• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

gtx 480 x2 sli vs gtx 780

Associate
woo ho , hi all just got my gtx 780, im gonna do a few benchies tonight with the 480's before i put the 780 in, and then run again, so anyone thinking of going from sli 480's to a 780 watch this space,

f1 2012
ultra settings + 8 x msaa

480 sli = 84 fps
780 = 122 fps

dirt showdown
ultra settings 8 x msaa

480 sli = 77.0
780 = 94.02

hitman absolution
ultra settings 8 x msaa 16 x anisotropic filtering tesselation on bloom on

480 sli = 60.7
780 = 61.8

thats all i had time for as i was keen to get the 780 in, i can run more benchies later in the week if anyone wants a particular benchmark runnig, provided i have it that is.

this is with a 3930 @4.3.

oh forgot to say these are at a res of 2560 x 1600

this 780 also runs a lot cooler, it is currently idling @ 28, my 480s used to idle @ 50

Last edited:
I think it'll out perform the 480's, but not by that much.

Should have gone with my first thoughts - that it would beat two 480's quite comfortably.

Last edited:
480's are beasts, still very relevant today, if you waited this long may as well wait a little longer and see what 22nm cards AMD and Nvidia bring to the table next. Those will surely be a massive leap from GTX 480 SLI, and use far less power etc..

480's are beasts, still very relevant today, if you waited this long may as well wait a little longer and see what 22nm cards AMD and Nvidia bring to the table next. Those will surely be a massive leap from GTX 480 SLI, and use far less power etc..

Any news on when the Nvidia ones might be out? Are we looking at q3-q4 2014?

Im pretty bored of my stuffs, since I also want to replace my tubing and my res clamps need to be replaced as they have started to not hold them so securely.
If im going to be dismantling it all I may as well upgrade at the same time lol.

Although, I did just do a quick spec up of x79, hex core and sli 780's, and for the price, im pretty sure performance isnt going to justify the price any time soon.

Just adding to this thread as I have moved from 480's SLI to a GTX 780 SC. My 480s were highly clocked under water and my 780 is a preoverclocked card ie the EVGA Superclock. Benchmarks are at 1080p and on max settings. I did have results for Hitman but there seems to be a known bug so I removed them.

msit88.png

Overall the performance seems much the same bar VRAM heavy games where I can now up the AA and still get the same or slightly better frames. Gameplay also seems smoother on the GTX 780 in a few demanding games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom