Oil change and Oil Filter cost??

Man of Honour
Was it just an oil change or was it what the manufacturer might call an oil service? This would usually include additional checks.

Soldato
£60 was just for labour.
The oil filter was £9 and oil was £38 (Protech 5w-30)
Which totals £107, so being billed £112 you are being ripped off by a fiver.

Otherwise, yeah that sounds about right.
£30 per hour of labour is the average for most places, independent and otherwise. Of course, they do have to stand around waiting for your oil to drain. They can't just go off and work on another job...

Also, you don't know what other difficulties they may have encountered.
A good friend of mine is a professional mechanic and jobs that should cost £20 do sometimes end up at £2-300... because it's taken him four hours just to carefully extract the rusted up sump plug without wrecking your threads, which would have been a £20 job if the owner cleaned their car like he keeps telling them!!!

Seriously, I've seen some utterly awful jobs (even helped out on a few) that would have been quick 10 minute whizz-throughs if the owners had looked after their vehicles.
Conversely, I've seen a BMW oil change require a day's worth of disassembing the car just to reach the ******* thing!!

Soldato
OP
We had a problem they thought was related to the oil / oil filter.

All I know is what they put on the receipt. Oil and filter change.

The annoying thing is this is more then the cost of a service, which includes and oil and filter change.

Soldato
We had a problem they thought was related to the oil / oil filter.

In that case they've either encountered a issue which made the job take longer or they've allowed extra time to diagnose the issue. I certainly think 2 hours seems a lot of labour for a oil change.

Have to tried speaking to the garage? If they're decent then they'll be happy to explain.

Back
Top Bottom