Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2013, 15:21   #571
The__Malteser
Soldato

The__Malteser is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 15:27   #572
Robert1986
Capodecina

Those with or without stats are always misleading.

2011-2012
Arsenal with RVP - GF 74

2012-2013
Arsenal without RVP - GF 71 (with one game to play)
Robert1986 is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 16:11   #573
fez
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1986 View Post
Those with or without stats are always misleading.

2011-2012
Arsenal with RVP - GF 74

2012-2013
Arsenal without RVP - GF 71 (with one game to play)
I think you mean irrelevant. Any side without their main striker is unlikely to do as well as when they have him start. Who knows whether another striker wouldn't have contributed more in his position. He is first choice and starts all games if he can so what about the ones that get maybe 10 starts in a season and don't play for weeks on end.

Its just another stupid metric to support people views as if they were something more than opinion.
fez is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 17:09   #574
Rich_L
Capodecina

For only turning up in 3 games this season, 21 goals is a pretty good return for Walcott tbh, imagine if he turned up in 5 or 6!

Rich_L is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 17:34   #575
Caseh
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_L View Post
For only turning up in 3 games this season, 21 goals is a pretty good return for Walcott tbh, imagine if he turned up in 5 or 6!

Caseh is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 18:20   #576
The Running Man
Caporegime

Rumours of Gaitan to UTD with Leverkusen also sniffing around surfacing on the BBC now.

Please read the FAQ regarding signatures
The Running Man is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 19:11   #577
carlazai
Mobster

Gaitan has been spoken about before, will be interesting to see what changes Moyes actually makes in players brought in rather than legacy targets that were previous windows. Can imagine there are a few players he really liked as everton manager and never had the funds, bit like me without the Euromillions jackpot......

carlazai is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 19:14   #578
K1LLSW1TCH
Caporegime

Not sure where the Podolski rumours came from but it just sounds like a load of rubbish to me, he's been with us for one season and has had a pretty successful initial campaign, not really sure why he'd want to leave save for wanting to play through the middle more in which case he'll have to share with Giroud. It's a bit frustrating to see Podolski taken off in the 70th minute or sat on the bench, but 11 goals and 9 assists in his first season isn't a bad return at all.

I'm liking the partnership of Koscielny and Mertesacker, they seem to have forged a solid working relationship and Koscielny has the pace to make up for any positional mistakes made by Mert. I know a lot of people aren't big fans of Mertesacker and I can see why but he has improved recently and that partnership seems to be pretty decent, we have the second best defence in the league on goals against and a large part of that has been down to those two players. Apparently Mertesacker and Koscielny are unbeaten in 17 starts together and haven't conceded more than one goal since November, that's not bad.

We need to look at another CB though, Vermaelen has been incredibly error prone this season and he seems to favour forward forays instead of responsible defending. He had an awesome first season but has appeared to fall down the wayside since then, I wouldn't mind someone with a bit of steel about them, doesn't have to be anybody amazeballs, just a solid backup CB or someone able to put some competition into the backline as right now Vermaelen looks spent.

We could really do with a midfielder who can defend as well, I like Coquelin but he has hardly had a chance to play in the role, Arteta is decent enough at keeping the ball and playing it safe but it feels like a massive waste of his passing range when his main job is to play a 10 yard ball to a defender or another midfielder.

i5 6600K // Reference GTX 1070 // 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000MHz // MSI Z170I
K1LLSW1TCH is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 19:19   #579
HangTime
Man of Honour

On the flipside there is always the danger that he'll be like the proverbial kid in a sweet shop, and start throwing money around on tat just because he can. Alternatively he could be used to paying Everton fees, so when the +50% tag for MU is quoted to him he won't be happy with the valuations selling clubs put on a player.

...and so it begins.
HangTime is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 19:33   #580
The Running Man
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlazai View Post
Gaitan has been spoken about before, will be interesting to see what changes Moyes actually makes in players brought in rather than legacy targets that were previous windows. Can imagine there are a few players he really liked as everton manager and never had the funds, bit like me without the Euromillions jackpot......
It was rumoured a couple of years ago. I wasn't a fan then but he does seem to be a decent player now.

Old 17th May 2013, 19:52   #581
carlazai
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangTime View Post
On the flipside there is always the danger that he'll be like the proverbial kid in a sweet shop, and start throwing money around on tat just because he can. Alternatively he could be used to paying Everton fees, so when the +50% tag for MU is quoted to him he won't be happy with the valuations selling clubs put on a player.
He is scottish, land of the 10W lightbulb

Old 17th May 2013, 20:07   #582
Yas786
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_L View Post
PMSL

Yas786 is offline   View trust for
Old 17th May 2013, 22:59   #583
Bucket
Soldato

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Fe...situation.aspx

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson insists David Moyes will address the situation regarding Wayne Rooney’s future.

Sir Alex confirmed after Sunday’s match against Swansea that the striker has asked leave to the club and he says it’s a matter that will now be dealt with by the new manager.

“I haven’t spoken to David about it. I’m sure he’ll address it when he gets here,” said the Scot.

“I’ve no idea [why Wayne wants to leave]. It’s not my department. I’m no longer interested in that.

“David is going to deal with that and he quite rightly wants to deal with it. I’m happy with that.”
Time for this to rumble on for quite some time with endless speculation and debates on here on if he's **** or not.

Bloody transfer window.

Bucket is offline   View trust for
Old 18th May 2013, 09:13   #584
The Running Man
Caporegime

Just sell him. Jesus its not a hard situation to deal with at all.

Old 18th May 2013, 09:28   #585
Stewy
Capodecina

...to who?

Sort your sig, goon.
Stewy is offline   View trust for
Old 18th May 2013, 10:48   #586
carlazai
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Running Man View Post
Just sell him. Jesus its not a hard situation to deal with at all.
Its the 250k a week he wants. Even Chelsea would baulk at that number, only PSG would be desperate enough to pay those wages but with Ibra and Rooney the rest of the team would need to go onto minimum wage +zero hour contracts to Financial fair play.

Old 18th May 2013, 11:02   #587
fez
Sgarrista

I thought part of the issue in France was their absolutely mad tax rate for high earners.
fez is offline   View trust for
Old 18th May 2013, 11:27   #588
Yas786
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
...to who?
Arsenal please but we wont be able to afford his extortionate wages sadly.

Yas786 is offline   View trust for
Old 18th May 2013, 11:32   #589
Moses
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlazai View Post
Its the 250k a week he wants. Even Chelsea would baulk at that number, only PSG would be desperate enough to pay those wages but with Ibra and Rooney the rest of the team would need to go onto minimum wage +zero hour contracts to Financial fair play.
Just as an example. He could go somewhere and get paid ~£150k/week, then have the other £100k/week topped up by Manyoo for the time remaining on his contract with them... that money essentially coming from the transfer fee paid by the buying club to Manyoo (so, £10m of any fee would cover that £100k/week for the two years Manyoo may have to top up his wages for).

So, x club buys him for £40m, then pays him £150k/week. Manyoo receive that £40m, but only keep £30m, after giving £10m to Rooney.
Moses is offline   View trust for
Old 18th May 2013, 11:35   #590
drunkenmaster
Caporegime

250k a week is a lot but he's only got that for two years now, if he see's that out because no one was going to match it, a 30 year old, kinda fat striker who could have another 2 seasons where he barely bothers to get fit, he won't be in a very strong bargaining position for a new contract. Which clubs in the world through 200k+ a week at 30 year old strikers just because they are out of contract, answer is very few.

a 4-6 year contract at 150k a week is worth more than 2 years at 250k by a large margin, he could probably this summer get Utd to give him a part of his "missing" wages as a pay off for leaving, he's in his strongest negotiating position now. If he left today Utd would maybe get 20-25mil for him AND save 25mil +(bonuses) wages, Rooney can use that fact to get Utd to give him a chunk of that to smeg off.

Anyway places like Monaco, no income tax, they can match his post tax wage, by paying him under 150k a week.

Meh, we'll see what Moyes does, if he buys a bunch of Everton players and goes small time, I'll laugh, it will be interesting to see what he does when faced with a bigger budget and bigger goals
drunkenmaster is offline   View trust for
Old 18th May 2013, 12:03   #591
K1LLSW1TCH
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas786 View Post
Arsenal please but we wont be able to afford his extortionate wages sadly.
No thanks.

i5 6600K // Reference GTX 1070 // 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000MHz // MSI Z170I
K1LLSW1TCH is offline   View trust for
Old 18th May 2013, 20:59   #592
cm1179
Wise Guy

André Villas-Boas says that he wants Tottenham Hotspur to appoint a technical director in order to make them bigger players on the transfer market. The Roma general manager Franco Baldini, who previously held a similar post alongside Fabio Capello in the England setup, is the favourite for the job.

The Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is an advocate of the two-tier continental-type structure, which can aid the continuity of player recruitment and, having inherited David Pleat as the director of football upon his arrival at the club in 2001, he went on to employ Frank Arnesen and Damien Comolli as the sporting director.

The results were mixed but Villas-Boas says that it would benefit him to work with such a figure, particularly one with the "experience of dressing rooms" rather than, for example, a boardroom executive. He worked productively with Antero Henrique at Porto.

Villas-Boas refused to say whether Baldini might be appointed at Tottenham, where Levy has not replaced the former chief scout, Ian Broomfield, who was central to player recruitment. Broomfield left to join Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers. Levy sacked Redknapp as Tottenham's manager last summer.

"The chairman and I have been outlining the route ahead for what we want to do in terms of the club structures and, hopefully, the arrival of somebody else in the structure for the recruitment side – a technical director," Villas-Boas said. "Hopefully we can take those steps forward. It's not up to me to confirm anything.

"The most important thing is the relationship between the person that bridges the gap between manager and board, and that he is able to be focused on the technical side of things. [It should be] someone who has experience of dressing rooms, represents the club, and is able to link up with players and agents."

Villas-Boas made it clear that he was fully supportive of the appointment, and he suggested that he might be more comfortable purely as coach, who could concentrate on work on the training pitch.

"I think of a more European style of structure, of a head coach and then the functions of a manager will be handed up to a different person," Villas-Boas said. "It's something that works. Since the first day, I told the club that it's somebody who is extremely important."

Tottenham are notorious for leaving some of their transfer deals to the last moment, and the overlap between the start of the season and the closure of the summer window has, on occasion, been unsettling. "Ideally when you set up for the first game of the season ... to have put the team to bed would be the ideal situation," Villas-Boas said.

Tottenham will pursue "quality" additions regardless of whether they qualify for the Champions League and Villas-Boas had praise for the Barcelona striker David Villa, with whom he has been linked. "I tried to move him to Chelsea [last season]," he said. "He's a world-renowned striker," he said.

cm1179 is offline   View trust for
Old 19th May 2013, 16:21   #593
kdd
Mobster

Reckon Bale is playing his last game for spurs.

PSN: Kennyuk77 - Now with added PS4
kdd is offline   View trust for
Old 19th May 2013, 17:35   #594
cm1179
Wise Guy

i'm not sure that was his last pl game for spurs but levy needs to bring his biggest persuasive tactic yet to convince him to stay. AVB is a massive factor and he needs to spend. we should never have sold VDV in hindsight as even though he wasn't a 90 minute player, for the price we paid he gave us something we couldn't replace for less than £20m.

cm1179 is offline   View trust for
Old 19th May 2013, 17:44   #595
Robbo
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1179 View Post
i'm not sure that was his last pl game for spurs but levy needs to bring his biggest persuasive tactic yet to convince him to stay. AVB is a massive factor and he needs to spend. we should never have sold VDV in hindsight as even though he wasn't a 90 minute player, for the price we paid he gave us something we couldn't replace for less than £20m.
Wishful thinking I feel, especially re: AVB relationship etc, heard it all before.

Real Madrid will be in the market for a new player and they'll be happy to pay whatever is required (to a certain extent), and I'm sure Bale will feel he can do better; no offence.

If Bale wants out - quite a reasonable possibility - Levy will be powerless. If not, then him staying is possible.

Robbo is offline   View trust for
Old 19th May 2013, 18:29   #596
BaZ87
Don

Bale only signed a new deal last summer so unless there are clauses in that which will allow Bale to leave, Levy could simply stand firm and refuse to listen to all offers. The question for AVB is whether he feels he can improve Spurs as a whole with what money they could get for Spurs because I can't see them having much to spend without sales.
BaZ87 is offline   View trust for
Old 19th May 2013, 18:34   #597
No1newts
Capodecina

Wonder where Bale will go, finishing outside top 4 should set off a frenzied summer of speculation!

No1newts is offline   View trust for
Old 19th May 2013, 18:46   #598
Robert1986
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdd View Post
Reckon Bale is playing his last game for spurs.
Imagine Ronaldo cutting in on the left and Bale cutting in on the right.
Robert1986 is offline   View trust for
Old 19th May 2013, 19:00   #599
kdd
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1986 View Post
Imagine Ronaldo cutting in on the left and Bale cutting in on the right.
Scary indeed. His goal today was ridiculous.

PSN: Kennyuk77 - Now with added PS4
kdd is offline   View trust for
Old 19th May 2013, 19:44   #600
Tom84
Registered

We all like to poke fun at Spurs (or should I say cm1179) myself included but being serious I dont actually think Bale will go anywhere this summer, he doesn't strike me as a particularly ambitious player (as in someone who will demand a move simply because Spurs aren't in the UCL) & he seems to have a bit of a bromance going on with AVB, then there's the issue of his price tag; Levy is going to demand stupid money the type only 2 or 3 clubs would be able to pay and that then begs the question of whether or not those clubs even want Bale? I know he's linked with Real Madrid but a welsh lad who plays for Spurs doesn't really strike me as a marquee signing on the scale of the likes of Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and Ronaldo

XBL | PSN : T0484
Tom84 is offline   View trust for
Closed Thread