Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 7th Aug 2013, 07:40   #1
Phate
Caporegime

Living in Maidstone - anyone?

Hi guys,

Currently looking at properties in Kent. Main favourites are Rochester and Maidstone.

Rochester we are pretty clued up on...ie where to and where not to live etc.

Can anyone offer any guidance on Maidstone?

We don't want anywhere scummy [/snob] a nice area thats walking distance (upto 1.5 miles) from the station would be ideal as I need to commute into London.

If anyone can offer any guidance/advice that would be brilliant.

TIA
Best,
Jake

Phate is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 08:03   #2
Freefaller
Commissario

All I know is that you'll be closer to me if you live there. This is a good thing. <3

I have friends that live in Maidstone, but I don't know enough about it to help you - but it's a nice town from the times I've spent there.

L'Admin Fraais d' OcUK - Email in trust & FAQ.
Freefaller is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 08:14   #3
Phate
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefaller View Post
All I know is that you'll be closer to me if you live there. This is a good thing. <3

I have friends that live in Maidstone, but I don't know enough about it to help you - but it's a nice town from the times I've spent there.
Well that was my first priority sweetie. <3

Cool, it seems nice enough! Would you mind asking on my behalf please?

Old 7th Aug 2013, 08:23   #4
I fancy boys
Wise Guy

lived there for a while, tbh at night time it can be a little lively/rough (IMO). I don't mean to sound snobby, but its surrounded by quite a few council estates and properties which i think results in my former point. During the day its a reasonable place i guess.

Phenom X6 1055T ATI 4350 512Mb
Samsung spinpoint F1 1TB 4GB Patriot @ 1600
Gigabyte AM3-UD7 Ocz 600W PSU
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB Xonar D2X
I fancy boys is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 08:59   #5
Phate
Caporegime

Hmmm doesn't sound great.

Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:00   #6
panthro
Capodecina

Only been to Maidstone once, but its got a decent town centre. West (or East, can't remember) Malling is nearby and thats really nice. Much smaller and more of a country feel, but you can get in and out of London easily, especially east London/Canary Wharf.

panthro is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:02   #7
Phate
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthro View Post
Only been to Maidstone once, but its got a decent town centre. West (or East, can't remember) Malling is nearby and thats really nice. Much smaller and more of a country feel, but you can get in and out of London easily, especially east London/Canary Wharf.
Malling you say?

Shall take a look - Thank you!

Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:09   #8
Freefaller
Commissario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phate View Post
Well that was my first priority sweetie. <3

Cool, it seems nice enough! Would you mind asking on my behalf please?
Will do!

L'Admin Fraais d' OcUK - Email in trust & FAQ.
Freefaller is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:10   #9
Phate
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefaller View Post
Will do!
xx

Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:12   #10
wozzizname
Wise Guy

Just a note about Rochester - if you will be commuting, seats on the train (if you're going to Victoria or Cannon Street) may be hard to find as lots of commuters get on at Rainham, Gillingham and Chatham. If you'd be getting the high speed to St Pancras it wouldn't be a problem.

What sort of place would you be looking to get in Rochester or Maidstone ?
wozzizname is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:15   #11
DailyGeek
Mobster

I live in Maidstone and always have done, what do you want to know?

"I've killed things from other worlds before..."
DailyGeek is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:17   #12
axer
Mobster

The only Pizza Express is in the high street and parking is a royal PITA, this is my experience of Maidstone (I considered moving my business from Kent Science Park, Sittingbourne to Maidstone TV Studios, Maidstone so did a bit of a reccy :P)
axer is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:43   #13
bitslice
PermaBanned

From a driving holiday I remember that Dover was a hole and that Kent got nicer the further inland or West you travelled.
bitslice is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 09:52   #14
chriscubed
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by axer View Post
The only Pizza Express is in the high street and parking is a royal PITA, this is my experience of Maidstone (I considered moving my business from Kent Science Park, Sittingbourne to Maidstone TV Studios, Maidstone so did a bit of a reccy :P)
No it isn't

It's in Earl Street, which runs parallel to the high street. Oh, and it's practically next to a giant multi storey car park.

Ivy Fortress - build log
Lenovo X220 - i5-2540M 8GB RAM
chriscubed is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 10:35   #15
valve90210
Mobster

I live in Maidstone and have done for the last 8 years or so and before that lived in a village not far from it called Staplehurst - so basically Maidstone is my home town.

My thoughts on it as a town...

Shopping is pretty good as far as high streets go and has al your typical shops. It hadn't been hit much by the economic down turn since 2008 but over the last year or so it seems to have suffered a bit a some shops have gone but if you're a fairly standard sort of person you'll find what you're looking for.

Eating out is great, there is pretty much everything you could wish for from a decent greasy spoon up to some lovely restaurants. You'll find pretty much all the main chains here including Nandos, Pizza Express, Zizzi, Prezzo etc. Most of these are situated on one street which is becoming a nice eating area. In addition in the surrounding area there are some lovely pubs that do amazing food and some truely fantastic restaurants about.

As for parking, there is actually masses of parking it's just that some of it is spreadout and hidden away a bit bit if you get to know the area you can always find a space!!!

Dodgy Areas...
As with pretty much any town there are some dodgy areas some are complete no go zones others you just need to avoid certain parts.

For example: Tovil
Avoid Coombe Road and Courtney Road as they are truely hideous however not far away at Tovil Green (literally half a mile away) there is a lovely set of estates which are really peaceful and quiet and some really nice houses.

My Rough off the top of my head guide to areas of Maidstone
1) Senacre - largely ok, a few areas to avoid.
2) Shepway - Largely avoid though there are some nice roads tucked away (I live on one such road)
3) Park Wood - Avoid
4) Mangravet - avoid at all costs!
5) Tovil - Some nice areas but some very rough areas too
6) Downswood -largely speaking ok
7) Bearsted - Nice
8) Weavering - Nice
9) Boxley - Ok though some areas to be avoided
10) Otham - nice
11) Sandling - nice
12) Ringlestone - avoid
13) Larkfield - ok
14) Ditton - nice
15) Detling - Nice
16) Barming - Nice for the most part

In the surrounding area there are some really really nice villages which are close enough to make Maidstone very handy but far enough away to be nicely rural, and a lot of them are on the trainline to London.

examples on train line:
Hollingbourne, Harrietsham, Lensham,

Examples not on train line:
Leeds, coxheath, Boughton Monchelsea, Linton, Langley

A bit further out you also have some nice villages which are on a different fast commuter line:
eg Marden, Staplehurst, Headcorn.

hope this is of some help.
valve90210 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 10:47   #16
Phate
Caporegime

Valve thats a bloody brilliant post and given us lots to go on, thank you

Old 7th Aug 2013, 10:55   #17
chriscubed
Hitman

I'd agree with Valve on pretty much everything there. Didn't know Boxley had some bad areas though - where do you mean?

Ivy Fortress - build log
Old 7th Aug 2013, 10:57   #18
valve90210
Mobster

No worries.

If you need any more info just give me a shout, happy to help out.

Of the two (Rochester and Maidstone) I would choose Maidstone every time! ALthough Rochester is quite nice, it is right next door to Chatham which is really not! Every time in the last 10 years that I have been to Chat shopping or anything, there has been palpable tension in the air and made it feel rather intimidating and unpleasant.

It's quite strange really as the change seemed to happen very quickly several years ago whic I was at university. Two or three times a year I'd go for a day out shopping with my Mum and we'd have a nice lunch (use to be a lovely greek restaurant there) and it was always a lovely day. Then. having not been for a few months we went and the whole place felt like it had changed, there seemed to be an atmosphere and tension that you could almost feel, and all the life had gone from the shopping centre and everywhere...twas most odd!!
Old 7th Aug 2013, 10:59   #19
valve90210
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscubed View Post
I'd agree with Valve on pretty much everything there. Didn't know Boxley had some bad areas though - where do you mean?
Maybe using Boxley a little too loosely actually, thinking down the bottom of Boxley Road by the prison etc, though that's probably more town centre than Boxley itself...
Old 7th Aug 2013, 11:05   #20
chriscubed
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve90210 View Post
Maybe using Boxley a little too loosely actually, thinking down the bottom of Boxley Road by the prison etc, though that's probably more town centre than Boxley itself...
Ah ok - down towards the prison is Penenden Heath area, which itself has nice parts and not so nice parts, but there's no trouble to be worried about as far as I've seen.

Ivy Fortress - build log
Old 7th Aug 2013, 11:08   #21
valve90210
Mobster

Was thinking further down than Penenden Heath really so guess it'd just be town centre. A friend of mine grew up just along from the Heath
Old 7th Aug 2013, 11:09   #22
wozzizname
Wise Guy

Good to see there's a few of us around this way - I've lived here for all my 49 years so know the Medway area very well, and I do like Rochester.
wozzizname is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 11:10   #23
axer
Mobster

Quote:
No it isn't

It's in Earl Street, which runs parallel to the high street. Oh, and it's practically next to a giant multi storey car park.
When your used to retail parks/shopping centres with plentiful amounts of easy access, decently sized bays that are free to park it, queueing up on a *weekday* to get into a cramped multi storey that charges you, just so you can eat at Pizza Express, is a PITA!
axer is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 11:14   #24
chriscubed
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve90210 View Post
Was thinking further down than Penenden Heath really so guess it'd just be town centre. A friend of mine grew up just along from the Heath
Penenden Heath stretches quite far down Boxley Road, but yes the bottom quarter or so of it (near the prison) would just be town centre really. Perhaps it was the name of the road that you were thinking of when you said Boxley.

I live in Penenden Heath myself, pretty handy for being able to walk to town/Maidstone East in 10 minutes or so, as well as being the right side of town for the motorways.

Ivy Fortress - build log
Old 7th Aug 2013, 11:17   #25
chriscubed
Hitman

Quote:
When your used to retail parks/shopping centres with plentiful amounts of easy access, decently sized bays that are free to park it, queueing up on a *weekday* to get into a cramped multi storey that charges you, just so you can eat at Pizza Express, is a PITA!
Fair enough - I live close enough to walk down so don't have to worry about that too much.

There are other car parks on the other side of the one way system which are pay and display type open car parks only a few minutes walk from Pizza Express. What's your obsession with Pizza Express anyway?

Ivy Fortress - build log
Old 7th Aug 2013, 11:27   #26
valve90210
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzizname View Post
Good to see there's a few of us around this way - I've lived here for all my 49 years so know the Medway area very well, and I do like Rochester.
Didn't realise there were quite so many of us!

Quote:
True but then you are coming into a town centre not a retail park...If you wanted somewhere to eat with plenty of free parking could try The Village in which has a nice bar/grill and a very nice restaurant...

Quote:
Penenden Heath stretches quite far down Boxley Road, but yes the bottom quarter or so of it (near the prison) would just be town centre really. Perhaps it was the name of the road that you were thinking of when you said Boxley.
I think I must have been...lol I'm more of a South Maidstone chap... (tring to remain nice and respectable in the middle of Shepway...lol

Quote:
I live in Penenden Heath myself, pretty handy for being able to walk to town/Maidstone East in 10 minutes or so, as well as being the right side of town for the motorways.
I vaguely remember a few drunken walks back to Penenden Heath and crashing over at my mate's house....good times...though I wouldn't like to have been the owners of the end house on Curzon Road who would have woken up to find their garden wall damp and stinking of wee after one particularly big group night out in Lashings (back when it was really good)...lol
Old 7th Aug 2013, 11:33   #27
d_brennen
Capodecina

I lived in Headcorn for a little over a year. Really nice town, mostly professionals commuting into London. REALLY boring for an ex-Londoner though, two pubs and only one of those had passable beer/lovely barmaids

d_brennen is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 20:08   #28
flibbage0
Mobster

I have a mate that lives in Maidstone, he said it's pretty good and that the people that say it's a ****hole should see the outside world and then come back, they'll more than likely change their stance.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste_bla View Post
Cheese cake doesn't have cheese in it - valid question would you not say
flibbage0 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2013, 20:19   #29
Phate
Caporegime

Looking to buy Flibbage

Old 7th Aug 2013, 20:23   #30
flibbage0
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phate View Post
Looking to buy Flibbage
Look around Mote Park if you want something nice but close to town (can be quite expensive he said) something about the main entrance and not the other side (guessing it's quite big).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste_bla View Post
Cheese cake doesn't have cheese in it - valid question would you not say
flibbage0 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote