VPN Services?

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a cheap but good VPN service that offers Japanese servers please?

Which also works for mobile services like andorid and iOS.

Totally new to VPN's. :p

Associate
I think it depends on what you are looking for.

The easiest way to do this, is use Amazon's AWS free tier and set up an EC2 instance using their Tokyo datacentre. I've used OpenVPN on EC2 and I've got an OpenVPN instance in Ireland for my own use. Their free client server will give you access to two concurrent connections... any more than this, you'll need to pay $7.50 per client connection.

This will require manually setting up but is worth it. You'll only pay for the data used once you go beyond the free tier (+ any additional OpenVPN licenses that you require).

However, if you are looking for something a little more off the shelf then hopefully others will be able to suggest something for you.

Soldato
So what? are you going to use it for illegal purposes? then look elsewhere.

No but I'm struggling to think why you'd pay good money for a VPN that is shady in that way, and promises not to log but has a setup that enables an agency to tie an IP to an individual connection.

If you don't care about online privacy and being identified, just don't buy a VPN. It seems strange to say 'So what?' to a VPN company compromising a paying customer having taken cash on the premise of anonymity. Keeping your data, metadata and personal life private is a right, not a trivial issue.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
The same “EarthVPN” account (never reported stolen) clearly states that identification of this customer might have been possible using datacenter logs.

LOL @ the referral link at the end of the article.

Soldato
OP
Thank you all replying.

To sum up, I just need a good stable VPN for playing a web game called Kancolle. So far the free VPN's in VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers are working but every so often they screw up a bit.

Just a few more questions please. Are the IP's you get from the VPN just for you or are they shared among others?

Is it possible to use the VPN for a web browser like Chrome and keep using my normal internet for everything else?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you all replying.

To sum up, I just need a good stable VPN for playing a web game called Kancolle. So far the free VPN's in VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers are working but every so often they screw up a bit.

Just a few more questions please. Are the IP's you get from the VPN just for you or are they shared among others?

Is it possible to use the VPN for a web browser like Chrome and keep using my normal internet for everything else?

Try someone like Private Internet Access, who have a reputation for good bandwidth as well as being active privacy advocates. Or there's companies like IVPN, Mullvad and AirVPN who are OK too.

If it's for browser use only then you only really need a proxy, but for the money I'd just get a VPN from a company that also includes a proxy in the package (like PIA and many others).

Any decent privacy-oriented company will use shared dynamic IPs, and that means that - provided no logs are kept - that no one user's activity can be tied to any particular 'real' IP address. Having 10 to 20 people sharing an IP, with no logs of who is online and when, means you're not only technically untraceable but also have plausible deniability.

Companies like PIA and IVPN keep no logs, no connection logs and run services from RAM only meaning nothing even touches a hard drive. Other VPN companies aren't privacy oriented at all, and will keep logs whether they explicitly advertise it or not (eg HideMyAss, StrongVPN, VyprVPN and TorVPN who not only log but at least two of them have had users arrested and charged based on those logs).

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Thank you all replying.

Be careful as they might get a little suspicious if they see many users coming from the same IP. Do they permit the use of a VPN?

Soldato
OP
Be careful as they might get a little suspicious if they see many users coming from the same IP. Do they permit the use of a VPN?

Technically the game is region locked just for the Japanse only but DMM.com who produces it said they are aware of us gaijins playing but don't care or mind us.

Associate
In order to offer high quality services, VPN providers have to pay considerable amount for the bandwidth and it makes it hard to find a reliable service with low price.
While you search for low cost VPN service please note that very cheap VPN Providers are more likely to log your activities and serve contextual ads while you're connected. They're also more likely to use your usage habits to tailor future ads to you, have fewer exit locations, and weak commitments to privacy so if logging and privacy are important to you, you may want to avoid them.

In regards to Japanese VPN , I remember Purevpn.com has a server in Tokyo with a reasonable price (I tried it once and it was satisfying) however you might find other reliable vendors offering Japanese IPs if you google for it.

Back
Top Bottom