Can I use 205 width tyres to replace my 215s?

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi,

Just a quick one... just did a tyre check for my new car (mk4 2008 Mondeo) and Ford's stipulation is 215/55R16 V93

My old car (mk3 2001 Mondeo) has 4 virtually brand new tyres which are 205/55/R16 V91

Would my old car's tyres be compatible with my new car? Unsure whether to keep them or not...

The Dealer has put four brand new Sunew YS112 on which I've since found out are a bag of **** and my old tyres are four virtually brand new Conti Eco Contact Premium 5s...

Last edited:
Soldato
speedodiff_zpseb98f71f.png~original

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
thanks guys,

I can just swap the wheels over myself jacking the cars up? Don't have to take them to a pro to get balanced or something again?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
thanks guys,

I can just swap the wheels over myself jacking the cars up? Don't have to take them to a pro to get balanced or something again?
Just swap them over. The wheels are already balanced.

Won't a Mk4 look weird on Mk3 rims though?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Check the fitment too, I have no idea about Ford wheel fitment.

Might be worth just getting the tyres done instead of the wheels. Unless you have steel wheels.

Soldato
Do they have pressure sensors? If so they would need reprogramming.

But it should be fine. I am running some slightly smaller tyres on the front of my car to use up some tyres.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
I don't know what to do now - my old car is advertised for sale with 12 watchers and a starting price of £250. Don't know whether to let the car sell and buy brand new 215 tyres with the money or just take the wheels off and stick them on my new car. Having just bought my new car it doesn't quite seem right to alter against Ford's recommendations iyswim.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
If you really can be bothered, swap the tyres but not the rims.
You've got to question if it's worth the effort though.

What are the tyres on your old car?

Soldato
Eco contacts and premium contacts are different but priced about the same in that size, about £80 fitted each.

I'd say it's worth keeping them, that said to swap all the tyres (not wheels) will cost a few quid as it's 8 tyres to fit in effect. I'd have a chat with some tyre fitters to see if you can cut a deal?

Back
Top Bottom