DX11.1 not coming to Win 7

Soldato
That's a bit bad. Hardly like XP not getting DX10, as that was a few years out of date at the time already. Windows 7 is still very current, MS clearly want to phase it out as soon as they can.

Soldato
No reason for them not to support it other than a Creative Labs style feature restriction, due to trying to increase W8 sales. It's an incremental update, not a completely different model.

Daft buggers IMHO... I suspect there may be a little bit of a back lash.. especially if W8 is not widely adopted.

Man of Honour
Ridiculous arbitrary restriction I suspect most developers will see sense and not use it for games, etc. tho as they wouldn't want to narrow their target audience and I can see a lot of people not moving on from Windows 7 for awhile. MS seem to be progressively losing the plot.

Soldato
As if they didnt mess it all up with Windows Vista and direct x10 enough and stop developers from using it. They have to keep making the same mistakes again and again.

Soldato
OP
The problem is a lot of people did upgrade to Win 7 on the back of the DX11 feature. (Albeit a big feature)

Now it sounds like DX 11.1 is so minor that it might as well be insignificant, but it still puts a nag in people minds that they should update to to Win 8.

I Knew Microsoft would do this. They have seen that this tactic works so why not do it again?

They have to differentiate Win 8 from 7 afterall.

Permabanned
MS making OS so crap now they have to use cheap tricks to get people to upgrade. Reducing the price, not supplying dx upgrade what next... lol

Instead of making fancy block interfaces they should focus on improving the sound, printing, graphic, security and so on. Sound and printing has been nothing but problematic since windows xp in my experience and windows 8 does not look much better.

Soldato
MS making OS so crap now they have to use cheap tricks to get people to upgrade. Reducing the price, not supplying dx upgrade what next... lol

Instead of making fancy block interfaces they should focus on improving the sound, printing, graphic, security and so on. Sound and printing has been nothing but problematic since windows xp in my experience and windows 8 does not look much better.

Not true ,Win8 is very good OS IMHO,besides Vista got DX10,Win7 got DX11,Win8 gets DX11.1,so nothing new there.

Btw try reading up on security improvements in Win8 ,I think you find they did quite a bit in that department,sound and printing has been fine for me on every OS from Microsoft ,ie Vista,Win7,Win8 so don't know what you are on about.

Last edited:
Soldato

I bet those problems are all your own doing.

Soldato
Why?

It's hardly a reason to upgrade.

Some people seem to think it is.

New XYZ feature not coming to your OS that is still in mainstream support? I think that reason enough to feel slightly peeved to be honest.

However, I don't think it's a HUGE deal. I'm sure Gabe Newell will use it as ammunition at some point and a few of the easily led gaming crowd will get dramatic about it.

I don't really mind a vendor differentiating on features - if you want it and think it has value, buy it.

Soldato
Microsoft are on cold hard knees. painful, I cant believe what they've done to the PC with Windows 8.
They made a bad mistake, and Bob, thats going to cost

"I don't like" and "They've made a huge mistake that's going to cost them" aren't the same thing. :confused:

If you REALLY can't believe what they've done with Windows 8, I don't believe you've really used or know much about it.

They've replaced the start menu with a start screen, big deal, get over it.

Beneath the big scary evil start screen that people are seemingly struggling to use, is a classic yet advanced Windows that runs faster and has quite a few nice tweaks over 7.

Get over it and stop whinging about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can agree with this even with my driver issues (fixed now) I love how fast windows 8 is.
I dont get the driver flicker on AMD cards no more when using the internet net. My gaming performance has increased abit, plus you still have your windows 7 under what is now a big start menu with lots of customize option.

"I don't like" and "They've made a huge mistake that's going to cost them" aren't the same thing. :confused:

If you REALLY can't believe what they've done with Windows 8, I don't believe you've really used or know much about it.

Beneath the big scary evil start screen that people are seemingly struggling to use, is a classic yet advanced Windows that runs faster and has quite a few nice tweaks over 7.

Associate

spoffle cut the waffle out

Back
Top Bottom