• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD ULPS Is Killing Multi GPU Performance & Smoothness

Caporegime
I would like to see AMD give an option in CCC to disable ULPS. I also believe AMD should reccomended all review sites to disable it before benchmarking their multi gpu solutions. Single gpu's are unaffected.

Thanks to Tommy for compiling some results for me.

ULPS ON

llmMEEB.png

bNQanC2.jpg

There is no drawback to disabling ULPS, unless you consider an extra 10W at idle a drawback. Plenty of drawbacks to leaving it enabled though.

ULPS OFF

IT5yA23.png

XYeBYbz.jpg

Note the extra performance with ULPS off on the minimum and average fps and the low gpu usage of gpu 2 with ULPS on. Seriously harming performance and decreasing smoothness and frame time as one gpu is not pulling its weight evenly in the usage stakes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Does this have any effect on single gpu performance?

Single gpu's are unaffected.

ULPS is Zerocore. It shuts off the second gpu when not in use so it won't affect single gpu. Its a nice feature but it seriously harms performance and there should be an option in CCC to disable it without having to use a third party overclocking tool. Extra performance and smoothness is noticeable as soon as you disable it.

Soldato
Might break their low power mode which is a selling argument.
Those that OC use more often than not special tools from thirdparty anyhow so for me its a none issue.

If you cant OC using thirdparty tools you shouldnt OC ;)

Permabanned
Might break their low power mode which is a selling argument.
Those that OC use more often than not special tools from thirdparty anyhow so for me its a none issue.

If you cant OC using thirdparty tools you shouldnt OC ;)

That's not really the point though, even if you aren't overclocking disabling it gives you extra performance, there should be an option or something put in the driver where UPLS disables itself when a full screen application is launched, not sure if it requires a restart though to disable it, I've never needed to use it.

Soldato
Just gave this a try on my setup as I've always run with ULPS active. Using the Sleeping Dogs benchie I got:

With ULPS active -
Average: 70.8FPS
Max: 92.1FPS
Min: 43.1FPS

With ULPS de-activated:
Average: 71.2FPS
Max: 93.9FPS
Min: 44.7FPS

All at 5760x1080x60Hz, AA-High, Hi-res-On, Shadow-High, SSAO-High, V-Sync-Off, Motion Blur-On, FPS Limiter-Off

It's a bit of a difference in favour of ULPS being off, but it's not as dramatic a difference as others are seeing. Wonder if it's because of the resolution, or maybe because I've only clocked the cards to 1000/1500?

EDIT: did notice GPU2 was at 99% for both runs, with GPU1 at 95%+ the whole time too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
That's not really the point though, even if you aren't overclocking disabling it gives you extra performance, there should be an option or something put in the driver where UPLS disables itself when a full screen application is launched, not sure if it requires a restart though to disable it, I've never needed to use it.

Each time it is enabled or disabled you need to restart before the setting is applied.

Just gave this a try on my setup as I've always run with ULPS active. Using the Sleeping Dogs benchie I got:

With ULPS active -
Average: 70.8FPS
Max: 92.1FPS
Min: 43.1FPS

With ULPS de-activated:
Average: 71.2FPS
Max: 93.9FPS
Min: 44.7FPS

All at 5760x1080x60Hz, AA-High, Hi-res-On, Shadow-High, SSAO-High, V-Sync-Off, Motion Blur-On, FPS Limiter-Off

It's a bit of a difference in favour of ULPS being off, but it's not as dramatic a difference as others are seeing. Wonder if it's because of the resolution, or maybe because I've only clocked the cards to 1000/1500?

EDIT: did notice GPU2 was at 99% for both runs, with GPU1 at 95%+ the whole time too.

Sounds like it wasn't disabled.

Caporegime
OP
I took the easy method to check if it was disabled or not - peek under the desk and see if my GPU2 fans are spinning. :D Fans were stopped at desktop with ULPS enabled, and were spinning at desktop with ULPS disabled.

Furry muff. Was the gpu usage constant at 99%? Because i see similar usage like in the pics in the OP with ULPS on. Gpu 1 pegged at 100% and Gpu 2 anywhere from 70-95%. I'm on single screen, so i don't know whether that has any effect or not.

Soldato
With ULPS de-activated:
nim9.png

With ULPS active:
km8r.png

The only drops are in the menus before I actually started the benchmark, and the bits between scenes. GPU2 isn't as static as I thought it was during the ULPS-deactive run from the figure on the screen, on the graphs it shows it wander a little.

Soldato
Guys god darn it.. Now i have to dig up my second 7950 again to see if disabling ULPS will help the horrible performance i had on the new Frame pacing beta driver..how could you do this to me... no really..how?

PS: Thank you so much!!

Soldato
Cheers shankly and Matt :D

I've just ran a couple of Valley benchmarks (Extreme HD).

Both with ULPS disabled and enabled, both benchmarks were run a couple of times.

With ULPS on,

FPS 72.2
Score 3020
Min FPS 32
Max 146.6

ULPS off,

FPS 77.6
Score 3248
Min FPS 33.6
Max 152.3

Both my 7970s are downclocked to 925/1375 due to my CPU bottleneck.

I think the results speak for themselves :cool:

Associate
I've 2 screenshots of my tomb raider benchmarks that show a 20 fps drop (average) on tomb raider with ULPS enabled, I would also like to see an option in their software to disable it (if HIS software can have a check box for it surly amd can )

Soldato
Thanks Matt, much better thread then my effort :D

ULPS really does need to be an option, the difference is night and day for me. Like you said do all reviewers also disable this.

Associate
Just another point - I didnt even know about ULPS and stumbled on it by accident, when I got my crossfire setup going I used CCC to set my clocks and stress test it to make sure it was working, but I knew my 2nd card could clock higher on the memory, so I loaded up HIS software as it allows you to exceed the maximum clocks, and when I tried to clock the card it said I had to disable ULPS - hadnt a clue what this was and had to google it, so only came across it by chance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom