• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 Asic Quality

Caporegime
Please use this thread to discuss Asic quality and its effect on temps and overclocking.

Post your Asic score as shown in GPU-Z.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2181/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.6.html

The ASIC Quality screenshot can be evoked from GPU-Z's context menu and is individual for each graphics card and GPU. (Right click the GPU-Z Title bar with the software open to show Asic Quality of your card.)

This feature has been developed for Nvidia’s Fermi (GX10x and GF11x) and AMD’s Southern Islands chips (Radeon HD 78xx and HD 79xx) and is supposed to indicate the quality of the specific GPU, in percent, based on electrical leakage data.

The higher this number, the lower voltage the GPU needs to work at the default clock rate and the higher overclocking results you can get with it by increasing its voltage.

According to Alexey Nikolaichuk (the author of RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner), the correlation between voltage and quality is as follows:
ASIC quality < 75% - 1.1750 V;
ASIC quality < 80% - 1.1125 V;
ASIC quality < 85% - 1.0500 V;
ASIC quality < 90% - 1.0250 V;
ASIC quality ≤ 100% - 1.0250 V.

My Asic

3YluQ.jpg

I always believed that high asic 7970's ran cooler, however recently ive heard that low asic 7970's run cooler as there is more leakage so less heat is generated. I'm interested to hear from people who have bought more than one 7970 and have used different asic cards.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Surely the highest asic cards will run the coolest at stock. Due to lower voltage?

Well thats always the theory i understood but then a ocuk user called chipachap (sorry to call you out chips but its true :D) said that actually higher leakage (lower asic) cards run cooler because of the said leakage.

I'll try and get mr chips in to post his two cents!

Caporegime
OP
7970 multi gpu users should be able to confirm one way or the other as Locky has done. I thought it was strange, but im hoping there was method in his madness. I sent him a trust so he will reply as and when he sees the thread.

Surely really low leakage chips will be running cooler though? What about 55-65% asic cards? Thats a lot of leakage!

Soldato
Here mine I never understand what this Asic Quality means.

61963490.png

Caporegime
As long as they don't have XFX cards :p
I've had 3 XFX DD 7950's, all different temperatures, and it's not down to ASIC I assure you :p

For reference, the 7950 currently in my system reads at 85% Asic Quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
62.4% & 70.1% both stock at 1.175v both very very hot runners.

Previous: 62.3% ran cool but custom cooled, also stock voltage of 1.175v

Was also under the impression that lower asic = hot

Caporegime
OP
Could be, but what he said got me thinking. Once you get below 75% all voltage is 1.175, the lower you drop in percent terms the more leakage there is, seeing as voltage doesn't increase past 1.175 then the lower you go surely temps must get lower as a result of more leakege. That's all i can think of. It makes sense in principle at least.

Caporegime
OP
But you're still at 1.175, and doesn't the higher leakage in turn amount to extra heat being given off?

I don't know, but either way his theory (which i presume he got from somewhere) got me thinking. The point is if one gpu is losing more current than another gpu and both are running at the same voltage wouldn't the one losing more current run cooler? :confused::D

Caporegime
Get a bucket.

Fill with a few holes, and then try to fill it to the top and maintain it at the top.
Put more holes in it, maintain it at the top. You'll find it harder.
Put more holes in it, maintain it at the top. You'll find it even harder, having to get more water down quicker.

Wouldn't that be closer to the situation of the card with the most leakage?

Caporegime
OP
Get a bucket.

Fill with a few holes, and then try to fill it to the top and maintain it at the top.
Put more holes in it, maintain it at the top.
Put more holes in it, maintain it at the top.

Wouldn't that be closer to the situation of the card with the most leakage?

I've had too much wine to think this through, i shall retire to my quarters and think about your strange bucket analogy. :D

Soldato
Ref PowerColor HD 7970 with ghz bios, ASIC 68.4%, clocks to 1300/1800mhz at 1.3v, daily driver at 1200/1650mhz. On air I used to run at 1150/1650mhz and it used to go to 75ºc in games, now under water it averages 43ºc at 1200/1650mhz at stock volts (0.85/1.218v)

Back
Top Bottom