Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 9th Jan 2014, 22:48   #91
'Harry
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86JR View Post
This was in Truro.

Plymouth has completely changed now btw, I don't even think there is a Primark as an independent store anymore.

Is it a poorly made judgement though? How do you know he isn't a WW2 vet and how do you know she isn't a single mother?

Funny how a lot of families on benefits alone now shop at M&S isn't it...says something about how much money they are leeching!
Last time I was in the Plymouth was May 2012. Primark had a massive store in the Drake Circus shopping center.

You based your OP on assumptions you thought would get a largely right wing, well-to-do forum up in arms.
'Harry is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:00   #92
Caged
Capodecina

If statistics existed for M&S customers that could show the proportion of people shopping there who's only source of income was from benefits I would hazard a guess that it's an almost insignificant number.

Not that it should really concern anyone how people choose to spend their money.
Caged is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:01   #93
Mynight
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged View Post
Not that it should really concern anyone how people choose to spend their money.

Completely agree. As long as they've earnt said money though.

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife"
Mynight is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:13   #94
AndyT
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmj_uk View Post
90% of users calling OP a coward would have probably done the same under the circumstances, it's just too easy to have a go at him and look the man in front of everyone else on the forum.

I think the trouble is that authorities are so overzealous and lacking in common sense nowadays that people are scared to get involved in any disputes, you only have to offend/scare someone on Twitter and the police get involved.
Bang on. A lot of immature tools on this thread. The op should have said something, or at the very least comforted the man after, but the amount of people who've got on their high horse and given pretty harsh grief is equally disturbing. I'm sure discussions used to be more civil here. It feels like a lot of users just troll, bait or judge others harshly and very quickly these days. I don't know why it has to descend into a ****ging match so quickly. There's a definite developing pattern of it here, and the sad thing is I find myself getting drawn into it too, which I hate. It's the easiest and most cowardly thing to act the big man online. I'd like to see a return to more civility between members. This isn't 4chan.

Pure mob mentality. GD needs a clean up.
AndyT is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:22   #95
Caged
Capodecina

I can't speak for everyone else who's been having a go but I honestly don't care whether the OP stepped in or not, he has his reasons for not doing so.

I think the reason for the grief is because the thread was clearly started with the expectation of having a bunch of posters pile in and circle-jerk themselves senseless talking about how the country has gone to the dogs, how single parents are scum, anyone who isn't floating around on the magical powers of having pulled themselves up with their own bootstraps is a waste of space etc. There were assumptions made in the OP and irrelevant details added which wouldn't look out of place in the comments section of a tabloid website that everyone loves to hate.

If you're going to clean up GD then all the low quality posting has to go with it, and that doesn't exclude the first post in this thread.
Caged is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:24   #96
Dunks
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Bang on. A lot of immature tools on this thread. The op should have said something, or at the very least comforted the man after, but the amount of people who've got on their high horse and given pretty harsh grief is equally disturbing. I'm sure discussions used to be more civil here. It feels like a lot of users just troll, bait or judge others harshly and very quickly these days. I don't know why it has to descend into a ****ging match so quickly. There's a definite developing pattern of it here, and the sad thing is I find myself getting drawn into it too, which I hate. It's the easiest and most cowardly thing to act the big man online. I'd like to see a return to more civility between members. This isn't 4chan.

Pure mob mentality. GD needs a clean up.
It's been like this since I joined, nothing's changed.

GD <3

Dunks is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:27   #97
'Harry
PermaBanned

nothing of worth here.
Last edited by 'Harry; 9th Jan 2014 at 23:30.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:29   #98
'Harry
PermaBanned

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone else who's been having a go but I honestly don't care whether the OP stepped in or not, he has his reasons for not doing so.

I think the reason for the grief is because the thread was clearly started with the expectation of having a bunch of posters pile in and circle-jerk themselves senseless talking about how the country has gone to the dogs, how single parents are scum, anyone who isn't floating around on the magical powers of having pulled themselves up with their own bootstraps is a waste of space etc. There were assumptions made in the OP and irrelevant details added which wouldn't look out of place in the comments section of a tabloid website that everyone loves to hate.

If you're going to clean up GD then all the low quality posting has to go with it, and that doesn't exclude the first post in this thread.
This.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:31   #99
AndyT
Hitman

Quote:

Fair point, but it just seems like 3/4 of the posts (or more) are just drivel. More often that not it's a crap meme reference, a knee jerk judgment or the infuriatingly ubiquitous "this". It's become so banal. It might sound cliched but I'm sure it wasn't like this a few years back. I only mention it because I'm starting to lose enjoyment of browsing the forums a bit, and I doubt I'm the only one.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:35   #100
Kenai
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
I'm sure it wasn't like this a few years back.
It was.

Hell, a few years back the constant meme posting etc. led to things being put in the word filters and bans being handed out for posting certain images, if anything it was worse.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...63&postcount=2

Last edited by Kenai; 9th Jan 2014 at 23:37.
Kenai is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:37   #101
eddiemcgarrigle
Mobster

I've been in the position of looking for a 'Parent & Child' space only to find some of them populated by blue badge holders while loads of spaces for them, remained empty. The reason, the green spaces where closer to the door than the blue spaces.

I'm more irked these days by the proliferation of idiots who take up two spaces rather than one and I've even seen a car (audi) parked in such a way as to take up four spaces. If your car is so precious that you are afraid to get it scratched, leave it in your garage.

I did have a chuckle though when I saw two cars beside each other taking up four spaces (two spaces each) and someone had parked their Smart Car in between the two.

eddiemcgarrigle is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:41   #102
~>Dg<~
Capodecina

the difference now is those in the inner circle groups get away with it unlike avh joe whole get a suspension or infraction. just sad people who have nothing better in life to do.

don't worry about it.

to the op cant really judge the situation not enough details.

~>Dg<~ is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:54   #103
djshauny1
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86JR View Post
So what have you done with your life? What do you do to help people? Why are you on here talking to me and not helping feed young children in Africa?
djshauny1 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 23:55   #104
AndyT
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
It was.

Hell, a few years back the constant meme posting etc. led to things being put in the word filters and bans being handed out for posting certain images, if anything it was worse.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...63&postcount=2
Ha, I like the sound of that. I think I started viewing the forums regularly after that set of culls. Still feels like a downward trend though.
Old 10th Jan 2014, 00:44   #105
^TANK^
PermaBanned

Op is a coward.
^TANK^ is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 00:46   #106
estebanrey
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^TANK^ View Post
Op is a coward.

estebanrey is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 00:50   #107
^TANK^
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by estebanrey View Post
Old 10th Jan 2014, 00:51   #108
Nitefly
Man of Honour

Jesus what the hell is up with the replies in this thread?! Holy lynch the OP for no reason batman.

Nitefly is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 00:57   #109
Sin_Chase
Capodecina

I would not trust twoblacklines to take a half decent photograph of a VW Passat.

Don't complain about someone doing something if you do nothing to mediate/resolve the matter.

If you felt that strongly about it to post on a forum you should have said something there and then. This whole "Police would think I assaulted her" is something you made up after the fact because you chose to stand back and watch. Who thinks that as the first thing in a situation as described?

Basically - You watched from the corner of the multi-story something evolve that you thought was utterly wrong. Be it at the time or only on reflection. Don't bring excuses into it about what you did or did not do. Keep it to yourself next time.
Sin_Chase is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 01:04   #110
^TANK^
PermaBanned

Steady now or you'll have a meme thrown at you.
Old 10th Jan 2014, 01:04   #111
V F
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
It's GD nothing changes, it's the **** pit of ocuk!

Thankfully the other sections are fine
Wait a minute? That means General Discussion is off limits? There's no rules here?

Quote:
No swearing, posting of "adult" material, personal attacks or "trolling"
OcUK would like you and your whole family to learn and share via our forums. For this reason swearing and the posting of "adult" or offensive material is forbidden. Simply replacing some of the letters in a swearword with a * or any other character is not acceptable. If you must then please replace the whole word with ***** or other repeated character. We also expect members to behave respectfully and not launch personal or abusive attacks on other members. Those who post for the sole purpose of causing trouble are not welcome here and will be dealt with accordingly.
Most of that behaviour happens in this part of the forum. I keep reading family forum, then see this behaviour…. Hmm…

Quote:
Originally Posted by oulton View Post
such a scared pussy you are/
Quote:
Originally Posted by oulton View Post
your still a pussy though. I have a pair of balls between my legs. If I see someone doing something i find outrageous i will tell them. And to mention ww2.... pppfff talk about irony.
Quote:
This place is full of keyboard warriors
It's pathetic, isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sityeuropa View Post
Can't believe there are so many people still wanting to cling onto a failing state.
Last edited by V F; 10th Jan 2014 at 01:09.
V F is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 01:19   #112
Robbo
Underboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefly View Post
Jesus what the hell is up with the replies in this thread?! Holy lynch the OP for no reason batman.
I suspect it stems from the fact that nobody believes what twoblacklines says anyway. This probably didn't even happen.

Robbo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 01:40   #113
d_brennen
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post
So mad you didn't do anything? No wonder crap like this happens.
This. Well done OP

d_brennen is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 02:32   #114
Skull
Mobster

OP, standing 10 inches taller and weighing 40kg more than the average man, failed to approach a woman shouting at an elderly couple and say "come on love, be reasonable, all the disabled spots are full".

The internet is a gateway into the lives of some very odd people.
Skull is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 03:07   #115
areksnumbr1sxylady
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull View Post
OP, standing 10 inches taller and weighing 40kg more than the average man, failed to approach a woman shouting at an elderly couple and say "come on love, be reasonable, all the disabled spots are full".

The internet is a gateway into the lives of some very odd people.
He could`ve got some pasty smashing afterwards too...
areksnumbr1sxylady is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 06:06   #116
chief barker
Mobster

Quote:
This place is full of keyboard warriors
Yes true, which ones though? Mechanical?
chief barker is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 06:33   #117
"andy"
Capodecina

lol at sticking up for a 'defenceless old man' being called keyboard warrior. only on ocuk !
"andy" is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 07:12   #118
Cosimo
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by "andy" View Post
lol at sticking up for a 'defenceless old man' being called keyboard warrior. only on ocuk !
Lol at the GD lynch mob who would have most probably done the same as the OP.

Cosimo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 07:16   #119
Cosimo
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief barker View Post
Yes true, which ones though? Mechanical?
Mechanical ones make them even more self-righteous and brave.

Cosimo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 07:26   #120
Milkybk
Soldato

Ah the classic GD switcharoo as everyone quickly shifts to the other side of the fence as more replies roll in. It's like a soap opera but without Danny Dyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippi90 View Post
Ahhh Austria. The land that prefers Daddies sauce to Heinz.
Milkybk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote