Project Ethos & Cube - Desk Awesomeness

Associate
Project Ethos & Cube - The Baby Grand

So I've been working on a little project (well you could call it little, but its pretty huge ;))

Some background, I have a server rack in my spare room, with a Synology NAS rack mount, and a Gaming PC, with a monitor on top of it.
Now this is OK, but sitting and using a rack as my desk is rubbish so I need a solution.
Also the missus wants the rack out of there, so we can start re-using the spare room :)

My friend is a carpenter, so I will be taking advantage of that in this build...

First things first, designing a desk to fit both a server and a desktop.
The server will be rebuilt and using FreeNAS, and then my gaming machine will be a nice new build.
Motherboard: Asus ROG VIII Hero
GPU: 2x NVIDIA Titan X
SSD Boot: Samsung 256gb 850 Pro
SSD Gaming Drive: Samsung 1tb 850 EVO
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum 3300
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Fan Controller: Lamptron CW611
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Server:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670t Haswell
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
HDD RAID: 5x WD Red 3tb
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 Arctic White Vengeance
PSU: Seasonic Platinum Series 660w
UPS: APC SmartUPS 1500

Watercooling loop:
CPU Block: EK-Supremacy EVO Clean Nickel
Reservoir: 2x EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir
GPU WB: 2x EK-FC Titan X - Nickel
Pumps: EK D5 Vario Pump x2 with 2x EK-XTOP Plexi
Radiators 360: XSPC AX360 Triple Radiator
Radiators 480: XSPC AX480 Quad Radiator
Tubes: Will be making Acrylic Tubing
Fittings: Bitspower Deluxe White fittings

I will be running 3M carbon on the inside and having everything on top of it, eg Mobo.
I am also getting the mobo trays custom made out of perspex and then fitting using standoffs away from the desk.
I will be running LED's under the tray so you get a white glow from under the mobo's.
I will be using White and Blue Sleeving, as this will make a nice contrast to the black 3M Carbon.

The lid of the desk will be made out of toughened glass with a laminate top to stop scratches.
Can find an OCN build log here

http://imgur.com/a/nAqX5

For more completed pics please:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18471358&page=15

Last edited:
Associate
Nice concept! Will there be any cable management build in to this table?

It seems a shame to build something like this and then hide away all your hard work - will any of the surfaces be see-through?

Associate
OP
Sorry yes, forgot to mention the lid, will be toughened perspex or some shatter proof glass.

Also cable management, I need to figure out.
I can run holes under the table and run them under and back up.
Or use like a glue gun and make a feature of the cables, maybe just for the HDD sata cables or something. Will look into that later.

Lastly for got to say I will be covering the inside with 3M cabon so it looks nice inside :)

Associate
OP
I will run a strip of wood around the back edge and up the one side, then the glass can slot into it to give it support and also an edge we can use for a hinge.

That way it will provide a hinge and also more support. The glass will also rest against the rest of the edges all the way around. So hopefully it should be strong enough.
But i'll double check and get advice.

Associate
OP
So I have updated the design a bit, and you can see the finished model with the glass.
savdeskcomplete.png

We started the work yesterday and taken a bunch of pics...
Here is the Gallery so far, enjoy...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7jhm08tsydngmkm/HgQIZAFdXk

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ye the name has me stumped too.
I kinda want it as I can get it laser etched into the perspex mobo trays.
So thought it would look pretty snazzy.

The images of work is still being uploaded so keep checking that link and you will see more when my really slow connection finishes.

Associate
That looks like its coming along amazing!

and so much passion I love it.

How about "Dueling Dragons" for your name seen as its 2 High spec Pc's

Theme wise there's loads you can do with that name like if you water cooled ever one with blue liquid and the other in red! Just a thought

Associate
OP
Looks smart, but two whole computers and only one monitor?

Something seems a bit backwards here.

The PC on the right is going to me my file server.
I currently have a rack mounted Synology nas, but I want to get rid of the rack in my spare room. So building a new windows based server and building it into the desk. Hence that one has 4 drives. The high end gpu and mobo are not correct for this pc. We just used the same as my gaming machine for sizing.

So only one monitor needed as I will Rdp to the server

Associate
Looking at that design, if you push the desk back to a wall then the monitor will not be able to sit at much of an angle?

Why not consider extending the desktop in depth a little and mounting the monitor on an arm at the back of the desk with something like this:

MO-052-OK_59617_350.jpg

Soldato
Nice design and concept :)

Just a couple of thing's,the desk looks like it has been thought through completely but ive seen 2 things that would put me off,the 2x fans on the front and the dvd drive.

Now.the desk look's lovely with the design but it would bug me having the fans and dvd showing on the front,could you put the fans and dvd on the side on the desk.

just chucking some ideas at you :)

Associate
OP
Looking at that design, if you push the desk back to a wall then the monitor will not be able to sit at much of an angle?

Why not consider extending the desktop in depth a little and mounting the monitor on an arm at the back of the desk with something like this:

MO-052-OK_59617_350.jpg

Yes I have considered this, and have thought about it.
I will use the clamp and drill a hole through the wood, behind the glass.
But I will do this after the desk is built so we can see how it all works out.

Also I have the issue of dealing with the Missis who doesnt want an arm, but pifft...

Associate
OP
Nice design and concept :)

Just a couple of thing's,the desk looks like it has been thought through completely but ive seen 2 things that would put me off,the 2x fans on the front and the dvd drive.

Now.the desk look's lovely with the design but it would bug me having the fans and dvd showing on the front,could you put the fans and dvd on the side on the desk.

just chucking some ideas at you :)

Thanks, all the more ideas the better :D
I have thought about this, and not 100% sure what to do about it.
Also the fans will be running low RPM so not noisy at all.
And the desk will be in the room, and not in the corner, so no where else really to put it.

Associate
OP
So im going to order some sleeving once a certain other shop re-opens in January.
But im going to need longer fan cables, as I will be running them to the front where I will have a fan controller.
If I cut the fan cables, and run them longer what kind of wire do I need to soldier onto it to extend my length?
I would say I need fan extension wire, and also PSU extensions for SATA and other bits. Is there a certain wire that I should order?
Or one that is the best?

Back
Top Bottom