2700K Mid Tower White/Black/Red ROG Build

Soldato
mdpc.jpg

Have been getting some parts together for my 'upgrade' which is basically going to be a new White/Red/Black ROG build.

My old PC setup:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Asus P5Q Deluxe (Intel P45)
OCZ Reaper 6GB 1066MHz RAM (2x2GB 2x1GB)
Enermax Pro 82+ 385W PSU
Sapphire 4870 1GB
Asus DRW-2014L1T
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB

'The Grand Plan':

My budget would not stretch to most of the current gen i7's and I didn't want to create an i5 bottleneck (thinking 2x 7950's CF) before I started, so I made the choice to build an 'old' Sandybridge setup and began to source (second hand and new) parts when I could.

Current build contains:
Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme (bought on MM, new boxed)
Intel i7 2700K (bought on the bay)
Avexir Mpower Red series 8GB 1600mhtz (new)
White PC Power & Cooling 600w Silencer MK-III (from MM)
NZXT Kraken X60 AIO 280mm cooler (new)
Fractal Design Define R4 White case w/ Window (new)
Samsung 840 EVO 256GB (new)

Hardware used and swapped/replaced:
Corsair AX1200 modular PSU (MM bargain, a little on the large size & colour didn't fit into the White build)
Corsair H60 (bought on MM, temp use before X60)
Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z (bought on MM, not as stable as the non Z)
Intel I5 2500K (bought on MM for testing purposes)
Kingston HyperX 8GB 1333mhtz (MM for testing purposes, shame colour doesn't fit into my build as clock well!)

I'm going from a Full Tower Lian Li PC75, quite an old case I'd had unused for a few years until I build my current rig in it in 2008. It had originally been destined for watercooling but when I had a motherboard die on me it was a rushed build.
PC75.jpg

Now we all know a lot can happen in 5 years... For me I've gone from living on my own in a large old farm house with all the space in the world to a newish inner city small 2 bed with my girlfriend. Suffice to say I've downsized :D - 2 PC's and a server (2 of them full tower and on 24/7) to a single full tower. My Lian li has had an easy life and not used anywhere near capacity, but it is also silver and doesn't fit into the 'theme' in its new home. I've always (and still do) loved the clean lines and professional understated look of this case. But needs must and I'm changing to a midi-tower in White.

Which leads me to my first problem, the selection of White cases really restricts your choice. I really liked the look of the Corsair 350D:
corsair_350d_25.jpg

So I thought about painting or getting it powdercoated.
Excuse the google search image but all I could find:
350d_white.jpg

The 350D is a very popular case and it's not a cheap case to begin with, so combining +£30 (or more) to make it white really pushes it over my 'soft' ~£120 budget.

I also looked at the CM Silencio 550 and I'd always liked the internal layout of the NZXT Switch Series, but they are only available as Full Tower. So that lead me to look (and enquire) about the NZXT H320 (Pre-Order and ETA is Overdue). I decided the front would be too shiny for what I was looking for.

While discussing options on a thread Mei suggested the Fractal Design Define R4 and I'd then discovered a case I'd previously fallen in love with!

Ideally I want the Windowed version:
Fractal_R4_White_Window.jpg

Due to lots of QC issues with Fractal cases OcUK don't stock them and I bought one elsewhere... I was worried I'd get a box of smashed aluminium and plastic turn up, thankfully I was wrong and it is ok! (and beautiful!) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
First round of pictures!

Everything_boxed.jpg

The Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme is one sweet looking board, there's nothing subtle about the power of this board! :D
Unboxed:
Asus_ROG_Max_IV-E_unboxed.jpg
Closeup:
Asus_ROG_Max-IV-E_closeup.jpg

Next up is the Avexir MPower Red. First time I'll have used Avexir RAM and if it runs as good as it looks I'll be recommending it!

Unboxed:
Avexir_MPower_Red_unboxed1.jpg
In board:
Avexir_MPower_Red_unboxed.jpg

The Corsair AX1200 I bought off the MM has a whole heap of cables, very impressed with the selection! Glad I'm not going to need many of these and have to hide them ;)
Corsair_AX1200_cables.jpg

All I can really do today is check out the colour matches, I have the case (but it's at work) and will get some pictures of it next weekend, when hopefully I'll have a CPU to begin benching! :)

I'm very happy with the colour match of the MPower red, the ROG MAX-IVE and the ATX lead I have, not quite so impressed with the fan extensions... They're too shiny!

Board_ATX_fan_leads.jpg

Colours1.jpg
Colours2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Unboxing pictures of Fractal Design Define R4:

I'm very impressed with the quality of the R4 after all the horror stories I'd read. Although the case is predominatly plastic, it feels very sturdy. The plastic feels slightly flexible so hopefully it'll be quite forgiving when working on it. It's very BRIGHT! The finish is a nice matte, rather than glossy which should be perfect for me and one of the reasons I didn't like many other white cases.

First look at the front, still have the plastic film on the door:
R4_front_top.jpg

The buttons on the front, nice finish again. The rear panels are individual so my plan of removing the front mic/headphone sockets (and replacing them with LED's) will be pretty straight forward. I'll probably be using my hot glue gun to attach them.
R4_buttons.jpg

Behind the door (its very heavy so I'm expecting good sound proofing from it) are several grilles, I'm not overly taken with the look of the 5 1/4"'s but my plan will be to have a DVDRW and fan controller in there anyways...
R4_front_open.jpg

The inbuilt filters and fan mount are easily accessible (tool-less) and very tidy looking. I'll probably have both 140mm fans here that come with the case and save the Corsair LED 120's I have for the rear/bottom/top where they will be more viewable.
R4_front_down.jpg

Now my one major gripe with this case... They ruin the great look of it with a fan switch, even worse it's recessed! Making it even harder to hide! I've no idea what to do with this, but I'll certainly not be using/keeping it!
R4_fan_switch.jpg

Lots of room in this case and a fantastic finish inside:
R4_inside_side.jpg
R4_inside_rear.jpg

Looks like I have a lot of sleeving to do, even without the other cables I'll be adding to this build! Cables at the top left are USB/switches etc (most I'll be keeping), below those are cables to the fan switch (which will be going). The cables to the 2 140mm fans are already sleeved, but I'll redo these to match the rest... Thinking of a white sleeve with black connectors and heatshrink?
R4_case_cables.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
4ghz ram? :D awesome!

Typo! It's OCZ Reaper but it ain't that good! ;)

I already have the 7950 in my Q6600 build, it's an awesome card! :D

Build currently:
I'll update this picture with the current picture as well as adding info into posts as the thread and build continue.

current.jpg

kraken_8_finished.jpg

1st_build.jpg

1st_outside.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Any ideas on the case you'll be running? I'l throw in a NZXT phantom option (maybe the 410 for mid tower etc - personally I like the aesthetics of them :) )

Associate
What board are you thinking of running, I like the sound of this build, I'm a huge ROG fan so I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread ;) Looking forward to the pictures and more updates

Soldato
OP
Big update to my initial thread. Mostly about cases!

Considering:
Avexir Mpower White series 8GB 1600mhtz - but concerned the colours will mix and go Pink in the White case! :o
I'm going to clock both chips on both boards with a Corsair H60 and keep the best :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Any ideas on the case you'll be running? I'l throw in a NZXT phantom option (maybe the 410 for mid tower etc - personally I like the aesthetics of them :) )

The NZXT 410 is a great suggestion, but as with the Phantom series the top 'angle'/pyramid really puts me off! I like to put things on the top of my case (USB attached hard drives, DVD cakeboxes etc). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme (bought on MM, new boxed)
Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z (bought on MM, used)
How have you got access to the MM when you don't have 1000 posts? Is there like a super secret backdoor that grants you access if you do the secret handshake or something...

Soldato
OP
How have you got access to the MM when you don't have 1000 posts? Is there like a super secret backdoor that grants you access if you do the secret handshake or something...

Think its 100 posts? Or possibly due to the time I've been registered?

o i just assumed the 1 at the top changed color or something

okay yeh id be worried on ordering one too :(

looks like this guy just stuck a different color one inside

An LED mod I'll have to do to the R4 if I get it, although I'm tempted to replace one of the front ports (mic/speaker) with a HDD activity LED.

Soldato
Be careful with the front audio ports, don't pull it out too fast, my Arc Midi R2 (pretty much the same) which has had the headphone jack damaged twice. Other than that, the interior is very nice.

Soldato
OP
Be careful with the front audio ports, don't pull it out too fast, my Arc Midi R2 (pretty much the same) which has had the headphone jack damaged twice. Other than that, the interior is very nice.

I have a Roccat Kave headset (5.1) so have to use rear ports anyways.

As mentioned above I'm going to look at replacing one (both?!) of the mic/headphone jacks with HDD activity LED's.

Soldato
OP
DOH! I've only been registered 4 months, Guess I've got a good while to wait before I can gain access to the Holy Ground :(

I'm not sure, but I can tell you for definite you'll have access in 11 years!

I'll be taking some components home (majority are at work) to take some pictures of... I'm still waiting for a processor to turn up before I can do any benching.

Bought a new Fractal Define R4 elsewhere, hopefully they have a good returns policy :p:D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
R4 arrived today, but I cycled to work... Doubt I'll have it home (for pics) until next week unless I can arrange to collect tomorrow morning (when picking up what I hope is a 2700K at the post office).

Back
Top Bottom