credit score dropped

Soldato
hello.

I applied and was accepted for a credit card during the week and recently have been keeping a close eye on my credit history and rating.

i know that applying for credit and finance and even searching for things like car insurance can appear on your credit report but since my application and acceptance of the credit card my score has dropped 40 points. is that normal?

Soldato
You've just received credit from a lender, this means you're higher risk to other lenders as your outgoings have potentially increased due to repayments on the new credit you've received. Hence your "credit score" has fallen.

Not sure why this isn't obvious.

aln

aln

Associate
It's funny because if you were to do what would seem like the logical thing and apply for several forms of credit to see who comes back with the lowest rate, you'll only ever get a higher rate as its that you've applied for credit. >_<

Associate
Genuinely learnt something here.

Did not realise that applying for a credit card affects the rating in the short term.

Seems logical once it's been patiently explained to me.

Associate
The 'credit score' you get from online providers such as Experian is bogus anyway, the banks/insurers/etc use their own scoring methods.

Associate
The 'credit score' you get from online providers such as Experian is bogus anyway, the banks/insurers/etc use their own scoring methods.

I wouldnt call it "bogus" .each financial institution choose which credit reference agency they wish to use,be it Experian, Equifax or D&B.

These agencies are there to provide a guideline to the credit provider who each have their own credit decision policies. Some may be more averse to risk than others and thus you may be rejected at one place,but accepted at another. The way the banks use their own scoring methods as you've mentioned is through drawing from the information given to them by the agencies, so it is still advantageous to ensure there are no "black marks" on your credit history as it will affect the decision of the bank.

Soldato
What do people use to check credit?

My fiancée used to use experian but eventually stopped and it was very difficult to cancel the payments. She had to stop the direct debit with the bank and then they put it as not paying and it lowered hers :/

Associate
I wouldnt call it "bogus" .each financial institution choose which credit reference agency they wish to use,be it Experian, Equifax or D&B.

These agencies are there to provide a guideline to the credit provider who each have their own credit decision policies. Some may be more averse to risk than others and thus you may be rejected at one place,but accepted at another. The way the banks use their own scoring methods as you've mentioned is through drawing from the information given to them by the agencies, so it is still advantageous to ensure there are no "black marks" on your credit history as it will affect the decision of the bank.

Yes, but that isn't what I am saying - the score is bogus, the credit information itself obviously isn't otherwise they have no reason for existing. The score is just a number that the credit agencies have calculated themselves as an easier way to rank your own credit profile, its agency specific and isn't used by lenders in the credit scoring process.

Man of Honour

They do take the credit score into account. But they do also take other factors into account such as a person's propensity to default on the loan, propensity to pay it back early, likelihood of taking the loan at a specific rate, likelihood you are of taking a competitors loan instead ( brand loyalty). Even if two people with the same credit score walk into the same bank branch and ask for a quote, they are likely to get slightly different APRs.

I wrote part of a banks loan quotation system.

Permabanned
What do people use to check credit?

My fiancée used to use experian but eventually stopped and it was very difficult to cancel the payments. She had to stop the direct debit with the bank and then they put it as not paying and it lowered hers :/

rubbish. a quick call to them and they will cancel.

ps the credit score from these providers is a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom