Sky Updated Epg

Soldato
About time, it's rather bizarre that they had functionality to control the box from your phone long before having something as simple as audio over HDMI.

Don
At last we have Dolby D over HDMI and a new Eco mode

To clarify this is now Dolby Digital 5.1 - HDMI always supported DD only in 2.0 format :)

Glad my DRX780 started overheating now... replacing it with a DRX890 which will get the update probably months before the old 780 does.

Interested in seeing how well the ECO Mode works - be nice to actually have the box power down, not to save energy, but to allow it time to actually cool down.

Soldato
To clarify this is now Dolby Digital 5.1 - HDMI always supported DD only in 2.0 format :)

Glad my DRX780 started overheating now... replacing it with a DRX890 which will get the update probably months before the old 780 does.

Interested in seeing how well the ECO Mode works - be nice to actually have the box power down, not to save energy, but to allow it time to actually cool down.

They've all got fans in them, if they get too hot I assume it'll turn on. Never noticed the one in mine running though, most of the heat comes from the HDD I imagine.

If you don't use the feature, it's worth turning Showcase off too. I suppose if you've got access to all the channels it's useful, but most of the time it seems to only have downloaded stuff I can't watch anyway.

Associate
OP

Yes correct on all fronts :)

Associate
I had the update Monday night but didn't realise the 5.1 over hdmi was working until reading this thread :)
After spending about half an hour trying to remember how to reassign my inputs so my amp wasn't using the optical its all working :)

Don
They've all got fans in them, if they get too hot I assume it'll turn on. Never noticed the one in mine running though, most of the heat comes from the HDD I imagine.

The fans in mine are never audible - so certainly not running at the speed at 40mm fan needs to run to push a decent amount of air. The box is too hot, as have been getting "please check viewing card inserted" messages, and the viewing card is noticably discolored.

Having had the box apart and cleaned the dust out, it is slightly better, but rather than pay sky a £65 call out to likely get a refurb of what I have, have got the newer DRX890 of ebay for £35.

V F

V F

Soldato

So you need one of those fancy big £300 - £900 decoders for this?

I'm always amazed how the DRX890 is updated first before the DRX895.

Yes, thats what the Sky representatives say. I've never had that problem myself. Anytime I check the fan it's always off. That and the fact I have my boxes standing vertical. Plenty ventilation around the boxes.

Having had the box apart and cleaned the dust out, it is slightly better, but rather than pay sky a £65 call out to likely get a refurb of what I have, have got the newer DRX890 of ebay for £35.

The DRX890 is a very cool box. I barely feel any heat on any area. That and the fan never starts. Only the DRX895 runs a little bit warmer around the side vent. It's fan never comes on either since they're not warm enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's nice to dream. :p

I was surprised the USB ports aren't even powered at the moment, I had a neat idea of connecting USB-powered LED strips to each of my devices so they'd illuminate whenever said device is turned on, but the Sky box and Xbox ruined that idea; the Sky box's ports aren't powered, and the Xbox's ports are powered all the time even when it's 'off'. Oh well.

Associate
OP
I'm amazed how the DRX895 still hasn't been updated. It being the fancy looking box.

It does seem to be a mixed bag of old and newer boxes (890 & 895) getting the update early on.

Got the update on my box (890) on the first night, i was surprised as i'm normally one of the last to get any updated EPG.

Back
Top Bottom