Origin (BF4) - Really slow download - HELP!

Associate
Hello all.

This is my first post here on OCUK. I have only been about a short time on this forum as I have just brought myself a new PC from OCUK!

Anyway i hope the community can help me with an issue I am having with Origin, when downloading games.

After downloading Origin and purchasing BF4 DD-Edition I'm only managing to get a download speed between 10-20kbs with ~ 300hours total download time remaining.. :o

I installed all the necessary PC updates, Steam, GW2 with no problem. By this I mean I had a stable 800kbs download rate which is pretty standard for my connection.

Regarding this I have already tried:

Opening router ports
Uninstalling and reinstalling Origin
Stopping and starting the download

What I think the problem is:

Possibly a problem with Origin in my area (South-East England)? I say this because every other download I do seems to be fine.

Any ideas you guys have that may help me solve this issue will be greatly appreciated as I wouldn't mind giving the game I purchased a go!!.

TLDR - Origin is downloading slowly and I need ideas on how to go about speeding it up.

Associate
OP
Gave the speed test a go and it says 6mbps with 29ping. Still only getting between 10 and 15kbs on Origin. Tested on Steam just now too and I'm hitting 1mbps

Associate
OP
Unfortunately not. The only thing I can change is where it downloads to, such as my SSD or HDD neither of which has made a difference. Thanks for the response though, appreciate it.

Associate
is there a firewall slowing it down maybe ?, or maybe some mailware or spyware ?

or maybe the mirror/server your connected to to download it is just been overloaded ?

send origin a email, see if they can help, explain that your speed is fine on speedtest.net, and in steam etc etc.

worth a shot?

Soldato
Does anyone you know have the game on DVD?
They could lend you the DVD for install with your CD key.

Otherwise I have no idea :(
In my experience Origin has been faster then Steam most of the time

Soldato
Account and Privacy > Regional Settings > Country of Residence

If it ISNT set to UK, this could be your problem. Change it to UK, restart origin and find out.

If it IS set to UK, it could still be the problem. Change it to something else, restart origin, change it to UK, restart origin and find out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where in Origin do you find the downloads window you have there, I was interested in my download speeds while getting BF4 myself...
Click the progress bar at the bottom left of the Origin window.

OP you havn't passed any P2P thresholds have you? It might be that your ISP has determined that Origin traffic is P2P and throttles it etc...

Associate
I bought a hard copy of the game to avoind this, took 30 minutes roughly to install it no hassle.

As above if you know anyone with the game discs it will save you some effort.

Soldato
I bought a hard copy of the game to avoind this, took 30 minutes roughly to install it no hassle.

As above if you know anyone with the game discs it will save you some effort.

Downloaded it quicker than that!! :p

Sounds like you have the region setup wrong, or something is blocking you - is your internet throttled at all?

Associate
OP
Contacted EA/Origin last night and nothing they suggested worked so they asked me to phone up their support line. In the end I thought I would just borrow a colleagues hard copy CD and install that way. No issues and I'm playing. At least until they release the expansions :D

Thanks for all the answers anyway guys

Associate
It took me almost 40 minutes to download the uplay installer file size around 50 mb couple days ago it was a joke have 38 Mbps download speed an it was downloading at 5 Kbps lol.
Everything else was downloading full speed so no problems my end.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like a problem with the uplay download servers being hammered than! Maybe EA didn't tell them it was a 24gb download and loads of people wanted it lol ;)

Back
Top Bottom