I'm looking for a "gaming" laptop for under 400 pounds

Associate
I put the word gaming in quotation marks, because I use the term loosely, I am looking for a laptop that can run games comfortably, not things like battlefield, it will be used a lot on Minecraft which it should easily handle and games like total war series, shogun to be more specific.
Well my computer recently broke, but it has been time for an upgrade for a while, I only have £400 tops to spend and a laptop is essential so I cannot get a cheaper higher speced desktop.
I have been scouring the internet for help and would love some advice from the wonderful overclockers community.
I do not have all the money currently, so it will have to be brought on the "Very" website or something similar, as they run a pay nothing for 12 months, so I can easily pay it off In that time.
I should add, my partner paid £330 for her current laptop, which can comfortably play minecraft on the highest settings, I dont know how it would handle the total war series, that's the reason I am avoiding the same model :)
Thanks in advance everyone, it means a lot :)

Associate
OP
These sound good, but I cannot find these for under £400 on the very site, my budget is being stretched at £400, if it comes to it I shall have to settle fir the same laptop as my partner she has a £330 Samsung laptop, although I dont know if it could handle total war, which is a big want for me

Associate
These sound good, but I cannot find these for under £400 on the very site, my budget is being stretched at £400, if it comes to it I shall have to settle fir the same laptop as my partner she has a £330 Samsung laptop, although I dont know if it could handle total war, which is a big want for me

You will have to search the bay for the Dell :)

Associate
Think spending £400 for a gaming laptop is not enough my brothers cost over £1500 an still has problems with some games.
I would try save up more £600 is more like what you need or go second hand.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
£400 is not enough for a gaming laptop, I know, which is why I said I want a general laptop that can easily play minecraft ( I have that covered) I just dont know what I would need to play shogun total war, also it must be on 'very.co.uk" if someone could do me a huge favour and check the website and recommend a laptop for my price? Total war is not a must, just the best specs for gaming, even though not amazing, im nit expecting a super computer, just something that can play a lot of low spec games :3

Associate
OP
This.

Either be patient and try and get a second hand bargain, or don't waste your money on something that won't be up to the job.

as I said in my original post, this is nit a gaming laptop, I already have access to a £300 laptop that plays minecraft with high fps on max settings, let me rephrase the question.
What is the best laptop on Very.co.uk in my price range? And for £400 can I be playing shogun total war?
Sorry for being so unclear originally :)

Associate
OP
The G505 ranges from 450-500 on the very site, is there a better laptop than it for that price? A laptop up to £500 can be considered, but isn't very likely xD
If it comes to it, I might joust get the Samsung and sacrifice my total war

Man of Honour
Most of those games are quite CPU heavy and not so GPU heavy relatively - I'd strongly reccomend trying to get an intel based CPU if your budget can stretch to it - pretty big ask though :S (AMD is probably a better compromise at that price point due to the possible trade off of decent CPU/rubbish GPU or okish CPU/okish GPU though).

Man of Honour
As above, its surprising what integrated graphics can achieve and many such games are more cpu limited rather than gpu. For your games have a search and see what the fps are at what settings.

I got one with a dedicated gfx and well i should have spent. Money on a better laptop, rather than gfx. Gfx is loud and saps power. I actually have it disabled in most games and use the integrated one on the i3.

Wish i had got a touch screen i5 instead.
Oh and go second hand, so much more for your money.

Associate
OP
Im sure you are all being very helpful, but I lack any hardware technical knowledge, so this is all jibberish to me xD
I know the laptop I linked wad bad, but I don't know what is good in my budget, the Lenovo seems good, but it is charged at over £450 on the very sute, which is way too much to pay for a £350 laptop
So I have no idea what im getting at the moment

Soldato
Is mobility/laptop a MUST?

You'd get far more capable hardware if you buy 2nd hand parts and put together a PC.

Don't want to sound rude, but you simply ain't gonna get an enjoyable experience playing Shogun 2 on a £400 laptop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom