*** Nexus 7 2nd Gen thread ***

Soldato
Seeing as it's due out this July, and I want one, I thought I'd start a thread for information, speculation and discussion.

I'll kick off with this speculation video created in Feb this year:

Soldato
I'm definitely going to get this when it comes out. I fancy a 1st gen but it's too late in the day to buy one when this is going to come out soon

Soldato
Holding off on buying another Nexus 7 to see what this is like (first one was returned due to early screen issues and no replacement stock).

Hoping it has a 1080p screen and there is a 32GB option. If they can do that for under £250 I'll have one.

Soldato
OP
The rumours I've been hearing say that it will be at least 1080p, and will be priced the same as the 1st gen was at lauch. But there's not much confirmed info considering it's supposed to be launched in a couple of months.

Soldato
1080p + 64gb please.

Better still, 1080p + SD slot.

Both of which are unfortunately not going to happen. 64GB of storage is not what Google views as necessary (as customers are apparently content with 32GB) and they are pushing users towards cloud services, and the lack of expandable storage is due to Google claiming that they are too confusing for end users (a rather weak argument, I'm sure you'll agree).

Will likely be purchasing this, but I'm really hoping for an 8 inch display. Looks like this won't happen, but rumours are just that - rumours. Nothing is confirmed until the release...

Last edited:
Soldato
I will be happy with 32 gig, 1080p. There will never be a SD slot, Google do not do them.

A 3g version on launch would also be nice.

Soldato
I think he just means because its a pretty terrible video :p

I agree on the SD slot though, while it would be nice you're unlikely to see it on a Nexus device any time soon. They want to promote their could services and they don't want to pay for the licensing to include it.

Associate
Why on earth would they include an SD slot? A large part of their business model is based around cloud storage, they're not going to include anything to discourage its use.

Soldato
Yeah it won't be a T4 as that would be way to expensive for a £150 device.

Looks like it's a quad core snapdragon.

Nexus 7 was a £199 device on launch and I don't expect the second generation to be any cheaper.

What I've read before might be just rumours, but wasn't the low price point of Nexus 7 possible only due to Nvidia discounting Tegra 3 in bulk numbers? Take any other SOC and the costs would go up by a considerable amount.

Too bad Nexus 7 has such poor I/O performance.

Back
Top Bottom