Project turtle blite

Permabanned
Project: Noob (with big ideas)

So I just got my corsair 600t so I think it's time I started posting what the project is about.

I've never liquid cooled a PC before, I've built some from scratch, but never liquid cooled so I think it's about time I tried.

Please note that this is going to be a long lasting project and that I will be buying about £500 of goods per month so it will take a good few months before everything is purchased.

Research:
RAM: bit-tech
Fan round up 1: toms hardware
Fan round up 2: Xbit 140mm
Fan round up 3: Xbit 120mm
Fan round up 3: Hardware.fr
comparison,
difference between pwm/non-pwm fans

Current kit I'm getting:

Miscellaneous Parts
IKEA Table (£46.92) Purchased
chair (£69) Purchased
grommet drill bits (£8) Purchased
a toolbox (£19) Purchased
desk hub (9.23) Purchased
metal cutting tools (£71) Purchased

Peripherals
UK Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 (£95) Purchased
104PBT white side printed keycaps for Keyboard, Filco,Cherry (£54 with delivery) Purchased
G600 MMO Gaming Mouse (£69) Purchased
mouse pad (£2) Purchased
Astro A30 AUDIO SYSTEM (£169) Purchased

Components
Case: Corsair 600T (£139.99) Purchased
side panel (£78) (competitor site) Purchased
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV (£379.99) Purchased
PSU: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX (£249.95) Purchased
CPU: Inter Core i7 (£259.99) Purchased
RAM: X2 Corsair Vengeance RED 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 PC3-14900C10 1866MHz (£299.99) Purchased
SSD: Samsung 120GB SSD 840 EVO (£84.95) Purchased
GPU: X3 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3072MB

Watercooling components
Radiators:
Koolance 3x120mm (£56.99) Purchased
Magicool Hexa Radiator 720mm (£108.90) Purchased

Fans: x9 Corsair Fan, SP120 PWM High Pressure Edition (£25.99) Purchased
Pump: XSPC D5 Vario (Body + Screwring) (£56.99) Purchased
Reservoir + base: EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ - Acetal+Nickel (£59.99) Purchased
CPU Block: EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy - Acetal+Nickel (£51.98) Purchased
mosfet: EK Water Blocks EK-FB KIT RE4 - Acetal+Nickel CSQ (£94.98) Purchased
RAM Block: X2 EK Water Blocks EK-RAM Monarch X4 - Acetal+Nickel CSQ (£34.99) Purchased
RAM Connectors: EK Water Blocks EK-RAM Monarch Module - Black (2pcs) (£19.99)Purchased
Tubing: XSPC HighFlex Hose 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD, 16/10mm, 2m, Clear (£6.49) Purchased
GPU Block: X3 EK Water Blocks FC Titan SE GPU Water Block - Acetal+Nickel

Connectors:
QD3 Female Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Compression for 10mm x 16mm (3/8in x 5/8in) *Black* (£9.51) Purchased
QD3 Male Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Compression for 10mm x 16mm (3/8in x 5/8in) *Black* (£8.38) Purchased
X10 Bitspower Connection 1/4 inch to 16/11mm - Deluxe White (£9.98) Purchased
X2 Bitspower angle 1/4 inch to female 1/4 inch - Deluxe White (£7.99) Purchased
X3 Bitspower 1/4" Thread 7.5mm Extension Socket Deluxe White (£4.49) Purchased
X15 Bitspower G 1/4" Deluxe White Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter (£10.99) Purchased
X10 Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter Mini 1/4 inches - Deluxe White (£5.99) Purchased
X2 G1/4" Deluxe White IG1/4" Extender-40MM (£9.99) (only sold in america now) Purchased
12/10 Clear Acrylic Tube (12mm x 1mm x 500mm) Plastic Plexiglas Perspex Pipe (£7.54) Purchased

Coolant:

Current Total: £3088.88

Note: This article shows using nothing but quick disconnects gives very little flow interruption

I'll do a post for each stage with pictures of progress and any troubles I run into.

below are reserved posts which I will update until the stage is complete, Q&A can then be followed after it :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
1) Table, chair, grommet, drill bits, a toolbox!
White leather chair: £69.99

Table top: £20 table top
x4 Legs: £10 each
desk hub: £9.23
toolbox: £19.99

Circular saw / grommet drill bits

putting the desk together was simple enough.

I decided that as the majority of all things will be in the center of the desk (keyboard, mouse, phone charger) I decided that the whole should be in the centre too.

I measured the centre point of the table (with the tape measure from the toolbox ;) ), the place my keyboard would be placed and where the monitors would eventually go for optimal placement.

I placed the grommet bit over the grommet cover, and chose the size closest to the cover (first mistake of the project).

wp201212270212012122720.jpg

I borrowed my gfs drill and combined with the grommet (circular saw) bits, drilled into the table markings.

now I think the above mistake isn't too big a deal as I will explain in a minute, the issue with having the drill bit bigger than the grommet holder is that even though it's tight together, you are still effectively drilling a hole bigger than your holder, which means the grommet won't fit in **tight**. in my case, it sits on top, but is loose. The grommet holder I purchased has a removable USB hub, which is nice but now if I was to try and pull a cable out, the entire holder goes with it - not very sturdy :p
Not only this but as you can see in the picture below, the table is actually made of cardboard :p I will never buy from Ikea again but lesson learned.

wp201212270262012122720.jpg

now this isn't such a big deal, all I need to do is fasten another grommet underneath and I can attach the 2 with cable ties as the table itself is hollow enough to let me attach 2 cable ties to the holders, locking them in place.

so I've finished this bit, put some stuff on it and now go onto the next step, buying some peripherals!

29686305.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
2) Keyboard, keyboard keys, mouse, mouse pad, astro headphones + amplifier
PpbHfabl.jpg
UK Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, NKR (MX blue): £95
105 PBT Black on white side printed keycaps for Cherry MX: £54 (from ebay china)
Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse: £69
black mouse mat (same dimensions as keyboard): £2
Astro A30 White headphones with mixAmp (MLG Plates): £125

initially I wanted a white keyboard with black keys, this would mean I could use the filco black keys (I love the font).

OhLSw4Sl.jpg

I have searched high and low for a decent ten key-less MX Blue keyboard, initially settling on 2 KBT Race mx browns (one black, one white, and switch the keys) but not only was the PCB spacing the keys too far apart, but the LED under the lights were dim on some lights or not working on others and it didn't feel solid.

So I sent back and bought the filco. If anyone can find a proper white keyboard, pls let me know, I was even considering the thermal take Meka G1 but it looks more gimmicky and bulky than I want for my minimalist design.

another reason for getting a black board with white keys is that the table is (although not designed to be glossy) doesn't do well with the mouse and as a result required a mouse mat. this would mean a white keyboard next to a predominantly black area. so more incentive for the black keyboard. I think it looks nice :)

QXGjax8l.jpg

gBJ4JX6l.jpg

tICGkKCl.jpg

the amplifier is pretty bulky and initially had it next to the grommet hole, but not only do I not touch the dials as audio is correctly set for PS3, having it sitting there means I need both hands to disconnect the headset, as I use the headset for my mobile phone also. So I decided to put it some where more securely. The table leg!

J8Wes7Vl.jpg

this fitted nicely, and as the dial is so chunky, my headset can actually rest on it quite comfortably.

fzEnLXUl.jpg

with the addition of the amplifier, the desk hub, ps3 and tv wires, it's gotten a bit messy.

xW4Ekbtl.jpg

I could get a cable tray to house it all but it still has potential to crossed, so I've made a track for the wires to follow. this means they are out of sight, will never cross and will never fall off.

US4P4L7l.jpg

yes... I used sticky tape, don't hate, this is the pinnicle of my DIY skills... and to think I'm getting a dremel next week! >_<

7lLmp5Bl.jpg

that's it for step 2 and remember, if you do see a white tenkeyless, mx blue keyboard - let me know! :)

ul3mMUKl.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
3) Computer case + side panel, metal cutting tools
Corsair 600T: £129
Acrylic side panel: £79
Dremel 4000: £71

Got the case today delivered to work :)
13635070.jpg

getting the thing home was a nightmare, carrying it from oxford street central london 10 minutes to tube, then a 10 minute walk home was pretty hard on my arms but I prevailed!

wp201212270672012122800.jpg

no cutting tools yet (due some time next week)
side panel is due to be delivered january 2nd

[Pics to come]

will update my plan of action tonight with regards to cutting what, sizes I need for rad(s).
once I have my measurements, I'll make my post for suggestions on the best rads as I am currently unable to find good comparrisons for 2012 kit.

Update

so it looks like I have around 1 inch to play with for a radiator

wp20121228003.jpg

initially I thought I had a bit more but the holding for the fan seems to protrude (sorry for the low light, my phone isn't a very good camera!)

I'm guessing I should make some extra space incase the motherboard goes a little bit higher than I expect, I think I may need to mix up next months purchase as buying a radiator now, leaving it for a month only to find out it's the wrong size might not be a good idea unless I'm sure it will fit :) I'll need to speak with the seller when I buy to see if I can get an exchange or something.

below is the current flow I was thinking of taking, would love it if anyone reading could give me advice on this....

layoutl.png

as you can tell from the above diagram, some hacking is going to be required :) but that's for step 4 :)

1. The front fans bring in cool air to a dual (hopefully triple) rad, I'm unsure if I go push or pull here but have a feeling I'm going to be told I can only pull as the fans need to be on the other side of the case? (again would love advice on this!)

2. I am assuming with the cold air being blown in here, air will also be blown onto the reservoir which in theory should cool it down even more? (am I right in thinking that or would it blow hot air from the rad?)

3. Pump pushes cooled water to the 3 gpus, which then heat the liquid

4. hot liquid goes to treble rad for cooling down before being passed to CPU

5. hot liquid from CPU then goes to intake rad for cooling

I figured this would be the best approach as the hot air will rise out the top of the case while being pushed out

my main questions at the moment is:

the push / pull methods I am able to use as unsure - pushing out the top would mean the rad goes on the top side of the case while the fans are sitting on the inside (I guess if that's possible it would give me more room inside the case)

Answer: I'm pushing Cool air into the case, and pulling cool air out, this will keep the natural flow of the case intact while pulling the rising hot air out of the case

again any advice welcome!

so now I'm waiting on the side panel and dremel.

Update:
Now have the dremel
wp20130102004.jpg

and side panel
wp20130102005.jpg

Getting the locks out of the original side panel was easy, but I was worried when I tried putting them on the new panel and they didn't fit! I was considering taking the panel back but because it was so close to actually fitting, I decided to keep it and peel off the covering of the glass and then..... *POP* They fitted! :D good work who ever made them! I was concerned but no more.

wp20130103002.jpg

now I have 2 panels with windows.... both fit my case very well... so I think I will leave the other panel as a side project once I've completed this ;) but I'll save that little one for the end - but I think you guys will say I shouldn't keep such wizardry on the floor. But for now here is how the other side looks with the window panel.

wp20130103003.jpg

So before I do any cutting, I'm waiting on my motherboard and radiator to test fittings :) and finally moving to stage 4! :D half way there!
in the mean time this is what my desk area will eventually look like :)

wp201212280052012122800.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
4) Motherboard, Watercooling components (1 x3 rad, 1 x6 rad)
Motherboard: £334.99
x1 120x360mm Radiator: £64.00
x1 240x720mm Radiator: £117.00

notes: discussion on push v pull

current idea is to pull cool air in, apparently preserving the "natural air flow" of the case. In the above thread, the op finds pulling results in air gives 10 degrees lower, although there's no evidence to support the claim other users have found pulling yields a better result. Must look into this.

pushing out can be good but when using speeds above 1800rpm the air flow can be disturbed. Apparently this natural flow is important but not seen much coverage on this yet either.

Update
So I'm finally at step 4 the half way mark (and now where serious money is being spent!) Originally, the motherboard was going to be purchased in step 5, but because of concerns with the radiator fitting next to the motherboard, I've decided to get this first and hope that the concerns aren't called for.... Tonight I will install the mobo, check the remaining space to see if it will fit... I can only hope.
The rest of the kit will be purchased at the end of the month as intended so I can check items work after delivery

So I just received the motherboard, the box looks like it's been compromised though...
wp20130103024.jpg

Looks like somebody forgot to add my haribo!
wp20130103026.jpg

Here is the mobo in the case - it's so close I can't say! Note that it is not including the rubber grommets in the measurement!
88705275.jpg

Update 1: I just got the radiator! :D
wp20130104003.jpg

I won't be able to check if it fits until monday :) but better than end of the month!

Update 2: I've cut out the holes in the case, not 100% completed, smoothed and painted, but I'll do this when I fit the magicool radiator. the koolance radiator fits nicely (pics to come) so happy with that.

Update 3: The Magicool radiator has arrived.... Now I'm a lill nervous about this - I've seen people do a treble radiator, I've seen people do a 200/240mm radiator.... so I think it's possible to get the equivelant of 2 treble radiators ;) here are some of my measurements:

Radiator:
frontjpx.jpg

Side by side to frame:
compzl.jpg

how it will fit in (case tilted on back) - note the poking out of side!
topdown.jpg

Width of radiator:
measure1.jpg

width of inside case to edge - note that the glass panel (around 5cm thick) is already installed on one side,and the radiator will go against the plastic frame so the metal frame isn't the boundary we are concerned with... still - it's a tight fit! If it doesn't fit, I have to remove the glass panel, giving me plenty of room to fit it in
measure2.jpg

So rather than cut into 5.25 bay, I've decided to remove the entire enclosure, this will give me more room to play with as well as increase the airflow. I won't ever need these bays, and if I do need to insert a cd, I'll use an external drive, then put it back in a draw to gather dust.

To remove the enclosure, and not mark the case, I'm going to remove these screws holding it together:

screwback.jpg

annoyingly these aren't really screws, as they are welded to the case, I have no idea why Corsair did this because it removes customisation. sure it may stop vibrations but then rubber grommets would do that too :p

welded.jpg

Cutting out last pieces, removing 5.25 bay caddy

update
Ok I took a day off work today so I could get the last bits out of the way, I've not bothered smoothing the metal yet as I have to buy the fans etc (ordering tomorrow).

So as I said in the previous post, the majority of the metal is cut in the top, bar some refinements when I get the fans to check:
topsy.jpg

after checking the dimensions of the inside of the case with the 5.25 caddy, my initial reaction was to cut out a large segment at the back and keep the front of the bays for small hardware tat might need it.... but this just wasn't workable due to the depth of the magicool radiator, it would have required a lot of space for both that AND the fans depth that would be attached to it. I decided to remove it completely.

525bays.jpg

This now frees up a TON of room in the case, I can have the magicool at the front, the fans pulling in air behind it, and a ton of space for harddrives on the floor (note picture is upside down - sorry for poor quality).

upsidedowny.jpg

To remove the bay, there are (what look like) screws welded onto the chassis that look like this from the front:

screwback.jpg

and this from the back:

welded.jpg

At first I thought I could just dremel these off. They are VERY flimsy and any gripping tool can twist it away, but the opposide side stays in. So I took a small screw driver and a hammer and knocked them off. This is quite possibly the best thing to do in this case. the screw is unusable as it was already welded to the case, but knocking it off as such leaves a clean circular hole as you can see at the top of the picture below:

frontpfe.jpg

At this point I was so nervous about the magicool fitting I had to check if it would work:

yeyk.jpg

IT FITS! It fits so tight, that I can turn it on it's side without it screwed in and it won't move! it's that close! The reason why it's so tight is because the glass side panel is 10cm thick compared to the borderline 2cm's of the metal case, all in all I think this has worked out really well :)

The next problem I have to face is fixing the radiator to case. I the problem with the magicool is that it only has fan fittings for 1 side (the metal plate you seen earlier) and as I want the fans on pull instead of push (apparently more effective cooling) this means I have no sure way to fix the radiator onto the case. I'll take photos of this when I work on this problem but for the moment I'm just going to order the rest of the cooling components. My current idea is to drill some holes into the front of the case, or I could use cable ties if that doesn't work out.

update:
finally got my phone back so can start posting pics again. I also got a load of my watercooling from OCUK today, with my mobo blocks coming tomorrow - will update then when I get it installed.

wp20130520011.jpg

Grill I cut out and spray painted :)

wp20130520026.jpg

2nd grill shot

wp20130520047.jpg

the front radiator hinges - note that there is 1 hole because the screw would go into the outer chassis clip and I want to keep that in place. The hinges fit perfectly but this is the only way it can go in and fit. *phew*!

wp20130520050.jpg

close look - I can spray paint the scratches but maybe another time.

wp20130520057.jpg

other side of radiator - the radiator can swing open or closed (good for cleaning) but locks in place when the back panel is attached :)

wp20130520064.jpg

Final look of the case.

tonight I will put the fans on and attach the top radiator and res, tomorrow the motherboard and the motherboard blocks (delivered tomorrow)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
5) Watercooling components (Koolance quick disconnects, tubing, x2 pumps, reservoir, fluid, x9 120mm fans, cpu block, ram block, mobo block)

Update: 27/04/2013
So now the radiator is done, I've ordered the rest of the watercooling components, I've deliberately missed out the connectors, I'll get them in the next batch, I did however buy 2 sample connectors to ensure they connect how I want it to:

listp.png

a few of these items are currently partially or completely out of stock at OCUK, but they let me purchase them so I guess I'll have to wait for them to get all items before they send it out :p hopefully it won't be too long!

Update:
so some more pics today

wp20130521006.jpg

I had to install the fans first which went fine on the front rad, but the top 3 - I had to cut a bit more plastic off as it was a bit too close to the fans and they didn't fit.

wp20130524018.jpg

wp20130524011.jpg

There's a fair bit of wiring behind the panel, so I need to tidy it up as I will probably put the fan controller there...

I have to be wary though as not only do the fan pins not have much wire, forcing the fan controller to be closer than I want, I also have think about the screws that go in for the 2 reservoirs I'm going to be fitting.

In the above picture I suppose I could have the reservoirs either on top of each other, or to the side of each other.... I think I want them on top as gravity will help the top pump push the water, where as the bottom pump will help push the water back up to the main radiator.

This leaves the question as to where does the fan controller go? the wires are not very long (can I get pin extensions? I have no idea.) so my initial reaction would be to put at the back out of sight... or I could make a box. and have it hidden in there (with SSDs?) I have 2 HDD cages I can use, the controller can go in 1 with the SSDs. This would take up a bit of room in the front of the case and I'm a lill concerned about how much clutter it will add (I hate wires and want to keep as little wires on show as possible!
update 26/05/2013
Just ordered the CPU and RAM, I will buy the PSU later in the week and add it to this order:
picd.png

One month on, and I am still waiting on my x2 RAM blocks, the CPU block, my fan controller cooling block, and my x4 ram modules for the RAM blocks :(

There is no ETA on the waterblock for my fan controller.... which worries me and I am told it will take another 2 weeks! for the EK gear, I don't think this is OCUKs fault as the manufacturers shop is also out of stock so I think I have to wait on EK to bring in stock. Trust me to order in a bad time! So frustrating as it is now going to hold me up!
Update: 06/06/2013
I got a delivery today so now I can finally install the following :)

wp20130530005.jpg

putting on the thermal paste on my CPU, I used prolimatech PL-1 as this seemed to give better results than the most... Can you guys tell me if I am supposed to put thermal paste over the hole you see in the top?
[EDIT - Thanks to the guys for telling me I put on too much, I have since removed a lot of the below thermal paste :)]

wp20130530020.jpg

I'm finally putting the blocks :) first time for everything!

wp20130531003.jpg

wp20130531006.jpg

The black thing is my treble rad, the koolance radiator really does fit in well here, and to be honest is my first proper check to see how it fits :)

After I did the CPU block, I did the chipset, and then the north bridge

wp20130531011.jpg

And then final shot with blocks in place

wp20130531010.jpg

I will install the pump/res over the weekend as it will require some drilling into the case again. >:oD

I won't bother putting the ram in yet as I am STILL waiting on the ram blocks and header modules :(

I just got my braiding cable kit today so I will be switching from black to white cables this weekend too :)

End of this month I'll be buying the PSU, rest of my plugs and GPU so it will finally be up and running, but in no way complete! :)
Update 19/06/2013

So over the weekend I braided some of my cables - 5 meters worth, but sadly today is more of a tale of sorrow than... today we say goodbye to 2 fans, Corsair SP120 1 and Corsair SP120 2, their pin cables cut from lack of attention (even when I thought I was being careful.

wp20130601015.jpg

but on a more positive note, the cable feels and looks great, I cheated and bought the cord pre-braided, then simply put it over my existing cable

wp20130601014.jpg

some of the headers were too big to fit through (the Front port connectors for example) so I disconnected them with my new connector tools (also purchased with the braid)

the end result was this

wp20130601028.jpg

must thank cablemodders for making amazing cable braid and think OCUK should seriously think about ordering from them, the braid is thick and can't be seen through, and feels almost like metal braid :) I am very satisfied with it!

Next up I have to install the res/pump combos (x2)

wp20130602017.jpg

as you can see there's a bit of overhang, but the holding plate screws do fit onto the metal and so will hold it in place, but my only problem is that the pump outlet is VERY close to the motherboard, too close for me to be confident in it fitting, so I am going to wait for my parts to arrive so I can check before I start any sort of drilling into the case.

how it will look with both pumps

editedz.png
update 29/07/2013:
ok so this weekend I had time to fit in the 2nd res and pump combo :) they work pretty well, you'll have to excuse the messy cables, I'll sort that out when I have the fittings and loop setup and everything connected. In the mean time here are some photos I took with my phone

3vpl.jpg

xpte.jpg

at2n.jpg

ouee.jpg

The res isn't as tight to the fans as it looks :) lots of space for some fittings there in fact but I am going to put an acrylic tube from the bottom pump to the top pump and then into the rad which will lead to the ram etc
update 15/08/2013:
ok so I got some of the fittings installed, some connections with the crystal link tubing, but as you can see in the photos, one of the tubes isn't long enough, so I'm going to purchase a custom acrylic tube to fit the length, and an even longer acrylic tube to connect the 2 pumps together :) as you can see, 2 of the fittings need to be extended to their proper heights so the tubing can connect but that shouldn't be a problem :)

so current fitting requirement list:
x1 90 degree non-rotation
x4 90 degree rotation (1 for pump, 2 for phobya, 1 for left ram)

I'll get these at the end of the month along with the psu and SSDs, my heat shrink order said it will be with me on september 6th :( (crazy!) so I'm just going to twiddle my thumbs until end of the month :p

qy24.jpg

n2f1.jpg

kvwq.jpg

amku.jpg

y3r2.jpg

kgy.jpg

y6ul.jpg

npum.jpg

cift.jpg

kuur.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
6) PSU, more RAM, SSD, x3 GPU + x3 GPU blocks)

Update: 30/08/2013
So I got my delivery yesterday and spent most of the afternoon / evening installing, braiding and tidying cables (still not happy with it though)

below are some photos, I'll braid the power cables when I get the chance, but for the mean time, I am pretty tired of cable braiding (even though I've not done much compared to most)

I'm quite happy with the current setup, from the back of the case, you can see my (pitiful) attempt at cable tidying and the PVC tube leading to the main rad. When my QDCs arrive, this is where I will cut the tube for easy drainage, no valves required, just disconnect and drain.

I'm glad it's gone around the back, I am going for minimalism so I want as little tube and cables on display as possible. I think once I've got it all working I'm going to take the stickers off the corsair PSU as it is hindering the colour scheme (I don't want red in my case but mobo makers think it's fancy to add colour!?)

once my 3 fittings arrive (2 compression, 1 extender) I can close the loop and start filling... although I may just wait until my quick disconnects arrive as trying to drain this could turn into a nasty piece of work...

anyway - here are some pics :p

ngkn.jpg

st0e.jpg

ok9y.jpg

9co5.jpg

41vl.jpg

uqxw.jpg

bzp4.jpg

2wug.jpg

vh19.jpg

Next up is to buy the graphics cards and water blocks (eek) any suggestions on if I should wait it out until next year? I could buy 1 780 now and then sell it when the new set come out next year?
Update: 17/09/2013

just a small update today

I got my fittings a lill while ago, but I realized that the fitting was 16/10mm but the tube was 16/11mm... this wasn't good as a 1mm gap meant I could pull the tube out with a little force, not good enough! so I made a thread on the forums and someone suggested I use neoprene :) this stuff is pretty good for this usage and quite cheap too, I fitted the tube on the hose and fixed the neoprene over it followed by the compression screw and voilà! it now fits tight, I don't think liquid will get through but only one way to find out :)

I also got the extender to my north bridge block so now the fittings align and I can close that part of the loop. I noticed that the crystaline tubes were too big for it - to the point where it was bending the ram! So I shaved off 5mm and it looks much more snug now.

I also noticed that there is now a kink in my tube on the top pump, so I will need to look at adding a 30/60 degree fitting or just going with more acrylic tube... I do like acrylic...

Here are some more pics, note I fully intend to braid the power cables, but I have no time or money to do that just yet and want to get this running first to test the loop

na5u.jpg

o0k2.jpg

cz7s.jpg

osx2.jpg

mmz9.jpg

iu5y.jpg

That's it for now until end of the month

Update: 04/10/2013
So nice update today,
I managed to borrow a graphics card from my office to get the PC up and running, in that time I tested the loop, connected the components and installed windows 8.

Here is a video of my loop test, it was very clumsy what with it being my first test, what's not in there is that for 1 evening, the mobo was connected to the psu during testing and it wasn't bridged, not only this, but my 2 pump molex connections were reconnected (after braiding) upside down..... So yeah, always test with a bridge (because the pumps won't start with a mobo connection) and if you remove any cables, treble check they are rewired correctly. I even found out I had rewired 2 of my fans incorrectly!

All sorted now though, I used asus's fan xpert for fan control and now the computer is completely silent when idle, initial temps for the cpu was 23 degrees with mobo sitting at 28 degrees Celsius. I clocked the cpu to 4.2 and it raised to 30 degrees max with the mobo sitting at 39 degrees Celsius, fans are still barely audible. I'll do proper overclocking when I get my own graphics card, doing a proper overclock now is pointless with a temporary graphics card and 1 monitor.

Update: 10/10/2013
only got time for one photo today, off to a stag weekend so will get more on monday:

j1iw.jpg

The bottom res seems to have taken most of the bubbles, so I need to fill it a little.

I'll be getting the 780 at the end of the month, think I'll buy some PCI-E covers too as there is way too much red on this motherboard than I want.

Last edited:
Associate
when it comes to the actual computer components, dont buy a motherboard and ram, then wait a month and get a graphics card, then wait a month and buy a monitor

unless you have enough bits of computer laying around so it will work as soon as you get it then wait

in the 4 month space between getting bits the prices will go down, componants move on soooo quick, the computer i built 5 months ago would cost me a fair bit less if i got it now

Permabanned
OP
when it comes to the actual computer components, dont buy a motherboard and ram, then wait a month and get a graphics card, then wait a month and buy a monitor

unless you have enough bits of computer laying around so it will work as soon as you get it then wait

in the 4 month space between getting bits the prices will go down, componants move on soooo quick, the computer i built 5 months ago would cost me a fair bit less if i got it now

yeah, it's why I'm waiting for the very end to buy the actual components. at the same time I need to accept that that's just how the industry is, the 680 has been out for a little while now, and in the coming months I suspect it will come down a bit (if at all), but the main reason to spreading the cost is because it is going to be a very costly machine and this is more of a hobby project than a "this is what I finished with - brb in 5 years" kind of thing, the cooling components I suspect will be around for a long time to come, with just upgrading certain components once in a while.

I don't have any components, so I'm buying in this order so I am at least able to test if the parts work when I purchase them. The current mother board I have in mind supports 64gb of ram, I will be wanting 3 gpus, 3 monitors, a decent cpu..... as I said I can only give £500 a month, 700 at a push, so budget is an issue sadly. And 2 months isn't long for me considering I waited 2 years to upgrade my already 2 year old phone :p

Permabanned
OP
added pics and questions to step 3 :) pls help:

my main questions at the moment is:

1. the push / pull methods I am able to use as unsure - pushing out the top would mean the rad goes on the top side of the case while the fans are sitting on the inside (I guess if that's possible it would give me more room inside the case as more direct cooling)

2. if it's possible for me to push inside the case from the front and if pushing is actually better than pulling for air intake

again any advice welcome!

Soldato
Wouldn't bother with push pull, use the extra room for thicker radiators, if you're doing a little modding to the 600T you should manage a 360 + 200 combo.

Besides that, your entire setup looks sexy!! Wish I was allowed white things :(

Permabanned
OP
Wouldn't bother with push pull, use the extra room for thicker radiators, if you're doing a little modding to the 600T you should manage a 360 + 200 combo.

Besides that, your entire setup looks sexy!! Wish I was allowed white things :(

Hi thanks for the help! yeah I won't be sandwiching the rads, I want 1 set of fans on 1 side of each rad :) wouldn't have room for 2 on each on the top :D but I don't know if I can push in as it means my fan goes on the right of the case... are there screw holes on both sides of the fan? the last set of fans I had - I didn't have to worry about such things :)

with the 200 rad, I am not sure where to go with this, 200 has a larger area, but less fan power on them? (x2 120 fans > 1 200 fan?)

thanks for the comment :D it's just a hollow shell atm but I'll eventually get there! I hope!

Soldato
Depends on the 200mm fan you use, the spectre PRO's are probably the best you can manage at 200mm. That said, if you can get a 240 in the front (may loose bottom 5.25 bay?) then go for it.

Are you using 2 or 3 GPU's? I got a little confused scrolling through.

Thank you for showing me those IKEA table tops too, quite sure this is what I'll be buying though in black.

Permabanned
OP
Depends on the 200mm fan you use, the spectre PRO's are probably the best you can manage at 200mm. That said, if you can get a 240 in the front (may loose bottom 5.25 bay?) then go for it.

Are you using 2 or 3 GPU's? I got a little confused scrolling through.

Thank you for showing me those IKEA table tops too, quite sure this is what I'll be buying though in black.

3 gpus, I read that it should be the equivelant of 1 rad "block" per item if you want decent cooling, so 3 + the cpu should give me 1 spare for ram/mobo

I'm pretty much removing all but 1 5.25 bay for extra air ventilation, as I will never use them (I would rather buy an external drive and then put it away in a draw than damage the aesthetics)... so I am hoping I can fit a triple in there, if not, minor hacking will get me a double rad with no problems :) like the guy I linked in my first post :)

note I am considering cooling mobo + ram so even though they aren't listed in the diagram, it may be something I should consider.

the Ikea table tops are pretty hollow tbh, I don't feel it's very secure, eventually my 3 monitors will be going there which I think may be heavier than my tv and I have a sneaky feeling the table is struggling already.

I got it for the dimensions as it's perfect for my room, but if I had the choice again, I'd probably go for a 160mm office desk for it's strength. If I notice bending, I have a spare leg to stick in the middle back of the table "just in case"

Last edited:
Soldato
Board + ram won't give off a considerable amount of heat - not to the extent of having to add more radiators to compensate it anyhow :)

I just need one to support a 24" monitor, I was going to go all out on something that would hold my ~30KG setup but I think life will be easier and cheaper with it on the floor and doing what you've done by moving some ports up onto the desk :)

Permabanned
OP
ok cool so I can pretty much merge them as "1 rad requirement" :) I'm hoping for some nice low temps so my fans can be kept on low unless under heavy load, my initial concern is that I have 25-30mm to play with so the treble rad on top will be thin and not as effective as a full 60mm rad, so having a full one to compensate for the thinner rad may be required... I guess I'll have to wait and see! :)

yeah, the port hub is pretty good for quick connects, I've not got it connected yet as I don't have a PC to use it with but I'm sure it will help me for quick things when I need to without having to yank out the case. especially when everything is celo taped to the table!

I can give you some shots of the one I used if you like - it disconnects pretty easily from the grommet hole itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom