the VRAM (probably).

Hope that helps!

Vir

Vir

Associate
Nah you can run out of VRAM if you want to - if I play Metro 2033 or BF3 in Multiplayer maxed out with Windows Aero on I will run eventually out of VRAM.

The point is not that you won't run out of VRAM it's just you're going to be lowering settings from maximum anyway with 'only' two heavily clocked 680's and as such lowering the amount of VRAM you need. You need 3 of this generations top-end GPU's have the GPU power necessary to run out of VRAM in a 'real' max settings scenario.

As you can see my results (by comparing performance to VRAM) I wasn't affected by VRAM related slowdowns at any point which would be crash to desktop or single digit minimums.

Whyscotty tested 2*4GB and he had worse performance compared to 2*2GB due to slacker memory timings on the VRAM (probably).

Hope that helps!
Okay thank you for clarifying mate! Hmm I might get two 670's :D

Back
Top Bottom