New computer won't go to bios when GFX card is in and powered

Soldato
PC Spec:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £154.16
MSI HD 7850 Twin Frozr III OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Cards
Samsung S24B300HL 23.6" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
OCZ ZT 550W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply
Toshiba (7K1000.D) 500GB SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache - OEM (DT01ACA050)
Xigmatek Pantheon Mid Tower Case - Black
GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

When I power the PC it won't go to the bios if the GFX card is being powered. Doesn't matter if any monitor cables are connected or not. I have to remove the power cable from the GFX card before it will boot.

So I can get to the bios via the motherboard on-board GFX. I checked the settings and tried disabling on-board graphics, hoping this was overriding the GFX card but then I was unable to get to bios at all. Had to clear CMOS and then start again. I have tried both HDMI and DVI on the GFX port.

Currently installing Win 7 using the on-board graphics and then will try installing the graphics drivers once in. Worried though because obviously I cannot even get to a bios screen when the GFX card is powered currently.

Sorry for the rambling post been troubleshooting for ages :)

Soldato
If its a new gfx card would you be able to try in another computer?
Did you build yourself?
Are all power cables inserted correctly for motherboard?
Does your mobo have another pci-e lane you can try it in?
Also have you removed card and reseated?

If you are able to try in another pc and it gives the same problem, you have your answer.

Soldato
OP
If its a new gfx card would you be able to try in another computer?
Did you build yourself?
Are all power cables inserted correctly for motherboard?
Does your mobo have another pci-e lane you can try it in?
Also have you removed card and reseated?

If you are able to try in another pc and it gives the same problem, you have your answer.

Tried GFX Card in old PC, works with no problems.

Tried disabling onboard Graphics on the new system and setting first load option to the PCI Express slot. Still nothing on boot. Won't even show bios. (Also tried the secondary PCIe slot.

Posting this message from the new PC, onboard graphics etc all working fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would check the Pcie lanes are working, by trying another card. At least, this would rule out any fault with the lanes, if an alternative card works.

Associate
Crikey this sounds fimiliar!

Only a couple of days ago I was building a near identical computer:

i5 3570k 3.4ghz
MSI HD 7850
Gigabyte z77-d3h motherboard
8gb ram
256gb 830 SSD
2TB Hd
Dell monitor

Anyway, when it came to booting up with the gfx card with the 4 pin power supply plugged in, I'd just get the fans moving and lights on the ram. The screen would show no signal...

Removing the gfx card power cable and attaching to the onboard graphics worked fine, which is how I installed win7 on the SSD.

I overcame the problem by:

Installing @BIOS from the motherboard cd;
Downloading the most recent bios (F8) update from the gigabyte website and extracting to desktop:
http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4147&dl=1#dl
In @BIOS, open from file and located extracted update;
Leave to install, and reboot.

If you have an ssd as boot, remember that it'll default the settings back to IDE from AHCI.
Oh and my version of motherboard is 1.0...

.....plugged 7850 power cord and monitor cable back in thankfully it worked!

Associate
These boards seriously need sorting out, I have a dodgy one too that I RMA'd and apparently it passed the test, so it was sent back and still has the same issue :rolleyes:

I would check the PCI-e lanes are all working correctly, as my issue is my new GFX card AND my GFX card from my other PC both boot perfectly from DVi and HDMI ports, using the onboard AND the x4 PCI-e lane, however neither card will boot using the x16 PCi-e lane, in DVi or HDMI.......I was advised to test my other hardware....all of which I bought at same time from OCUK, I can't afford to keep chucking approx. £20 a pop at RMA'ing different things, so I am stuck at running my brand new build in x4 lane :mad:

Hope you get better service than me if you RMA it. As no one even bothered to reply to me in customer support section :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom