• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Caporegime
Hawaii Live Stream Starts 8PM UK Time 25th Sept 2013

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-eventDetails&EventId=5024687

Holy Smokes. :eek:

RIP Titan?

Well apparently the rumor was true, AMD Hawaii GPU has (supposedly) 512-bit interface and 4GB memory according to leaked photos.

AMD’s Radeon R9 290X equipped with Hawaii XT GPU is said to have at least 2560 Stream Processors. Some claim it will have 2816, which is not exactly confirmed. In fact the information we have indicates that the full Hawaii GPU will go straight to FirePro model, whereas the 2560 edition will be used with the flagship Radeon. That’s the rumor of course. I could not verify anything because AMD is very quiet about their new release.

It doesn’t take a lot of effort to count the memory modules. You can easily find sixteen 256MB modules with a total capacity of 4GB, but that’s not all, since the PCB could provide additional space on the back, with dual-sided memory, 8GB does it sound good? Nevertheless, 4GB memory size obviously suggest 512-bit memory bus.

Additionally we have a picture from Twitter where Johan Andersson (Technical Director on Frostbite at DICE) claims that he got a sample straight from AMD. If that’s true then he is in a big trouble right now. However it wouldn't be surprising if this would be a controlled leak. Do you remember the HD 7990 leaked by… DICE?

The leaked picture of the cooler suggest it’s a blower type without much happening on the top. It actually looks like an engineering sample, rather than a actual reference design.

Pics

SLw4M5t.jpg

2KWPHhz.jpg

4kAwMK5.jpg

Source
1.http://videocardz.com/45704/amd-radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-gpu-pictured-512-bit-4gb-memory
2.https://twitter.com/repi/status/381427050252234753

Last edited:
Soldato
Hope it is not like one of those mistaken info before the launch of 6950/6970 back then :p

If this is really true, then I'm really glad that I didn't pull the trigger on the Asus 7970 Matrix Platinum.

Caporegime
OP
With memory prices on the high, this is definitely gonna beat titan on pricing as well..

No it won't. AMD gave an interview last week saying it won't be priced in titan range. It will be below 7990 pricing.

They’re coming in Q4. I can’t reveal a pricepoint but we’re looking at more traditional enthusiast GPU pricepoints. We’re not targeting a $999 single GPU solution like our competition because we believe not a lot of people have that $999. We normally address what we call the ultra-enthusiast segment with a dual-GPU offering like the 7990. So this next-generation line is targeting more of the enthusiast market versus the ultra-enthusiast one.

Source
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...adeon-cards-next-gen-consoles-7990-criticism/

Soldato
With memory prices on the high, this is definitely gonna beat titan on pricing as well..
Let's see...512bit with a average memory clock of say...1500Mhz, that's 384GB/s memory bandwidth already! And if the memory can overclock as high as the 7970 up to 1700MHz, that would be like 435.2GB/s, nearly double of the stock GTX770's memory bandwidth at 221GB/s!!

But I ain't holding my breath till the NDA is lifted with some proper benching results. Sounds too good to be true like the "6970 will beat GTX580 at a lower price point" back then.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's going to be as much as £500, even if this is true. That's 780 pricing, and AMD will want to make the 780 look underpowered and too expensive.

Soldato
I don't think it's going to be as much as £500, even if this is true. That's 780 pricing, and AMD will want to make the 780 look underpowered and too expensive.
Yea. I hope this is an aggressive approach by AMD trying to tell them world they ain't 2nd place in the GPU market, after the 7950 and 7970 barely shifted as much as the GTX670 and GTX680, despite having better spec and being nearly £100 cheaper for a long period of time (and with lots of game bundles as well). Hope this is AMD's attempt to "super polish" their brand name for the graphic market.

Soldato
If 2816 shaders, with 4GB DDR5 with 512 bus / decent bandwidth, it'll take all of my will power to resist :o lol.

I suppose my GTX 780 would make a nice upgrade for my boys PC :)

Soldato
Someone care to explain where the 512bit came from? All I see is a pic of a PCB with 16 memory modules.

The whiteboard leak had configs of no more than 8 modules. This could just be a Firepro fully-enabled part with double VRAM.

bru

bru

Soldato
So even assuming that this leak is correct and the others are not, (They cannot all be true) 2500+ stream processors and a 512Mbit bus but still the GK110 is 30% bigger, how did they fit it all in?

Man of Honour
Someone care to explain where the 512bit came from? All I see is a pic of a PCB with 16 memory modules.

The whiteboard leak had configs of no more than 8 modules. This could just be a Firepro fully-enabled part with double VRAM.

Firepro PCBs are usually in red. Not that it makes these images necessarily any more valid.

Theres some heavy post processing on the images but I can't tell from a casual look if its just to obfuscate stuff that could potential point to who leaked it or whether it is a photoshop job.

Back
Top Bottom