Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Hardware > Graphics Cards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26th Oct 2012, 21:57   #1
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
7950 Temps When 1100 core

Hello guys what temps you running when gaming? My card is hitting 75C with a fan speed 80% this on manually fan speed. Would setting a custom fan profile reduce Temps?
Am a little worried with theses temps lol this playing War-z and also Sleeping Dogs and Crysis 2 theses games send my Temps high.
Playing Bf3 I hit 70C most times.

1100/1500@1.131v

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/6041/1temp.gif
http://imageshack.us/a/img818/2269/2temp.gif

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 22:04   #2
tommybhoy
Capodecina
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Under The Stairs!
Posts: 10,525
Your fan is running at 20% in the pics you posted, what are you using to set fan speeds?


-tommybhoy-
tommybhoy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 22:11   #3
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybhoy View Post
Your fan is running at 20% in the pics you posted, what are you using to set fan speeds?
That was out of game. I forgot to click to show max on speed. I have the fan set to auto ATM.
Am wondering if you setup a manual fan speed with Afterburner would it drop temps down?

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 22:15   #4
AMDMatt
AMD Rep
 
AMDMatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Norwich, UK.
Posts: 29,221
Your temps look fine to me.

AMDMatt is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 22:18   #5
borley
Wise Guy
 
borley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chelmsford,Essex,UK
Posts: 1,443
On my 7970 @ 1200core/1650 mem 1.212v I hit low 60sC that using Afterburners stock fan, but my card is the windforce with 3 fans so pretty well cooled anyway. Long as you steer clear of the crap auto that seems to be on 33% all the time you should be fine.

i7 3930k @ 4.4Ghz Cpu | MSI 290X Gaming Edition @ 1030/1250Gpu | GB X79-UD3 Mobo | Samsung 16GB 1600mhz Ram | M4 Crucial 256GB SSD | Samsung 1TB HDD | Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD Writer | Corsair MX850 PSU
borley is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 22:25   #6
tommybhoy
Capodecina
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Under The Stairs!
Posts: 10,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
That was out of game. I forgot to click to show max on speed. I have the fan set to auto ATM.
Doesn't matter, it should still be spinning faster than 20%@75c until the temps reduced, leading me to believe your fans not spinning up properly.

Unless of course you can hear the fan ramp up, as after 60c, it should be a pretty audible ramp up at least.

75c isn't a matter of concern either as Matt pointed out, but get Afterburner and use the OSD to show temps and fan speed in game, or log with GPU-z to make sure.


-tommybhoy-
tommybhoy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 22:59   #7
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybhoy View Post
Doesn't matter, it should still be spinning faster than 20%@75c until the temps reduced, leading me to believe your fans not spinning up properly.

Unless of course you can hear the fan ramp up, as after 60c, it should be a pretty audible ramp up at least.

75c isn't a matter of concern either as Matt pointed out, but get Afterburner and use the OSD to show temps and fan speed in game, or log with GPU-z to make sure.
You reading it wrong mate. Am showing Max temp on them images, the card had already spined down.
Thats why you seeing 20% temps now are 28C idle.

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:01   #8
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by borley View Post
On my 7970 @ 1200core/1650 mem 1.212v I hit low 60sC that using Afterburners stock fan, but my card is the windforce with 3 fans so pretty well cooled anyway. Long as you steer clear of the crap auto that seems to be on 33% all the time you should be fine.
Could you post image of Afterburner fan profile please.

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:03   #9
Tonester0011
Soldato
 
Tonester0011's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,586
Shouldn't worry too much, 75c isn't that hot.
You could always set a custom fan curve, 80% fan speed must do your nut in though?
Tonester0011 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:09   #10
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester0011 View Post
Shouldn't worry too much, 75c isn't that hot.
You could always set a custom fan curve, 80% fan speed must do your nut in though?
I have headphones on but yes I dont like it even tho I can't hear it when gaming. Take headphones of and PC sounds like its about to take of lol.

Am new to setting a fan speed and am not sure what I should use My card is a Xfx HD 7950 Double dissipation.
Am worried if I setup a fan speed it will send temps much higher.

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:12   #11
tommybhoy
Capodecina
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Under The Stairs!
Posts: 10,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
You reading it wrong mate. Am showing Max temp on them images, the card had already spined down.
Thats why you seeing 20% temps now are 28C idle.
Lol, that's what I get for reading the forum sitting on the couch using the TV, instead of the monitor.


-tommybhoy-
tommybhoy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:13   #12
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Is the stock AB fan profile any better than Auto?

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:13   #13
dave_beast
Soldato
 
dave_beast's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: London
Posts: 5,237
The XFX DD cooling has never been rated that good tbh, and in a few reviews of the 7970, the DD version was found to have poorer cooling ability than the stock reference cooler. I would invest in a Arctic Cooling Accelero unless you mind having the sound of a jet engine in your case everytime you game

dave_beast is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:20   #14
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_beast View Post
The XFX DD cooling has never been rated that good tbh, and in a few reviews of the 7970, the DD version was found to have poorer cooling ability than the stock reference cooler. I would invest in a Arctic Cooling Accelero unless you mind having the sound of a jet engine in your case everytime you game
I though theses cards ment to have one of the best cooling designs. Are they hard to install? Take it you loose the warranty?

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:24   #15
Tonester0011
Soldato
 
Tonester0011's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
I have headphones on but yes I dont like it even tho I can't hear it when gaming. Take headphones of and PC sounds like its about to take of lol.

Am new to setting a fan speed and am not sure what I should use My card is a Xfx HD 7950 Double dissipation.
Am worried if I setup a fan speed it will send temps much higher.
Just set up a 1:1 curve.
Tonester0011 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:26   #16
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester0011 View Post
Just set up a 1:1 curve.
I dont understand sorry

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:40   #17
Tonester0011
Soldato
 
Tonester0011's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
I dont understand sorry
10% @10c
20% @20c
30% @30c
....
....
....
....
....
90% @90c
100% @100c.

Just adjust your idle temps to a more comfortable fan speed.
Like 20% up to 40c. Like you said, you don't really notice the fans whilst gaming thanks to your headset.
Tonester0011 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:40   #18
tommybhoy
Capodecina
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Under The Stairs!
Posts: 10,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
Are they hard to install?
Not really, if you use thermal tape, it will take up to an hour if you want the heatsinks to stick on properly.

If you use the included glue, you need to leave it to set overnight.

But, if the DD has a separate cooling plate for the vram/vrm's, then it will only take about 10 mins tops as you just need to screw the AC heatsink on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
Take it you loose the warranty?
With XFX, yes, so you would just use the glue.


-tommybhoy-
Last edited by tommybhoy; 26th Oct 2012 at 23:43.
tommybhoy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:50   #19
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester0011 View Post
10% @10c
20% @20c
30% @30c
....
....
....
....
....
90% @90c
100% @100c.

Just adjust your idle temps to a more comfortable fan speed.
Like 20% up to 40c. Like you said, you don't really notice the fans whilst gaming thanks to your headset.
Thanks now you put it that way 1-1 makes sense haaa

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 23:51   #20
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybhoy View Post
Not really, if you use thermal tape, it will take up to an hour if you want the heatsinks to stick on properly.

If you use the included glue, you need to leave it to set overnight.

But, if the DD has a separate cooling plate for the vram/vrm's, then it will only take about 10 mins tops as you just need to screw the AC heatsink on.



With XFX, yes, so you would just use the glue.
Thanks dont think I really want to be doing that. But might look up some youtube vids, review on installing and I maybe try it.

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 00:06   #21
Uncle Petey
Capodecina
 
Uncle Petey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: London
Posts: 12,779
Instead of the glue, you can just spread a bit of TIM on the heatsinks and put a tiny dab of superglue in two corners. Works a treat and comes off easy.

Btw, your temps are about normal for a non-ref cooler at those clocks.

Uncle Petey is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 08:31   #22
Devrij
Capodecina
 
Devrij's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Slaithwaite
Posts: 11,436
That's why I left my card at 1000 and stock volts. It was just too noisy and wasn't worth it for me. This way I get a nice little increase without the crazy temps and noise

Devrij is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 09:37   #23
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
Yer i might go back to my last Oc 1005/1500 that was with a tiny touch on the voltage.
But if i remember even at this oc temps still went into 70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrij View Post
That's why I left my card at 1000 and stock volts. It was just too noisy and wasn't worth it for me. This way I get a nice little increase without the crazy temps and noise

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 10:10   #24
Dude
Gangster
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 348
1100/1650 1.185v temps under 60c (gaming) , fans running @ 60% with Windforce 7950.
Dude is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 10:30   #25
Gregster
Caporegime
 
Gregster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Essex innit!
Posts: 34,043
You could always get it under water and only hear the faint sound of fans and a pump spinning no matter what game you are playing

Gregster is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 10:32   #26
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
What's games tho? I have couple games like fifa 13 witch my temps never pass 58c


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
1100/1650 1.185v temps under 60c (gaming) , fans running @ 60% with Windforce 7950.

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 10:34   #27
MAK360
Gangster
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester0011 View Post
10% @10c
20% @20c
30% @30c
....
....
....
....
....
90% @70c
100% @75c.
1:1 is fine in lower temps but I would set it to "around" 100% when its reaching 75c+
MAK360 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 12:06   #28
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 14,622
So do you think it's best left on auto fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK360 View Post
1:1 is fine in lower temps but I would set it to "around" 100% when its reaching 75c+

shankly1985 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 12:23   #29
borley
Wise Guy
 
borley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chelmsford,Essex,UK
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
So do you think it's best left on auto fan?
Don't use the stock auto fan that starts at 33% it's rubbish use the Afterburner stock fan profile which is a lot better, soon as you change from auto to the stock you will see it jump from 33% to 40%+ on idle .

i7 3930k @ 4.4Ghz Cpu | MSI 290X Gaming Edition @ 1030/1250Gpu | GB X79-UD3 Mobo | Samsung 16GB 1600mhz Ram | M4 Crucial 256GB SSD | Samsung 1TB HDD | Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD Writer | Corsair MX850 PSU
borley is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 12:42   #30
Dude
Gangster
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
What's games tho? I have couple games like fifa 13 witch my temps never pass 58c
Fair comment , seettings can make a big difference in temps.
Just ran FurMark burn in test 55c(room 18c).
Dude is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:17.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Overclockers UK (Ocuk Ltd)