• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** MY REVIEW: ASUS 290X DC2 vs ASUS 290X REFERENCE!! **

OcUK Staff
HI there

OK I have what some could argue the perfect review, a comparison of the Asus 290X DC2 compared to the Asus 290X reference card. Even better both of these cards use Elpida memory, so we can see if Asus's new mosfet controller for the memory helps to improve overclocking mileage. Plus of course we can see how the DC2 cooler compares to AMD's reference cooler.

First of all, a bit of eye candy:-

qoyj.jpg

3fnm.jpg
so82.jpg

w4f1.jpg

First Thoughts

OK first impressions are what a piece of engineering, the card is superbly put together, nothing feels cheap on this card at all, it is built like a Porsche or Mercedes in the graphics card world. The cooler is absolutely massive, particular in height compared to others and the included backplate looks great. So pretty excited to get this one fired up and in the machine.

The cooler, performance, noise levels etc

As stated previously the best most powerful cooler I've tested to date is the Sapphire Tri-X and I have to say the Asus DC2 is the only cooler so far that can match the Tri-X cooler, its performance is equal to the Sapphire with fans at 100%, it is also equal to the AMD reference cooler as well, infact better. But one big plus for the Asus is at 100% fan, the noise is still bearable, it is by no means quiet, but it does not sound like a hairdryer or hoover like the reference card does at 100%. The Sapphire is also pretty loud too, but again quieter than reference. Where the DC2 beats them all is that 50% fan speed you will still be below 90c in temperature and pretty much in silence, I am yet to see a cooler as efficient as the DC2 with such low fan speeds, superb work Asus. The Asus DC2 is I'd say the quietest cooler out there.

I did some mining test, a great way to build up heat, here are the results between the Asus DC2 and reference, you can see the DC2 can maintain temperatures at half the noise level.

The backplate also works very well, it does not heatsoak at all and is clearly helping remove heat from the card, so another thumbs up there.

Overclocking

On the core this card was not particular fond of voltage like my reference card with the air cooler, typically 1.35v was the optimal voltage for this card which could get the core to 1200MHz but with artefacts, 1170MHz was max artefact free core speed. Whereas my reference card which likes voltage right upto 1.41v is happy to push to around 1200MHz core artefact fee and on towards 1220ish for benching. This is simply down to the silicon lottery though and nothing to do with the card/PCB designs.

Now lets talk memory overclocking, my reference card has Elpida memory, which is know to not clock quite as good as SK-Hynix memory, it will achieve 6200Mhz before I get the famous black screens in gaming, benching etc. Now the Asus DC2 has a new power design for the memory, mosfet moving away from AMD's Direfet, I was dubious about this move by Asus as AMD's Direfet is premium kit. So this DC2 card is also equipped with Elpida memory but more impressively the card was happy to run black screen free without any issues at 6600MHz, I even had it bench stable at 6800MHz and it even tried to bench at 7000MHz. This I have never seen from an Elpida card previously!

So was it the mosfet improving the overclock, or was it just lucky to get some decent clocking Elpida, or did maybe Asus just increase the voltage to the memory on the DC2. What I'd really like to see is a SK-Hynix DC2 equipped card to see if 7000-7400MHz would be possible, something I shall keep my eyes open for on incoming stock.

Right now it does look like Asus mosfet is a better solution to AMD's but to be 100% on this we need to see more reviews and more results from end-users to see if the Asus DC2 is taking Elpida RAM further than AMD reference cards could.

The cooler also had no issues with handling the card overclocked with lots of voltage and was still able to remain very quiet whilst gaming and not so bad under mining, though be warned for mining you should always run at stock speeds or slower for best performance.

Benchmark Results

Crypto-Mining - Asus DC2 with 100% fan which is not that loud

y1jr.jpg

Crypto-Mining - Asus reference with 100% fan, stupidly LOUD!

bf52.jpg

Crypto-Mining - Asus reference with 55% fan, still louder than Asus DC2 fan at 100%

arhu.jpg

What does this tell you? Well it tells you the DC2 cooler is bloody excellent, its vastly quieter than reference cooler but also far more powerful. For everyones info I can reduce the DC2 fan speed down to 50% under mining and still remain under 90c, this is very close to being very quiet indeed. The reference card will over-heat with anything less than 55% which is louder than the DC2 fan at 100%.
In short the DC2 cooler is not only extremely efficient due to superb fans, but its cooler is also very powerful as well. :)

Heaven stock results Reference VS DC2

39tz.jpg
tmv9.jpg

Heaven OC Results (Reference @ 1200/6200 VS DC2 @ 1200/6500)

bj6t.jpg
mps1.jpg

You can see the DC2 card is a few FPS faster at stock, simply because it comes at higher clock speeds out of the box. Overclocked the DC2 still has a small lead over the reference due to a 300MHz superior memory overclock, but at 1080P it only gives a marginal improvement in performance. Overclocking in general gives very good gains on both cards and I'd recommend a gaming overclock on the DC2 of 1100-1150MHz core and 6000MHz memory, for a decent 10% or so performance boost.

Conclusion

+ One of the best custom coolers on the market, largest heatsink, powerful quiet fans, pretty much unbeatable, only really matched by Sapphires Tri-X cooler.
+ Near silent running, even when gaming!
+ Very cool running, idles around 40c and typical load 60-70c
+ Looks superb!
+ Hotwire function for elite overclockers, we shall test this in the future. ;)
+ Ability to pick your own colour scheme (Red or Gold)
+ Power connector LEDs
+ Great out the box performance
+ Great for mining in multiple card configurations as the cards can cool themselves OK even when close to each other.
+ A great card for crossfire!

- Expensive
- Elpida memory
- Good mining performance, but not excellent, due to Elpida memory

Out of all the 290X out there, if you can stretch your budget to meet the price, its one of the best out there, especially if you want both a cool and quiet card when gaming. If your benchmarking or mining, the Sapphire and MSI are better due to Hynix memory, though they don't guarantee as such, if Asus had Hynix it would be the perfect card.

Overall 8/10 (would be 10/10 if it was £50 less and had Hynix RAM)

Any questions, just ask! :)

Last edited:
Associate
No cutouts in the backplate like the MSI is disappointing, small touch but could help heat.

Also is this still the 780 clone cooler as in some of the chips aren't even covered properly?

Nice review so far :D Its certainly very aesthetic!

Associate
The elpida memory is really crap compared to hynix,got a sapphire 280x vapour x last week and this beast over clocks 1200/core and a massive 1800 on the memory at 1.25v,and I feel it will go even further if I up the volts,that's why I went for the sapphire,excellent cooler ,hynix memory and fantastic oc,having a small issue but been told new and driver will fix the problem

OcUK Staff
OP
So conclusion is that the power design for the memory of reference card is poo :rolleyes:

Testing one card is not conclusion enough, this could just have had good clocking Elpida memory as others have managed to push Eplida to such levels on AMD reference cards, it's just rare.

We need one with Hynix memory to prove Asus MOSFET controller is better and it would need to pass 7000MHz stable as AMD cards with Hynix can typically see 6600-6800MHz with the odd examples hitting 7000MHz.

OcUK Staff
OP
What are temps/fanspeeds/noise like in a closed case? Like a lot of people, I don't run my PC in pieces all over the kitchen table!

Temps, depends on your case airflow, could be similar to it out in open or less or more, really depends on case and fan setup.

Noise, well if temps in a well setup case is same as my testing, it would be quieter, if your case airflow is poor and it runs hotter then it will be louder.

Pretty self explanatory and that is my home PC and is how it runs, I don't need a case. :p

Soldato
Testing one card is not conclusion enough, this could just have had good clocking Elpida memory as others have managed to push Eplida to such levels on AMD reference cards, it's just rare.

We need one with Hynix memory to prove Asus MOSFET controller is better and it would need to pass 7000MHz stable as AMD cards with Hynix can typically see 6600-6800MHz with the odd examples hitting 7000MHz.
But with so many people getting blackscreen (even at stock clock) and ended up sending the cards back, there's most likely something fell short on AMD's part on the design for their reference board I think?

Soldato
Temps, depends on your case airflow, could be similar to it out in open or less or more, really depends on case and fan setup.

Noise, well if temps in a well setup case is same as my testing, it would be quieter, if your case airflow is poor and it runs hotter then it will be louder.

Pretty self explanatory and that is my home PC and is how it runs, I don't need a case. :p

I was thinking of the Toms Hardware tests they did in a closed case and got surprising results. It's almost like the card manufacturers design the cards knowing they will be reviewed on open benches, so work get the most favourable results there.

OcUK Staff
OP
But with so many people getting blackscreen (even at stock clock) and ended up sending the cards back, there's most likely something fell short on AMD's part on the design for their reference board I think?

Our returns rate is less than 5%, same for a card like GTX 780, so I think that maybe the black screen issue is overly talked about but in reality can't be that bad when the statistics for returns seem pretty much around the same as other high-end cards from AMD and NVIDIA.

I don't think there is any issue with the reference board, I've got one in my home PC, I only get a black screen if I try to push the memory from its stock 5000Mhz to beyond 6200MHz, anything under 6200MHz and there is no issue. I've tested cards at OcUK upto 6600-6800MHz with no black screen issues. Several members of staff here have 290's in crossfire and tri-fire, again no black screen issues.

If there was a failure in the design we'd have a 100% return rate. So AMD's design seems perfectly fine and until more custom cards come out, there is nothing to say that cards not using AMD designs won't suffer the same black screens. What it could most likely be is the simple fact Hawaii is a brand new architecture and some of the game coders are still adapting their software to run properly on it, hence why we see both game patches and AMD software to address the issue. Which obviously has some truth to it as newer cards still using AMD reference design seem to be having less issues which is no doubt down too because new purchases are using new software, later AMD drivers, games already patched. But more importantly it was probably something to do with the BIOS on the cards.

My Asus 290X reference at home before would only benchmark upto 6200MHz and was only game stable and black screen free upto around 5800-6000MHz. Asus released a new BIOS and I can now game upto 6200MHz and benchmark upto 6500Mhz.

So I personally feel that the issue is a mix of BIOS not correctly optimised for the memory fitted to the cards and drivers/software patches not correctly optimised for Hawaii architecture.

Caporegime
@ Gibbo

So with what you now know - If you were to buy a non ref 290, which would you get?

I know im not gibbo scotts but ill give my 2cents anyway.

Water cooling - cheapest amd reference card
air cooling - in this order - sapphire trix - msi gaming - gigabyte - powercolor - asus.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know im not gibbo scotts but ill get my 2cents anyway.

Water cooling - cheapest amd reference card
air cooling - in this order - sapphire trix - msi gaming - gigabyte - powercolor - asus.

The card will be run on air.

I have it narrowed down to between Sapphire and MSI,

learning towards the MSI as that's what my 7970's were (they are missed :()

Caporegime
The card will be run on air.

I have it narrowed down to between Sapphire and MSI,

learning towards the MSI as that's what my 7970's were (they are missed :()

I'd go with the Sapphire if i was you. However both are great cards. The Sapphire just looks so damn nice. You can remove coolers without voiding warranty on both, but MSI have one extra year. Sapphire has better cooling potential though so will likely clock further. It handles high voltage better as well because it can keep the core/vrm's cooler and the fans can run at higher speed. 3 fans > 2 fans. #LT's2Cents

Soldato
I'd go with the Sapphire if i was you. However both are great cards. The Sapphire just looks so damn nice. You can remove coolers without voiding warranty on both, but MSI have one extra year. Sapphire has better cooling potential though so will likely clock further. It handles high voltage better as well because it can keep the core/vrm's cooler and the fans can run at higher speed. 3 fans > 2 fans. #LT's2Cents

Valid points - as I know I'll rag the **** of it :D

OcUK Staff
OP
@ Gibbo

So with what you now know - If you were to buy a non ref 290, which would you get?

HI there

Maximum OC potential or mining - Sapphire Tri-X, Hynix memory, powerful cooler!
Good all rounder and good mining - MSI Gaming
Best build quality, best cooler - Asus DC2.

If Asus had Hynix RAM it would be my number one choice, but in my testing both Sapphire 290X Tri-X and MSI 290X Gaming have both managed 6600MHz+ on the memory and they use AMD reference PCB. Of course you might / could get an Elpida based Sapphire or MSI, though I am yet to see them with Elpida, so far they have all being Hynix. :)

Hope that helps. :)

Back
Top Bottom