open hardware monitor rogue temp

Associate
Hi all. i have 2 identical machines, both rampage gene with 3930k, oc'ed to 4.4, with corsair H80's
both running at 1.28v. (xmp profile in bios, then multiplier and vcore adjusted manually.)

in open HW monitor the cpu temp is reported correctly, however below that reading is another. on the old version of OHWM it was listed as CPU temp as well. on the latest version its simply listed as "temperature #1"

on one machine it reads a steady 60-75 degrees from bootup.

on the other, even after a fresh startup after being off for 12 hours, i get instantly readings of well over 100 degrees! its averaging between 107 and 115 degrees, at idle. OUCH.

ive tried mounting a small fan pointing at the heatsinks in the VRM area, but it made no difference.

basically i cannot find out what this temp is even referring to, but im sure if it stays that hot at idle, whatever it is will likely die soon.

i cant find a temp like this reported anywhere in the asus software or realtemp.

strangely, ive had this issue with 2 motherboards. the first was RMA'ed after a lightning strike blew the ethernet port. the new (same model) one has the same stupid temp readings.

what gives?

Associate
As the author of the Open Hardware Monitor I say ignore it. This is just another temperature measuring channel, but one (except ASUS) doesn't really know if anything useful is connected to it. From your reading I would guess there isn't connected any real sensor to it.

Maybe save a report (File -> Save Report) with your two mainboards and attach them to a new Issue here:

http://code.google.com/p/open-hardware-monitor/issues/list

So I can make that channel at least hidden by default (or remove it completely).

Back
Top Bottom