What is wrong with my PC?!

Soldato
Hi guys, been having trouble with my PC the last few days.
Original thread here
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18520085

Long story short, I bought a new motherboard and havent been able to use my PC since installing it.

These are the few things I have discovered.
When I have minimal peripheral connected, I can get signal on my monitor, mouse and keyboard.
When I start to add other things such as headphones, speakers, Ethernet I can still get power on my keyboard and mouse but no signal on my monitor.
And when I add the GPU, I get no signal or power at all.

Someone suggested that this could be due to a failing PSU (HX750W).

What are my options/choices to get my PC up and running again?

Associate
It certainly sounds like it could be caused by a dodgy PSU. Have you tried testing the PSU or swapping it out for a different one?

Soldato
OP
I have no way of testing the PSU but my friend is coming over tomorrow with another PSU(Jeantech :p) but instead of using my HD7870XT, were going to use his X1950 Pro just in case :D

@Optimal, No havent tried that mate, I did try booting with one stick of RAM, 3 of them booted fine and 1 didnt make it to the BIOS screen, also tried them in all slot but after isolating the faulty stick, I tried 2 working sticks but then it wouldn't boot anymore?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have no way of testing the PSU but my friend is coming over tomorrow with another PSU(Jeantech :p) but instead of using my HD7870XT, were going to use his X1950 Pro just in case :D

@Optimal, No havent tried that mate, I did try booting with one stick of RAM, 3 of them booted fine and 1 didnt make it to the BIOS screen, also tried them in all slot but after isolating the faulty stick, I tried 2 working sticks but then it wouldn't boot anymore?

Watch out for the Jeantech Psu - they are rubbish quality, and more likely to cause a problem than solve it. Try running out of case with minimum setup, just cpu, memory, and system hard drive, Gpu - then add things back and see what causes problems.

Soldato
OP
Watch out for the Jeantech Psu - they are rubbish quality, and more likely to cause a problem than solve it. Try running out of case with minimum setup, just cpu, memory, and system hard drive, Gpu - then add things back and see what causes problems.

I just got time doing this today.
I took everything out of the case and only connected the kb,mouse,hdmi cable, and ssd. Everything boots fine with these items but as soon as I add the GPU I get no power/signal from the monitor, kb and mouse.

Is it safe to say it's the PSU?

Going to see if my friend will allowed me to test my GPU in his PC later just to check.

Associate
Hi I had this problem with a psu I brought - what would happen is if I put by xfx 6850 then the computer would power on but not post. But if I put an old gpu (geforce 9800) then pc would boot fine - I think it is your psu by the sounds of it. What overclockers let me do was buy a psu from them and test it with my system - if it worked then I would keep the psu, if not then they said I could rma it (I brought the faulty psu from overclockers). Hope that helps xx

Soldato
OP
Hi I had this problem with a psu I brought - what would happen is if I put by xfx 6850 then the computer would power on but not post. But if I put an old gpu (geforce 9800) then pc would boot fine - I think it is your psu by the sounds of it. What overclockers let me do was buy a psu from them and test it with my system - if it worked then I would keep the psu, if not then they said I could rma it (I brought the faulty psu from overclockers). Hope that helps xx

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will carry out some more testing to rule out any other possibilities but so far the main suspect is the PSU.

Soldato
I just got time doing this today.
I took everything out of the case and only connected the kb,mouse,hdmi cable, and ssd. Everything boots fine with these items but as soon as I add the GPU I get no power/signal from the monitor, kb and mouse.

Is it safe to say it's the PSU?

Going to see if my friend will allowed me to test my GPU in his PC later just to check.

Well you have narrowed it down to the PSU or GPU - it is worth testing your GPU in another machine just to be absolutely sure, but PSU is looking to be the likely culprit at this point.

Soldato
OP
So, I done a couple more testing earlier today.

Tested my GPU on my friends machine and it booted fine, so GPU is definitely not the cause of the problem.

Tested my system without the GPU with my friends PSU, booted fine.

Tested my system with GPU with my friends PSU, doesn't boot, although everything else still receies power.

Sigh, I wish it had booted fine when I had the GPU in using my friends PSU so that I could just get a new PSU and solve the problem :o

Next suspect is RAM I presume?

Seems like I need to do a few more testing to find the problem, such bad timing seeing as the Steam summer sale is approaching :mad:

Associate
So, I done a couple more testing earlier today.

Tested my GPU on my friends machine and it booted fine, so GPU is definitely not the cause of the problem.

Tested my system without the GPU with my friends PSU, booted fine.

Tested my system with GPU with my friends PSU, doesn't boot, although everything else still receies power.

Sigh, I wish it had booted fine when I had the GPU in using my friends PSU so that I could just get a new PSU and solve the problem :o

Next suspect is RAM I presume?

Seems like I need to do a few more testing to find the problem, such bad timing seeing as the Steam summer sale is approaching :mad:

Sounds like the mobo bios, grab the latest and flash it to your mb. Seems like a common thing with Gigabyte boards these days.

Soldato
OP
Having a look at my motherboard's memory compatibility list, my RAM isn't listed on it. :confused:

The closest they have are
CMP4GX3M2A1600C8
CMX6GX3M3A1600C9

But mines are the CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

bJN

bJN

Soldato
When you have your GPU in place, what are you using to connect to the monitor - are you connecting from the motherboard or straight from the GPU? Might not be set in the BIOS as to which it is using and therefore failing to display when it is inserted.

Apologies if that has already been covered though. :)

Soldato
OP
When I have the GPU in place, I use the DVI cable to connect from GPU>monitor.
Without the GPU I use a HDMI cable from motherboard>monitor.

No worries, the more suggestion the better, it means I'm not leaving anything without testing :)

Soldato
OP
try the hdmi cable with the gpu, also have you tried the graphics card in one of the other pci x16 slots? could be a faulty motherboard, as you said it started when you got it

Will try using the hdmi in the morning.
I already tried using the other PCIe x16/8 lane and it was the same result with the PC not being able to boot.

The bios is set to display via iGPU yeah? :) (Sorry if you've checked that already)

I will also check this tomorrow morning. Thanks

The weird thing is that, with the GPU inserted, the keyboard and mouse get no power which lead me to the conclusion of the PSU not delivering enough power but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Back
Top Bottom