• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***official amd 83x0 overclocking thread***

Associate
here were all about the red uprising against the blue devil, whatever your weapon of choice from the 83x0 range you'll find tips on how to tweak that chip into a fire breathing dragon. We have a great community of helpful guys and we all chip in as best we can to solve the teething problems of overclocking.

below is a list off members who have helped build the community and the thread and the specs of there boards, chip, voltages and ram to give newcomers a idea of whats commonly used with these chips

Farmerboy-86

cpu - 8350 @ 4.8 stable 1.44v
board - asus m5a99x evo r2 board
Ram - patriot viper 3 1600mhz @ 1.5v 9-9-9-24
Cooling - xspc raystorm block with 240mm rad, 360 mm rad for gpu's with liquid extasy narrow line block x2, d5 laning vario pump
Fans - scythe gentle typhoons 1850 rpm
Case - Bitfenix colossus venom green
Gpu - 2 gigabyte 7970 oc edition with GHZ bios flash ;)
Storage - 2 samsung 840 pro SSD 256GB for games, OCZ Agility 3 for windows 7 120GB
Monitor - BenQ XL2420TX 24" TRUE 120Hz 3D Vision 2.0 Widescreen LED Monitor
Sound - Logitech 5.1 surround sound
mouse R.A.T 7
keyboard - cyborg V7
Controller - custom modded xbox controller with shotgun shell buttons and green led's

Th0nt - helped push the thread and build it up and put up with all my questions ;p

Cpu - 8320 @ 4.6 (for now)
Cooling - Corsair H100
Board - Sabertooth R2
Ram - Corsair Vengeance 8Gb
case - Corsair Carbide 540
Gpu - 2 x HD7770

teppic - helped push the thread and build it up

mxOrange

cpu - Amd FX 8320 @ 4.7Ghz
Board - Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Ram - 16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X

ALXAndy

cpu - AMD FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz @ 1.38v
Board - Gigabyte 990 FXA UD3 rev 3.0
Ram - G skill Ripjaws Z @ 1866MHz 9-10-9-28 1T 1.65V

GavinG

cpu - 8320 Black Edition @ 4.5 GHz
Board - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX
Ram - TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB)

GinG

cpu - FX8350 @ 4.9Ghz
Board - Asus M5A97 evo r2.0
Ram - Viper Black 8GB

pandem0nium

cpu - 8350 @ 5GHz
Board - sabertooth 990fx
ram team group extreme 2133MHz 10-11-11-28 @1.5v

nkata -

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.75 GHz, 1.44V
Board - Asus crosshair v formula - 250MHz bus x19. HT/NB 2500MHz
Ram - 16Gb ddr3 @ 2000MHz 11-11-11-28 1.65V, Patriot and Vengeance
Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC14PE, two Venom case fans.

alex_123_fra

Cpu - 8320 @ 4.8 GHz 24/7 at 1.44Vcore. Able to achieve 5.15 GHz stable at 1.53V
Cooling - Custom water with D5 pump/res, Phobya Xtreme 200mm rad and EK waterblock
Temps - max 59C package using LinX 20 cycles
Board - Crosshair V Formula Z and this doesn't throttle the CPU.

Elfmeister

Cpu - FX-8350 BE
Board - ASUS M5A97-PRO
Gpu - MSi GTX 670 PE /
Ram - 16GB Kingston HyperX
Storage - 240GB Sandisk SSD, 2 x 750 GB Seagate HDD's
Case - Corsair TX850

Also throughout the thread you will find many tips and posts of various rig setups and what works and doesn't ;)

have fun and feel free to ask any questions and the guys and myself will be glad to help

Last edited:
Soldato
Could be LLC try ultra high on the CPU and high on NB. Up the voltage then to 1.43 or maybe a bit more. The mobo you have got should be fine, I was benching at 5GHz on an M5A99x rev 1 but not prime stable. I was on air 1.47V and getting IBT stability at 4.8GHz.

Failing prime is no biggie if it does not throttle at normal work loads.

The following is in my opinion a list of good motherboards for the FX8350, competent motherboards and lastly ones to possibly avoid if you want to overclock or even run an FX8350 at stock. The competence is reflected in the price to some extent and obviously not everyone will want to buy from the most expensive end. A motherboard in the 'competent' range will often produce good results with decent cooling and memory etc.

Good motherboards should have good VRM's, 6+2 power phases up to 12+2, overheat protection, extensive and easy to use bios controls. With adequate cooling the CPU should reach 4.8 to 5.0GHz or better
ASROCK
Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
990FX Extreme9

ASUS
M5A99FX PRO R2
SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
CROSSHAIR V FORMULA
CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Z

Competent motherboards should also have good VRM's, 6+2 power phases or better, overheat protection, extensive and easy to use bios controls. With adequate cooling the CPU should reach 4.5 to 4.8GHz or better
ASROCK
990FX Extreme4
ASUS
M5A97 EVO R2
M5A99X EVO R2

Motherboards to avoid are likely to have 4+1 phase power, underdesigned VRM spec, or they lack essential bios controls. With adequate cooling the CPU may reach 4.2GHz but could also throttle at under 4.0GHz with load.

ASROCK
990FX Extreme3
All 970 chipset models

ASUS
M5A97 LE R2
M5A97 R2

MSI
Currently until I can find out more information I do not recommend MSI boards for the overclocked FX8350

Currently reviewing Gigabyte
Under construction, all comments welcomed, you can trust me content ;)

Last edited:

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
You will have a hard time getting prime stable over 4.6
A lot more vcore would be required and you will be battling against a massive increase in thermals.
The small fft 8k and 12k tests are the most difficult to pass, so do small fft tests to quickly establish the amount of vcore required.

Be careful with IBT, it is possible to pass with all results being invalid.
If the first test isn't a number the rest will almost certainly be the same and it will continue on declaring a successful result.
We had some fun with extreme IBT testing on AMD PD some time ago and the results it threw up were all invalids.
We were trying to break 100 Gflops.

A lot of 83xx big clocks aren't prime stable.
If you read around the forums there is a lot of talk about prime not being designed for AMD etc, which is of course hog wash.

You have probably found that you can game and run apps at much higher than 4.6.
That's fine and a lot of people do just that.
However if you run some heavy duty apps then ignoring the failed prime tests will bite you on the ****.

Last edited:
Caporegime
57c Socket and 46 cores is good, plenty of room left there.

#1, it will run as much as 1.40v 24/7 if your not sure about running more volts. its fine at that.

And you could try adding some more volts to the CPU-NB

#2, Whats your Board Power Line set at?

If its at 110% turn it upto 120%, or 130%.... I wouldn't run it at 140% 24/7.

Also watch your VRM Temps, if they go over 75c it may not like it

Soldato
Try set the multiplier to 24 and the vcore to 1.45 leave the rest to their default value but disable any type of boost feature, thermals should be fine since you are on water. That should give you a 4.8ghz OC.

If you want to stress test i would recommend AIDA64 any day over prime95 and if that isnt good enough even IntelBurnTest with the modified LinPack for AMD is a better option imho.

Last edited:

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Use AIDA it is very easy to pass and wont stress your chip much.
If your games don't crash then job done.

Take it to 5Ghz and post some screenies on overclock.net.

Soldato
A lot of the recent 8320/50s look set to do 4.8GHz+ stable without huge difficulty. Is it a new one?

Don't worry about over 1.4v when temps are under 60C.

Associate
OP
a lot of useful info there Thanks guys as to is it a new one I brought it Christmas just gone.
It's just for gaming no encoding I want a 24/7 everyday clock is 4.8 ok for everyday use?

So from what I read use prime to get my volts and if I can game im good in theory?

Core is safe to 60 and socket 70 I believe

So my 750 w psu is ok for 4.8

Sorry for all questions still new only got overclocking bug last few months and full time game on pc now so still learning thanks for all your input guys will have a go and post results for you :)

Soldato
4.8GHz is a good speed to get to and if the temps are ok, it's ok to stick to that. In games where performance is lower it'll make a massive difference over stock.

Increase your vcore until temps get a bit high and see how high you can clock it. Your PSU is fine, don't worry about that.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
To make it clear.
Getting an 83xx chip prime stable is hard to do at 4.6+, do you require that level of stability ?

You want to game on it so use AIDA or similar to test for basic stability then test some games.

Also you can make AIDA do a reasonably tough test on the FPU by deselecting all tests bar FPU.(Warning will get CPU real toasty)

As others have said 24 x 200 at 1.45v or so should do it.
Don't push the NB too far, 2400Mhz should be enough.
The gain from high NB speeds isn't great on PD so no need to risk instability by pushing it.

If your games CTD then up the vcore a bit.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hi guys tried it im at 4.8 on 1.43 volts ran aida64 for hr no problems temps were fine socket 46 core high 30's i forget exact temp but nothing to worry about i set llc higher i was on air before but now have new loop put llc up and i seem to be stable enough to game at least so im happy thanks for all input will try to push more just to see what she can do ;p

only issue i have is voltage is jumping up to 1.44 and then back down on idle ideas??

Soldato
With the highest LLC it will raise the voltage usually under load, that's completely normal.

4.8GHz at 1.43v and low temps is great. You'll probably get to 5GHz, but power consumption will go up a lot around there, no harm in trying though :)

Associate
OP
no its not under load its on idle just sat on desktop doing nothing jumps from 1.43 up to 1.440 or is this also normal yeah im really glad people say they have really high temps on 8350 but i think i have a good one low voltage and low temps my rig helps have a bitfenix colossus with 7 gentle typhoons 1850 rpm and custom cpu fan i cut into door myself to help socket get some air great flow through case removed hdd cage for no restrictions on flow

Soldato
It seems clear that the newer 8350s are much better performers than the older ones, from all the recent posts. Obviously it put in a wind tunnel like yours sounds will help :)

With such low temps you could go above 1.5v but I wouldn't want to run that permanently. If you want to play around, try getting it to 5GHz. I think you'll do it. For gaming, an 8350 at 4.8GHz stands up well against an i7 in recent games.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
no its not under load its on idle just sat on desktop doing nothing jumps from 1.43 up to 1.440 or is this also normal yeah im really glad people say they have really high temps on 8350 but i think i have a good one low voltage and low temps my rig helps have a bitfenix colossus with 7 gentle typhoons 1850 rpm and custom cpu fan i cut into door myself to help socket get some air great flow through case removed hdd cage for no restrictions on flow

farmerboy can you present some benches from your new settings to gauge against the i5 boyos?

Associate
OP
yeah my friend has an older one and his temps are high and he has a good air flow case and his voltage at same clock is 1.5 ish maybe tad under so im happy

so u think its normal to jump up on voltage on idle then

and yeah its a defo wind tunnel, only when benching to kepp temps down when im gaming i sacrifice higher temps for a slightly quieter system as i game with surround sound so noise is an issue but typhoons aren't as loud as i was led to believe when reading reviews before purchase

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom